Macbook Air Clone?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
erkotz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Macbook Air Clone?

Post by erkotz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 pm

My laptop is almost out of warranty, so I'm starting to kick around the idea of a replacement machine, and one thing I keep coming back to is I like the 13.3" Macbook Air, specifically, I like:
Under 3lbs
1440x900 screen
IPS Panel

Unfortunately, I don't like:
Made by Apple
Firmware bugs
Bootcamp driver bugs
Lack of TPM
Keyboard

Can anyone suggest a machine that is physically similar to the Macbook Air, but made by another company? In particular, it absolutely must have a high-res screen (something in the general area of 1440x900 - most of the machines out there seem to be 1370x768, which is too low). It also must be lightweight (~3lbs, but I won't even look at it if it's over 4lbs). Should have a TPM module available, too.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

You may want to check out the Asus UX31... its pretty similar to the macbook air, with a 1600x900 screen. I personally couldn't get used to the keyboard, but that was just my own experience.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:07 pm

The ASUS Zenbook UX31 is what you need....1600x900 screen, TPM, 2.78lbs

http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/159

http://commercial.asus.com/pdfs/datashe ... ged%29.pdf
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:38 pm

Hmm, that's close, but I'm not certain it's exactly what I want. The biggest standout is no TPM module (though I've seen some information a TPM MIGHT be available for it, I'm still trying to confirm). I'd also like either 8GB of RAM, or 4GB + the ability to upgrade - my current ~3 year old machine has 4GB of RAM, so it seems almost like I'm buying a new machine with the same specs.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:48 pm

The datasheet specifically indicates there is a TPM module.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm

erkotz,

I have the 2012 MacBook Air, and aside from a few quirks it's the best laptop I have ever owned. I exclusively run Windows on it.
Build quality is superb. the mouse pad is the best I have tried.
For my purpose ( I have a dedicated PC for general grinding work), it fits the bill.

Regarding the TPM module; Would TrueCrypt and an SD flash card do the trick? It would be pretty much 'installed' lol.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 pm

stonethecrows wrote:erkotz,

I have the 2012 MacBook Air, and aside from a few quirks it's the best laptop I have ever owned. I exclusively run Windows on it.
Build quality is superb. the mouse pad is the best I have tried.
For my purpose ( I have a dedicated PC for general grinding work), it fits the bill.

Regarding the TPM module; Would TrueCrypt and an SD flash card do the trick? It would be pretty much 'installed' lol.
Unfortunately, it really wouldn't - I'm looking at the TPM for DirectAccess, too. I've also hit some issues (Apple's BootCamp drivers do not like Driver Verifier) and Bios CSM modules (why can't they support booting windows in UEFI mode) that kind of turned me off from it. It's not out of the running, but it's not really what I want to be honest, either :-/

Maybe I'll just see if I can extend the warranty on my laptop and re-visit this in a year :-/

STC

Post by STC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 pm

If you find something with a remotely similar track pad, let me know.
Rubbing your fingers along glass all day long is bliss.
And two finger gestures in Windows is something Microsoft have really screwed up on not following suit.

[you can work around not having buttons...]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 am

I have always hated trackpads. I loved the IBM eraser nubbin thing in the keyboard.

Then I lost my IBM and started getting Dells. I immediately switched to external mouse, because the Dell hardware--all of it--is crap.

So when I started also using a Mac laptop--this was about 8 years ago--I was stunned when I fell in love with the trackpad. To this day, it's the only trackpad I can use--and I never bother with an external mouse ever, it's that good.

Agreed 100% on the trackpad.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:03 am

The touchpad on the Samsung Series 9 can be configured to act like a Mac's, including the "click" of the pad. It's not glass, though. The Samsung Series 9 matches or beats my Mac Book Air spec for spec except for the screen resolution and the smaller SSD.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:24 am

but trust me, the touch and action of the trackpad is crap compared to what Apple uses.

It may be configurable to act like a Mac's, but that's like saying Sofia Vergara and Roseanne Barr are both women.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 am

kingwr wrote:The touchpad on the Samsung Series 9 can be configured to act like a Mac's, including the "click" of the pad. It's not glass, though. The Samsung Series 9 matches or beats my Mac Book Air spec for spec except for the screen resolution and the smaller SSD.
Unfortunately, Screen Resolution is a *MAJOR* point to me. I'm basically digging my heels in the sand on this one and not willing to bend,which unfortunately seems to severely limit my options. What is it with manufacturers and these crappy low-res screens?

Personally, I don't really care if my notebook has a pointing stick or a touchpad - I've grown used to both. I will say the trackpad on the macbook air felt weird to me (and I normally use the trackpad on my current machine) but maybe I just wasn't used to it.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:23 am

erkotz wrote:Unfortunately, Screen Resolution is a *MAJOR* point to me. I'm basically digging my heels in the sand on this one and not willing to bend,which unfortunately seems to severely limit my options. What is it with manufacturers and these crappy low-res screens?
$$$$$$$.

Because so many people (seem to) buy on price, the majority of the manufacturers respond to that.

Apple, however, doesn't play that game--and interestingly enough, they've proven that they don't have to. People are literally banging down their doors to spend the appropriate amount of money on quality systems and service. That puts the lie to the "value=price" fiction that Dell et al. keep foisting on us.

Go ahead, Asus, put a real screen in that baby--then hold your head high and price it accordingly.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 am

To be honest, I prefer lower-resolution screens on anything 13" or smaller... that doesn't mean I like poor viewing angles and overly reflective screens, but I do feel like there's such thing as too small.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:34 am

adam1991 wrote:
erkotz wrote:Unfortunately, Screen Resolution is a *MAJOR* point to me. I'm basically digging my heels in the sand on this one and not willing to bend,which unfortunately seems to severely limit my options. What is it with manufacturers and these crappy low-res screens?
$$$$$$$.

Because so many people (seem to) buy on price, the majority of the manufacturers respond to that.

Apple, however, doesn't play that game--and interestingly enough, they've proven that they don't have to. People are literally banging down their doors to spend the appropriate amount of money on quality systems and service. That puts the lie to the "value=price" fiction that Dell et al. keep foisting on us.

Go ahead, Asus, put a real screen in that baby--then hold your head high and price it accordingly.
But the thing is, I'm looking at business class machine ($1000-$1500, so the same price range as the Macbook Airs) and they all have those crappy screen still.

@Mark, there's no such thing as too high res a screen - just increase the DPI

CaseV7

Post by CaseV7 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:59 pm

I am in love with the Lenovo U300s, fantastic hardware.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... e=Features

-Casey

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm

CaseV7 wrote:I am in love with the Lenovo U300s, fantastic hardware.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... e=Features

-Casey
Unfortunately, the screens on them are all 1366x768, which means they are not suitable for me.