New vs. Repeat

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Burger23

HTPC Specs: Show details

New vs. Repeat

Post by Burger23 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:24 pm

I installed EPG123 yesterday- install went perfectly. LOVE IT.
One issue came up- and it may have nothing to do with EPG123. But I'll ask anyway! I am getting repeats listed as NEW. A repeat of BULL is being shown tonight. It is listed as Scheduled to Record. Yet the original air date is listed as February- and the Series Settings clearly says just NEW. I have tried deleting the series record- then establishing it again- and selected just NEW.
This happened with a couple other shows that are in re-runs now.
Any ideas?

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Did you use that episode to create the Series?

I believe that WMC will always record the episode that you used to create the Series, even if it is a repeat and you specified "New" in the settings.

This should only affect the episode that you were on when creating the Series, any other repeats should not be scheduled to record.

Just select "do not record" for that episode and it should be fine.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:04 am

If your original recordings were made using Rovi guide data then I think WMC doesn't realize you already recorded them because the ID's are different and thinks it needs to record them after you switch to EPG123.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 am

stuartm wrote:If your original recordings were made using Rovi guide data then I think WMC doesn't realize you already recorded them because the ID's are different and thinks it needs to record them after you switch to EPG123.
That is irrelevant if the Series is set to "New" and the episode is a repeat (a repeat in WMC is an episode that has an OAD that is more than 7 days from the airing date).

If the Series was set to "New & Rerun" then yes, you are correct, any history of recorded shows will either be wiped out (if you did a full, step 1 install of EPG123) or will not match the episode IDs that are in the episode recording history (the same episode will have two different IDs, one used for Rovi data and one for the Gracenote data, so it will not think any episode was already recorded).

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:02 am

Oh, boy. This is going to be a bit of a pain. I suppose that deleted all repeats manually isn't that a big deal in the summer when all shows are repeats. But come the fall it will get complicated.

Is anyone else having this experience with repeats being marked as new? I would think it would affect everyone as they reschedule series shows.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:13 am

I think we're not understanding exactly what you are looking at. Unless your scheduled recording are set to New & Repeat, it is not possible for those shows labeled repeat (OADs from >7 days ago) to be scheduled for recording.
2017-07-11.png
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:44 am

garyan2 wrote:I think we're not understanding exactly what you are looking at. Unless your scheduled recording are set to New & Repeat, it is not possible for those shows labeled repeat (OADs from >7 days ago) to be scheduled for recording.
2017-07-11.png
Not quite correct, if you select an episode that is a repeat and then select "record series", it will schedule that episode to record, even if you have the default setting set to "New".

I normally set Series when the first episode of that series is about to air, so I select the premiere episode and "record series". But since many people that switch to EPG123 will be setting up Series for shows that don't have any first-run (NEW) episodes in the guide, they have to select a repeat episode and make the Series from there. Doing this results in that episode being scheduled to record, even if the setting is "New" and not "New & Rerun".

So the procedure has to be... select episode, select "record series" and then select "do not record" (assuming the default is set to "New") in order for it to not record the repeat episode of which you are currently viewing the details.

Another way to do it is to use the search function to find the series you want to record, and then select "record series" from there. In this case you are not setting up the Series from a specific episode so it will not record any episode that is not "new".

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 am

Space wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I think we're not understanding exactly what you are looking at. Unless your scheduled recording are set to New & Repeat, it is not possible for those shows labeled repeat (OADs from >7 days ago) to be scheduled for recording.
2017-07-11.png
Not quite correct, if you select an episode that is a repeat and then select "record series", it will schedule that episode to record, even if you have the default setting set to "New".

I normally set Series when the first episode of that series is about to air, so I select the premiere episode and "record series". But since many people that switch to EPG123 will be setting up Series for shows that don't have any first-run (NEW) episodes in the guide, they have to select a repeat episode and make the Series from there. Doing this results in that episode being scheduled to record, even if the setting is "New" and not "New & Rerun".

So the procedure has to be... select episode, select "record series" and then select "do not record" (assuming the default is set to "New") in order for it to not record the repeat episode of which you are currently viewing the details.

Another way to do it is to use the search function to find the series you want to record, and then select "record series" from there. In this case you are not setting up the Series from a specific episode so it will not record any episode that is not "new".
Totally understand how you can get a Repeat show recording for a New only schedule with the above scenario, but it sounds to me like Burger23 is seeing much more than that single episode. I suppose what he/she is seeing could be generic placeholders being added, but just don't know with the information we have.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 pm

First, thanks to all who have replied.
Second, my apologies for not being clear on my issue.
This being said, I now have more clarity on what is going on. When a show is first selected to RECORD SERIES, the settings default o New and Rerun. Note that 2 shows are listed

Then I go to Settings and change to NEW only. At this point only one show is listed.

Even though it shows as being set to record, it apparently does NOT record (the BULL episode mentioned in my original post did not record last night).

This behavior seems odd, but if it repeats itself with THIS IS US tonight, then the issue has been solved.

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Space's solution above solved issue for me:

select episode, select "record series" and then select "do not record" (assuming the default is set to "New") in order for it to not record the repeat episode of which you are currently viewing the details.