Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD Remote with WMC

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
ravsitar

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD Remote with WMC

Post by ravsitar » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:10 pm

I just swapped out my old Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2255 with a new Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD in WMC for Win7 and now I'm fighting with my remote.

I use a Harmony 650 remote and when I put the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD into it, I lost a lot of my commands.

I've fiddle with this for a few hours and ended up adding the old WinTV-quadHD back into the remote and adding a Microsoft Windows Media Center device. That gets me most of the commands back, but there are still some missing.

Anyone have a better way to do this?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Not sure what you mean by put the card into the remote. The card doesn't change how WMC reacts to a remote. For my Harmony 650 I use a WMC profile to control WMC The card did come with some little remote that I didn't use and is intended to be used if you use the Hauppauge software to run the tuner (rather than using WMC). If your 650 was controlling WMC properly before you should not have had to change anything.

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 am

Strange. Before to get my Harmony to work right, I used a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2255 the device to control. So when I got the new card, I removed the old device from the Harmony software and added the new one.

Now I'm curious;
-Did you install WinTv from Hauppauge or just the drivers for the WinTV-quadHD when you swapped it out?
-What device do you use in the Harmony software for the DVR? Can you give me the specific name?

It sounds like I did something different with my old setup then you did.

Thanks.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 am

Now I'm confused. The only software you should have installed is the driver for Windows. WMC is what does everything else. I never used any Harmony DVR software, WMC is far superior for that purpose. Were you really using WMC before as your DVR software?

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:39 am

Yep I was using WMC, but when I installed the new tuner card, the default package from Hauppauge included WinTV. I think I'll purge out the full WintTV software and just replace it with the driver.

By the Harmony software, I meant the harmony remote software. When I set up the remote originally, I picked the WinTV-HVR-2255 as the device for the remote and it worked just fine. Likely because that device was fully WMC compliant. Now picking the WinTV-quadHD in the remote software doesn't let the remote fully control WMC.

So for your setup, what device do you have setup in your Harmoney 650 to control WMC?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 am

Oh, now I understand. I have the original Microsoft remote IR receiver that I use with a harmony remote. That is the receiver that came with the Microsoft WMC remote.

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:23 pm

That makes sense.

I've contacted Hauppauge about this and I'll see what they come up with. If nothing else, I can simply buy a WMC compliant IR receiver and set that up in my Harmony remote.

ravsitar

Post by ravsitar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Quick update to close this out.

I confirmed with Hauppauge that the remote that comes with WinTV-quadHD is not fully WMC compatible.

I ended up buying a cheap remote with ir receiver from amazon ( http://a.co/aRZg7ae ). I removed all of the Hauppauge devices from the Harmony remote and put in the Ortek IR device. Everything is good to go now.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 am

Glad you got it sorted. I like that Ortek and have used it quite a bit. The fact that it can do mouse movement/clicks is quite handy.