Can I edit channels in Media Center?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
bradly1101

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I edit channels in Media Center?

Post by bradly1101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:07 am

So far everything is working fine for me. I'd like to edit channels in Media Center so I can preview. Is that possible, or will it just get overwritten on the next import?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 am

bradly1101 wrote:So far everything is working fine for me. I'd like to edit channels in Media Center so I can preview. Is that possible, or will it just get overwritten on the next import?
Any custom numbers and names you add to the channels will stick. Import of EPG123 data does not override it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

bradly1101

Post by bradly1101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks! But what if I remove a channel from the lineup in MC, will the import bring it back? I guess I can just test it...but I don't want to mess something up.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:30 am

If you mean to just disable the channel, EPG123 respects that and does not re-enable it.

If you mean to edit the channel to "Show no listings for this channel", EPG123 will leave it alone as long as you don't have "Automatically match" or "Automatch" selected for the scheduled update. If you do, then EPG123 will match the listings again and re-enable the channel in the guide.
- Gary

bradly1101

Post by bradly1101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks again! This program has given me confidence in MC again. I looked at the other options, Silicon Dust especially (having two HDHR Primes), but being in development for so long their SW can't even wake the PC/server for a scheduled recording. I know MC has features that MS doesn't want to licence anymore, and I've heard that even the grid style guide is now copyrighted by Rovi. What a mess! It feels like MS just doesn't want us to depend on it anymore. The price of Tivo and its lack of being able to manipulate the recordings (editing out commercials to permanently save a particular show or segment as an MPEG file, plus screen grabs) makes it unattractive.

But this is a wonderful, elegant solution. Many, many thanks again for its creation! I shall be making a donation...you're the best!

(c) Sony Pictures Entertainment

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm

As a follow up, I want to remap the HD channels to the "local channel" numbers (e.g., the local Fox station is "Fox 6" but the HD channel is mapped at 726. I want to have the HD channel at channel 6 and not even show the SD channel). I have already gotten rid of the SD channel on the guide but haven't yet remapped.

If I remap the HD channel to channel 6, will EPG123 see that I remapped it and continue to update the guide?

I'm a little confused about the "Automatically Match Stations to Channels" box. I understand that if this is checked that it will match channel 2 in my tuner to what the guide says channel 2 should be (correct?). What will it do if this is not checked? Does it just match based on call sign? Do I have to uncheck this item if I remap channels? If I leave it checked, will it overwrite my remapping of the channel?

I was very reluctant to switch to EPG123, but with this latest guide outage, but I figured that doing a little work now reprogramming my recordings will pay off in the future! Setup couldn't have been easier! Thanks Gary!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:57 pm

tardyturtle wrote:As a follow up, I want to remap the HD channels to the "local channel" numbers (e.g., the local Fox station is "Fox 6" but the HD channel is mapped at 726. I want to have the HD channel at channel 6 and not even show the SD channel). I have already gotten rid of the SD channel on the guide but haven't yet remapped.

If I remap the HD channel to channel 6, will EPG123 see that I remapped it and continue to update the guide?

I'm a little confused about the "Automatically Match Stations to Channels" box. I understand that if this is checked that it will match channel 2 in my tuner to what the guide says channel 2 should be (correct?). What will it do if this is not checked? Does it just match based on call sign? Do I have to uncheck this item if I remap channels? If I leave it checked, will it overwrite my remapping of the channel?

I was very reluctant to switch to EPG123, but with this latest guide outage, but I figured that doing a little work now reprogramming my recordings will pay off in the future! Setup couldn't have been easier! Thanks Gary!
Let's define this a little differently ... you are not actually remapping channel 726 to channel 6, you are editing the channel to give a custom channel number. This distinction is important because the tuner channel does not change, only the channel number in the guide does.

So now you have the original channel number of 726, and the custom channel number of 6. Automatch pays no attention to the custom channel number so when it performs its function, it only see the channel number 726 and matches accordingly. Giving a custom channel number makes no difference in the function of EPG123.

If automatch is unchecked, then everything will still be fine. What you lose is if your provider moves channel 4 to channel 404 ... with automatch the guide will be updated when the lineup changes. Without automatch, channel 4 will disappear and channel 404 will not be populated. There are pros and cons to using automatch.

I recommend automatch for the initial setup, after that it is a user choice.
- Gary

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 am

That makes perfect sense--thanks again Gary!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:13 am

garyan2 wrote:
bradly1101 wrote:So far everything is working fine for me. I'd like to edit channels in Media Center so I can preview. Is that possible, or will it just get overwritten on the next import?
Any custom numbers and names you add to the channels will stick. Import of EPG123 data does not override it.
Thanks for this, as I am thinking of moving over (BEYOND HAD IT WITH ROVI) and have some of the same kind of questions. It seems like my question is already answered but, I NEED to be 100% clear. I use the "Guide Tool" app to edit channels, as I want to do kind of like the OP here does. I want to "re-number" channel 1008 to 8.1 and 1003 to 3.1 (my local areas OTA HD numbers), this is 2 out of the 15 I do (real PIA to re-run TV setup)

So, the question comes down to once EPG123 is all setup, I can use the normal WMC methods to edit channels with WMC or 3rd party programs (guide tool), work fine as they always have ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 am

DavidinCT wrote:So, the question comes down to once EPG123 is all setup, I can use the normal WMC methods to edit channels with WMC or 3rd party programs (guide tool), work fine as they always have ?
Yup, everything works as they did with Rovi, except you know ...

Accurate guide data
Movie production year and star ratings
Extended information
Correct images
Character names
Series/Episode information
Support by developer and guide source

... you know, minor stuff like that. :lol:

EDIT: small note here, Guide Tool must be either version 1.2.5 or 1.4 and sometimes Guide Tool will not show the lineup, but your channels will be available to edit to your hearts content. I've never figured that out, but maybe the developer could shine some light on that.
- Gary