Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

garyan2 wrote:Apparently you are recording something at 12:20 PM everyday. Did you mean to update at 12:20 AM? the time in the task should then be 00:20.

Code: Select all

[7/13/2017 12:54:22 PM] [ERROR] A program recording is currently in progress. Aborting the mxf file import.
I`ll put in a plug here for the stuff I posted a little while back. :)
You can set up to get an e-mail notification if the EPG123 guide update fails for some reason.
That way you don't need to worry about checking the logs all the time to see of things ran properly.
See the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=10984

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 am

I am recording a bunch of Dr Who episodes. The episode name includes the season and episode info (eg s08e01 Deep Breath) - I think this is an option with EPG123. I also use MCEBuddy to transcribe the wtv file to mp4. MCEBuddy handles the other shows that I am record since updating to EPG123 fine ... but I think the S08E01 for this Dr Who episode is throwing MCEBuddy off as it names this episode 'S08E01-Terror of the Autons' which aired back in 1971 ...

Terror of the Autons was the first story of season 8 of Doctor Who. It was notable for being a "gentle reboot" of the Jon Pertwee era

I have removed the S08E01 from the episode name for this file and I am running it through MCEBuddy again ... I'll report back about what I find.

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 am

ruff_hi wrote:I'll report back about what I find.
No change. It must be a Dr Who thing as it has been around too long.

W10MC

Post by W10MC » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 pm

The combination of EPG123 and Schedules Direct is definitely recommended for anyone seeking to get the most out of Media Center. It offers a significant improvement in data quality compared to the Rovi implementation.
-Mike

Windows 10 Media Center Community
An independent project for media application development.

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm

ruff_hi wrote:My avast anti virus program reports epg123Setup_v1.1.10.exe as malware. I searched for avast in this thread (no hits) so I am wondering ... false positive ... or ... ?

Tue July 11th
Got a response back from Avast ...

Hello,

Thanks for your patience, our Virus lab has now classified this as safe, and should be resolved with our next update, which is sent out every couple of hours,

Thanks again for your patience,

Steven

The Avast Support Team

gsimmons2005

Post by gsimmons2005 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:51 pm

So my media center PC just kicked the bucket and I dont feel like going through the hassle to setup up again as it was just getting worse...on to TIVO

Needless to say, I bought a year of schedules direct, so if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands, let me know - i will take 5$!. It is good through July 14th 2018

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:34 pm

gsimmons2005 wrote:So my media center PC just kicked the bucket and I dont feel like going through the hassle to setup up again as it was just getting worse...on to TIVO

Needless to say, I bought a year of schedules direct, so if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands, let me know - i will take 5$!. It is good through July 14th 2018
sounds like an expensive way to go - would not a media center pc be cheaper than a bunch of tvo?
I got WMC and 5 xbox extenders. Love it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:27 am

Any interest in this? I like the way flags look, but will probably want to change to a skittles look of the language codes (i.e. 'en', 'es', 'it', 'de', 'fr', ...)
2017-08-18.png
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:41 pm

garyan2 wrote:Any interest in this? I like the way flags look, but will probably want to change to a skittles look of the language codes (i.e. 'en', 'es', 'it', 'de', 'fr', ...)
2017-08-18.png
The only benefit for me is that the International channels which I do not watch are more easily identified for deletion from the schedule purposes. ;)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Alan G wrote:The only benefit for me is that the International channels which I do not watch are more easily identified for deletion from the schedule purposes. ;)
Which was the idea. I've noticed quite a number of folks will select all channels for download and then disable the ones they don't watch (foreign). This will make it easier for everyone to identify the foreign language channels and not select them for download in the first place.
- Gary

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:45 pm

garyan2 wrote:Any interest in this? I like the way flags look, but will probably want to change to a skittles look of the language codes (i.e. 'en', 'es', 'it', 'de', 'fr', ...)
2017-08-18.png

I like it. I have been consciously avoiding changing ANYTHING for fear of messing something up. But it is silly to download channels I will NEVER use and foreign language fits that description at least...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 am

The attachment 2017-08-18.png is no longer available
Compare and contrast. The below is using just the 2-character language codes; the colors are completely random each time you open the GUI. I'm still working on font and style, but this will probably make it to production in some form.
2017-09-13.PNG
- Gary

SLK in SF

Post by SLK in SF » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm

I just want to say thanks for this great tool. I never was able to get Rovi to work on my computer even after trying all kinds of recommended fixes/workarounds, so I eventually gave up and had been manually recording everything. Until this week.

