2 4 tuner Cetons - tuner conflict - no tuners available

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mmatheny

HTPC Specs: Show details

2 4 tuner Cetons - tuner conflict - no tuners available

Post by mmatheny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:54 pm

OK, sorry if this is answered someplace else (the bug report thread is a mess!) but I have NEVER had this happen in many years I have had this same setup, and seems to have started since I installed EPG123 last weekend. Twice this week it all of a sudden won't tune any channels - tuner conflict, no tuners available. Drivers say all is fine - Ceton diags show NO tuners. Nothing will get them back except uninstalling the tuner drivers, reinstalling them, going through full tuner setup in WMC then waiting for EPG123 to populate the guide. Now this happened last night right before I went to bed - just popped up. HELP!!!
Mike

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 pm

There have been reports that if a tuner is active when a schedule update occurs (mxf import and database reindex), then that tuner will be 'unavailable'. Your situation sounds a bit different. I don't recall who was reporting the other issue, but maybe they can chime it and help out. I don't believe their fix action was so drastic, but still a PIA.

I'll search the threads when I can.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:17 pm

This happened at 8:30pm - my schedule update is set for 3:00am
Mike

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I doubt tuner failures/errors have anything to do with the guide. I would start by removing one of the two tuner cards from your system and see if the issue persists. If it does, swap out the other tuner card, and test again.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Would any of this happen by deleting the ehome directory? Should he remove all Ceton drivers reboot and reinstall them then setup WMC again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm

newfiend wrote:Would any of this happen by deleting the ehome directory? Should he remove all Ceton drivers reboot and reinstall them then setup WMC again?

Definitely a possibility. Some of the tuner drivers embed something into the ehome database and when we wipe that out the information goes with it. Not sure how it would cause the tuners to disappear though. But yeah, my next suggestion would be to reinstall the drivers.
- Gary

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Some of us have more than 4 tuners (in my case an infinitv6 and Mike has two infinitv 4's) I started by deleting ehome, then in the ceton diagnostic utility I cleared the network configuration, then cleared the tuner configuration and then rediscovered the tuners prior to step #2 in the EPG123 setup so WMC could find all our tuners (since it usually only supports 4 iirc) the ceton drivers allow for more tuners. My install to EPG123 went smooth and everything is working. But I'm on Windows 8.1 and Mike is on Windows 7. I Instructed Mike to do what I did and clear the network configuration, clear tuner configuration and rediscover the tuners prior to step #2 of the EPG123 setup. Would doing any of that have messed things up?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Should be fine. The only thing I would have added was to open WMC and close it after step 1 and before using the ceton tools. This makes sure the database exists ... probably doesn't matter though.
- Gary

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanx guys for the tips, but the if you read my post I already went through the delete, reinstall, clear tuner config, rediscover tuners, re-setup signal, re-download guide thing the first time this happened. I'm going to go through it all again tonight so I can watch TV but if this happens again it HAS to be something that happened in the epg123 install. I have NEVER in many years of same setup had this issue, only after installing EPG123.
Mike

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 pm

I don't have Ceton tuners, I use SD Primes, but I have had the tuners go unavailable If the EPG123 update ran while I was watching something. I had to reboot the system to get the tuners back. So for me I make sure my update runs when no tuners are in use at all. I think it might also have happened if the periodic database maintainance was going on during a guide update but I am not positive that is what happened that time.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm

:oops: Sorry, we digressed a little and kinda hijacked the thread. :oops:

There is no way this could be caused directly by EPG123, but the installation procedure may have contributed. Can you tell if the tuner drop-outs are individual, or are you dropping each card (4 tuners) at a time?
- Gary

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 pm

From our texts between Mike and I, I believe he's loosing all 8 tuners.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:34 am

All 8 are gone at once
Mike

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 am

Do you have a system snapshot from before switching to EPG123?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:00 am

mmatheny wrote:All 8 are gone at once
Wow, that's crazy. If epg123 isn't performing an update then it is not running let alone in memory or screwing around with the guide. I would say possibly overheating, but all 8 at the same time and you say this just started with the move over to epg123 ... maybe you are enjoying your media center anew and are overworking them! :lolno:

I can't even think of anything that could cause this behavior other than a hardware problem.
- Gary

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:22 am

garyan2 wrote:
mmatheny wrote:All 8 are gone at once
Wow, that's crazy. If epg123 isn't performing an update then it is not running let alone in memory or screwing around with the guide. I would say possibly overheating, but all 8 at the same time and you say this just started with the move over to epg123 ... maybe you are enjoying your media center anew and are overworking them! :lolno:

I can't even think of anything that could cause this behavior other than a hardware problem.
I'm sure I have a restore point. I run a task that creates one every 3 days
Mike

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 pm

OK get ready for a story. So last weekend when I installed epg123 I also decided to set up the new Harmony 650 I got to replace my ageing 700. Well, unlike the old software where you could delete steps in the startup and shutdown process new software won't let you do that so every device I set up for an activity they put a power off command in that can't be deleted. So when I'd exit WMC it would send a power off command to the HTPC which was putting my PC into standby mode which for some reason was causing this issue. This is still a total mystery to me but it's working now so I'm not gonna hurt my brain trying to figure it out! OK, now I know that I can't do anything in the Harmony software so I started looking at Win7 & WMC. That's when I discovered MCE Remote Mapper - what a life saver. I was able to run that and found 3 places I needed to set to NONE - the PWR button and the Harmony PWR ON and Harmony PWR OFF mappings!! Sorry for all of this Gary but man what an odd ordeal!
Mike

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:28 pm

:crazy: :wtf: :crazy: Wow ... the least expected. I have no idea why putting your HTPC into standby would cause the tuners to drop, but like you I'm not even going to try and figure it out. That's just crazy.

Thanks for letting us know ... I'll tuck that information away and hope it's never needed again. :thumbup:
- Gary

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 pm

BTW Great product!!
Mike