NO signal

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mafaldatv

HTPC Specs: Show details

NO signal

Post by mafaldatv » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:33 am

First off, I have no specific reason to think EPG123 is the problem other than it is the only change. So I'm hoping maybe somebody has some ideas, searching the 'net so far hasn't given me any idea.

I installed EPG123 about two weeks ago. Last week I lost a recording because WMC said there was no signal. I've been trying live TV every few days since then. Recordings have been working but tonight live TV failed. WMC says no signal. Signal Strength is good. Ceton Diagnostics on my 6 tuner PCIe infinitiv tuner don't show any problems. Actually everything seems to say everything is working... except WMC. Rebooting fixes the problem (as it did last week). Anybody have any ideas?

Just as I thought I'd gotten past the ROVI stuff by moving to EPG123 this starts. Coincidence. Any help appreciated.

BTW the pc is dedicated to WMC and essentially does nothing else. It has worked quite well for several years (other than ROVI...)

Thanks.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 am

There have been reports that doing the EPG123 mxf import during either a recording or while live TV is using a tuner that the tuners can be left in a state where they are inaccessible until reboot.
(happened to me once) Is it possible you had an EPG123 update happen while a tuner was in use? (EPG123 by default won't load during a recording but doesn't detect if live TV is running).
This happened to me once so I make sure that my guide update runs when no tuners are in use. In my case it was my cable tuners in use (SD Primes) that became unusable till I rebooted.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:03 am

EPG123 runs about about 3am. No recordings at that time and definitely no live tv....

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 am

Every now and then I experience the same issue with my Hauppage 2650. It was a real issue a couple of years ago until they updated the firmware. Now it happens every couple of months and since it is sporadic it's very difficult to troubleshoot. I use my HTPC to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime programming and often leave WMC open and sometimes I will even record a program while Netflix/Amazon are running without any problems. As noted in Stuartm's post, the only solution is to reboot the computer. I'll usually get a window popping up asking whether I want to configure the tuner but this is unnecessary and probably a glitch in the software or firmware as I ignore it without any issues.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm

The symptoms you describe seem similar to a problem that was bugging me for months.

I'm pretty sure my problem was down to the CCC software that came with my AMD Radeon graphics card because, once I uninstalled it, it stopped happening.

I still have no idea why it was intermittently stopping the tuner card from working but it has only done it a few times since - usually when I'm doing something disk intensive.

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=10563

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:44 pm

The last few months I've been plagued with either crappy recordings or no signal notifications. My Comcast signal levels were around -1 dBmV to -3.5dBmV levels. The 2 ETH's I'm using did not function well, if at all, when the signal levels dropped below -3 dBmV. The Comcast tech came to my house and told me their range of signals were -12 dBmV to +12 dBmV. He graciously installed an amp even so. My signals are now +4 dBmv to + 6 dBmV and I've not had a problem since. I do have the HTPC shut down at 2:30 AM and the ETH's power cycle at 3:30 AM every day.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:54 pm

My levels are pretty much -4.5. I have an amp (a nice tech put it in a few years back). Though it could be coincidence, the problem started only after EPG123. I have a CETON Infinitv 6.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 am

mafaldatv wrote:My levels are pretty much -4.5. I have an amp (a nice tech put it in a few years back). Though it could be coincidence, the problem started only after EPG123. I have a CETON Infinitv 6.
CableCards are cheap, and they dont last forever.

maybe it's time for a new one.