Move EPG123 install to a different drive?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
gsr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Move EPG123 install to a different drive?

Post by gsr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 pm

After I went through the entire installation and configuration process, it occurred to me that having EPG123 do the guide updates on my C: drive, which is an SSD, every day might not be ideal. As long as I update the scheduled task and shortcuts for running the EPG123 GUI to point to the new drive, can I just move it to another drive or are there things like registry keys that would be pointing to the wrong location if I do that?

I'd rather not start all over again if I can avoid it. :)

Oh and 1 more thing: THANKS for creating this, as it should allow us all to continue to use WMC for a long time.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Recommend you uninstall EPG123, move the folder to your new drive, and install EPG123 to the new location. You will have to delete your task and create a new one, but everything else will be just fine. Logos, if you use epg123 logos, might disappear until your next update.

By uninstalling/reinstalling, updates to epg123 will be installed in the correct place.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

gsr

Post by gsr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 pm

garyan2 wrote:Recommend you uninstall EPG123, move the folder to your new drive, and install EPG123 to the new location. You will have to delete your task and create a new one, but everything else will be just fine. Logos, if you use epg123 logos, might disappear until your next update.

By uninstalling/reinstalling, updates to epg123 will be installed in the correct place.
Thanks for the response, I'll follow this procedure for moving it.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 pm

If you are worried about wear and tear on your SSD, I wouldn't be. It typically takes 200-300 TB of writes before you get any errors. Then the SSD will automatically "heal" any bad cells by enabling spare cells which are held in reserve. SSDs seldom fail until you hit 1 PB+ of writes.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

gsr

Post by gsr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 am

IT Troll wrote:If you are worried about wear and tear on your SSD, I wouldn't be. It typically takes 200-300 TB of writes before you get any errors. Then the SSD will automatically "heal" any bad cells by enabling spare cells which are held in reserve. SSDs seldom fail until you hit 1 PB+ of writes.
It's a mix of worrying about wear and tear and generally wanting to keep relatively high volume disc access of this sort off of the OS drive.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:32 am

You can adjust the schedule so that the update runs at a time when any disk load it is not going to impact other processes (not that I think it would with an SSD).

Something like Recorded TV is disk intensive and so is a good case for not using the OS drive. But I wouldn't worry about EPG123.

But hey, it is your system and so you can configure it how you like.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1