EPG123 is working great for me and I only wish I had looked into it last year — but I'm happy now. :-)

McGary

Post by McGary » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Okay, the Rovi hassles are really getting to me -- guide has been out yet-again (supposedly it's finally rolling out updates, but I haven't got mine yet).

I just have a few questions before I switch WMC to EPG123 ...

(1) Has anyone EVER seen the same update issues with Schedules Direct that WMC has with Rovi? i.e. does switching completely eliminate guide update hassles?

(2) I know I'll lose my recording schedule ... but I assume that everything that's already recorded is "safe" -- i.e. will still be available. Is this correct?

(3) I presume this has no impact on extenders (Xbox 360's) -- is that correct?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:13 pm

McGary wrote:Okay, the Rovi hassles are really getting to me -- guide has been out yet-again (supposedly it's finally rolling out updates, but I haven't got mine yet).

I just have a few questions before I switch WMC to EPG123 ...

(1) Has anyone EVER seen the same update issues with Schedules Direct that WMC has with Rovi? i.e. does switching completely eliminate guide update hassles?
I wouldn't as far to say the service is flawless, but they are definitely responsive, available, and prompt in resolving issues. Big thing for me is the data is complete and accurate.
McGary wrote:(2) I know I'll lose my recording schedule ... but I assume that everything that's already recorded is "safe" -- i.e. will still be available. Is this correct?
Correct. And your recording schedule isn't completely lost. There is a utility provided that can transfer the Rovi series to a EPG123 series.
McGary wrote:(3) I presume this has no impact on extenders (Xbox 360's) -- is that correct?
You may have to add the extenders again, but yes, extenders will be just fine.
- Gary

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 pm

McGary wrote:(2) I know I'll lose my recording schedule ... but I assume that everything that's already recorded is "safe" -- i.e. will still be available. Is this correct?
Correct.

McGary wrote:(3) I presume this has no impact on extenders (Xbox 360's) -- is that correct?
Correct.

The "clean start" wipes out the Rovi information, but otherwise the setup is still all there. For example, when I went back in per the instructions to do a new TV signal setup, it remembered my ZIP code from previous setups. It also still had my D: drive as my recording storage drive.

Here's my experience from earlier today:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11292

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:25 am

Just me adding some more features. This is a preview of what is going in the client tool to tweak WMC.

I got the code setup to be able to dynamically adjust the font sizes to fit in any number of rows. Right now I am using a slider bar to range from 7 to 20 rows, though I have gone up to more rows without problems.

Increase from 7 to 20+ rows
Time can increase from 30 minutes to 4+ hours in 30 minute increments
Channel logos now centered and remain so when focused on
Can select whether to show program details in main guide and mini guide
More area below guide available for program details (wider)
Can automatically adjust channel column width based on number of rows
20rowsDetails.png
20 rows and 4 hours with Program Details at bottom
20RowsNoDetail.png
20 rows and 4 hours without Program Details at bottom
- Gary

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:42 am

Very cool! I have messed with the number of rows previously, but less was never an option. Do you think you could make 6 or even 5 a choice? Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe my TVs are too small, but I'd be interested in seeing what fewer lines looked like! Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:20 am

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Very cool! I have messed with the number of rows previously, but less was never an option. Do you think you could make 6 or even 5 a choice? Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe my TVs are too small, but I'd be interested in seeing what fewer lines looked like! Thanks.
I was actually looking at that for the visual impaired. Since I can certainly go down to 30 minute grid and make the rows bigger... I can certainly make the text much larger. I just haven't figure out an algorithm for that yet. My first stab was anything below the default 7 would be for visual impaired and the rows would then be quite large.

I'll work on it.

EDIT: Here's what it could look like with 6 rows (still need some adjustments but it will give you a visual on the scale).
Attachments
6rowsAttempt.png
6 rows large
- Gary

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 am

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Maybe I'm getting old
Damm, I just went through all that crap....First I need bigger monitors, then I need bigger TV's, next was brighter lightbulbs/better headlights. The final symptom was blurred vision so I went to the optometrist. Should have went there first. I would have saved the price of all the stuff I bought. The doctor informs me that the average north american male looses 50% of his eyesight between the ages of ?? and ??. New glasses solved the problem for me.

Anyone want to buy a 101" TV, or maybe some 300 watt lightbulbs?