Are Big Logos Working?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
marvin-miller

HTPC Specs: Show details

Are Big Logos Working?

Post by marvin-miller » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Trying to get larger logos in my guide. I have My Channel Logos and it's set to using large logos. The EPG CFG however shows false for that line. So I changed it to True and fired up EPG123 and found out I had to re-enter everything all over again as it cleared out all my settings.

So I set everything up again and then re-ran EPG and then looked at the CFG and it reverted back to False even though MCL has it set to large and I manually set the CFG to large.

Are big channel logos not working yet or is this unique to me?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 pm

marvin-miller wrote:Trying to get larger logos in my guide. I have My Channel Logos and it's set to using large logos. The EPG CFG however shows false for that line. So I changed it to True and fired up EPG123 and found out I had to re-enter everything all over again as it cleared out all my settings.

So I set everything up again and then re-ran EPG and then looked at the CFG and it reverted back to False even though MCL has it set to large and I manually set the CFG to large.

Are big channel logos not working yet or is this unique to me?
Big logos work, but you need big logos is the .\logos folder. The logo names will be appended by _b (CNNHD_b.png). If you don't have the big logos in the folder, you will need to run an update with the "Include station logos from .\logos directory" and "download and include logos from SD" selected. When the update is run, you either need to have selected Big logos in MCL XL, OR the element "BigLogosMCLXL" in the config file has to be true. The config setting is an override so a user can create the big logos and embed them in the MXF file without installing MCL XL.

Changing the config value in itself won't cause a problem, but using the wrong case may (True versus true). I'll have to take a look.

So the way it works when epg123 is doing logos is ...

1) looks for the MCL XL settings file to see if "Big" logos is enabled.
2) if "Big" logos is not enabled, and the configuration value is "false", then it will use the standard logo files.
3) if "Big" logos is enabled, or the configuration value is "true", then it will use the _b files if available.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 pm

I think it may be broken or not working as intended.

I looked at the .cfg file for MCL and for some reason, it was not enabled. I then manually enabled it, saved the file and ran EPG123. It did not change the cfg file for EPG123 to enabled as expected. I have both a logos directory and a sdlogos directory and both are populated with files.

Prior to this most recent attempt I manually set EPG's cfg file to true for big logos and then did an update. As soon as the update was started it went back in and reset the field to false. So I'm not sure what's up but it doesn't seem to be working according to plan?

NOTE: Revised the above to be more accurate

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 pm

I think we all might be confused here...

For the MCL XL program configuration file: C:\ProgramData\MyChannelLogos\settings.xml
The element "UseBigLogos" should read "True"

For the EPG123 program configuration file: epg123.cfg
The element "BigLogosMCLXL" can be "true" or "false".
true = use the _b.png logos regardless of MCL XL "UseBigLogos" setting
false = use the MCL XL "UseBigLogos" setting

The setting in the epg123.cfg does NOT reflect the setting in the MCL XL settings.xml file. It is only there to override the MCL XL setting to use big logos.
marvin-miller wrote:As soon as the update was started it went back in and reset the field to false.
I'm not sure what you were trying to do here, so can't comment. I'll just say to leave the setting alone since you have MCL XL installed and Big logos enabled.

Need you to check off a few things...
1. MCL XL Big Logos are enabled (I'd disable it and re-enable it in the MCL GUI to reapply the modifications)
2. Verify the folder .\logos contains files with "_b' after the callsign (i.e. CNNHD_b.png)
3. Verify "Include station logos from .\logos directory" is enabled in the configuration GUI.
4. Open the epg123.mxf file in notepad (may take some time to open depending on size) and Ctrl-F to search for "imageUrl" without the quotes. The file name and location is the logo used in the guide and should have the "_b" suffix.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Need you to check off a few things...
1. MCL XL Big Logos are enabled (I'd disable it and re-enable it in the MCL GUI to reapply the modifications)
Yes, they are enabled in the GUI.
2. Verify the folder .\logos contains files with "_b' after the callsign (i.e. CNNHD_b.png)
Yes, contains images including a lot with _b in the filename
3. Verify "Include station logos from .\logos directory" is enabled in the configuration GUI.
Yes, they are checked.
4. Open the epg123.mxf file in notepad (may take some time to open depending on size) and Ctrl-F to search for "imageUrl" without the quotes. The file name and location is the logo used in the guide and should have the "_b" suffix.
Yes, they do.

I'm guessing that means it should be working, yet the logos are pretty small. Perhaps that's just the way it is? (It's on a 40" TV). I think where some of the confusion came in is that when I set the <BigLogosMCLXL>false</BigLogosMCLXL> field in epg123.cfg to true it keeps re-setting it to false when EPG is run.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:09 am

I just tried to duplicate the BigLogosMCLXL setting behavior you saw and couldn't. It keeps the value even after a save in the GUI.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 am

Bizaare. I go into the cfg and manually edit it/save it and then open up the GUI and it's removed my login credentials. I put it all back the way it was (the GUI) and as soon as I hit save and execute it re-writes the cfg file and sets the value back to false.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 am

Simple enough ...in this case, you are filling the field in the "True" ... it should be "true". In this case, a capital letter T is a string whereas a small t is a boolean. The problem is the configuration file is "invalid" because it is trying to stuff a string into a boolean field.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:24 am

Just re-tried it with a lower case t and as soon as I execute an update it re-writes the file with false. I don't really understand it myself but that's what it's doing. Bear in mind, I have to re-enter all the info in the GUI as soon as I manually change the cfg file.

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 am

BTW, there is good news though. I just checked the guide and the logos are much bigger so I'm really not sure what the scoop was other then the GUI always reverting the setting in the cfg file. Either way, it's working and it's way, way better with the big logos so thank you!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 am

There's something about your save that is corrupting the file. Are you sure you are opening it in notepad.exe?
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:30 am

That's really odd. I used TextPad on it, so I tried notepad and it worked. So TextPad was doing something to it. Odd as I've used it for everything from HTML to ASP to PHP etc. Good catch and the big icons are nice!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:42 am

marvin-miller wrote:Good catch and the big icons are nice!
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the logos. Gracenote provides them through Schedules Direct, I just crop and resize them. You will find some of them are still hard to read since they were not created with WMC in mind.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 am

Either way, your efforts are appreciated and Media Center is a hell of a lot better for them! :thumbup: :clap: