New EPG123 setup only finding 2 tuners

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
adcsstl

HTPC Specs: Show details

New EPG123 setup only finding 2 tuners

Post by adcsstl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:59 pm

I am trying to setup EPG123 so that my guide actually works. However, during step 2 when I decline the Programming Guide Terms of Service, WMC only recognizes 2 tuners. I have accept the Terms of Service, it recognizes that I have 3 tuners. I have an HD Homerun Prime. What do I need to do to make sure WMC can use all 3 tuners if I decline the terms of service?

Thanks

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Hmmm, I was thinking about setting this up, but this is making me very nervous. Anyone with an HDHomeRun Prime have an answer for this?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:19 pm

The prime evidently can sometimes be finicky following a Step 1. There are quite a few posts along the same lines in this forum but will have to go looking for them. The most simple solution has been to just reboot the computer and the prime after Step 1 and then everything is fine.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Here is the most relevant post concerning HDHR Primes. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... me#p112843

EDIT: read the full thread (it's not long). I would consider the first post to be the nuclear option and probably not necessary.
- Gary

adcsstl

Post by adcsstl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Rebooting the HD Prime after step 1 seemed to fix the problem. (However, I did have to go to safe mode to make step 1 work...)

Last question, I have a number of Series setup to record. Using an old program (Sean's WMC Backup), I am able to "automatically" load those series recordings back into WMC. However, none of the series actually get set to record. If I search using WMC search and set another series recording, it does properly setup the series. Is there a reason that I have to redo every series I have set to record? (This is kind of a pain since several of the programs are not currently in my 14 day guide so I will have to periodically remember to do a search and set another series recording.)

Thanks for the help.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:48 pm

adcsstl wrote:Rebooting the HD Prime after step 1 seemed to fix the problem. (However, I did have to go to safe mode to make step 1 work...)

Last question, I have a number of Series setup to record. Using an old program (Sean's WMC Backup), I am able to "automatically" load those series recordings back into WMC. However, none of the series actually get set to record. If I search using WMC search and set another series recording, it does properly setup the series. Is there a reason that I have to redo every series I have set to record? (This is kind of a pain since several of the programs are not currently in my 14 day guide so I will have to periodically remember to do a search and set another series recording.)

Thanks for the help.
Your backup of series recordings will not work from your Rovi days. The unique series IDs from Rovi and from Schedules Direct/Gracenote are not the same, so WMC considers them to be different series.

I keep saying I have a plan for this, but it will take quite a bit of work to develop a lookup table to convert Rovi IDs to SD IDs. I recognize that not having this capability can make the initial transition a bit difficult for some, but it is a one-time, pull-the-band-aid off event. Note that Sean's backup will work to restore a EPG123 backup to a EPG123 guide.
- Gary

adcsstl

Post by adcsstl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:21 pm

OK....I'll start the process of adding new series recordings. Just got to remember to check every week or so.

Does mcupdate still need to run anymore? Do I need to do anything concerning it or does it take care of itself?

You have stomped out another Rovi Disease with me....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:24 pm

You can leave the mcupdate alone. This performs other client maintenance activities still need to continue. Send you declined the guide ToS during Step 2, mcupdate won't be downloading any guide information, so no harm there.
adcsstl wrote:You have stomped out another Rovi Disease with me....
:thumbup:
- Gary

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:11 pm

My EPG123 setup with 2x HD Homerun Primes (6 tuners total) works well, so it is possible... I do re-run Tuner Salad each time I update though.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:I do re-run Tuner Salad each time I update though.
:?: You only need to re-run Tuner Salad if you do Step 1, or possibly a Database Rebuild. What do you do when you update?
- Gary

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:06 am

garyan2 wrote:The prime evidently can sometimes be finicky following a Step 1. There are quite a few posts along the same lines in this forum but will have to go looking for them. The most simple solution has been to just reboot the computer and the prime after Step 1 and then everything is fine.
Cool, thanks much, Gary! As I see we are in our quarterly (and it always seems to happen over a long holiday weekend, grrrr) schedule outage, I think it's time to pull the trigger and I'll get this installed after dinner tonight once I get a screengrab of my scheduled programs. (I have the Schedules Direct subscription anyhow since I play with NextPVR on another machine, might as well get some more use out of it!)

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 am

Everything worked a treat! I was especially impressed that by taking the time to edit the channels I receive in EPG123, it took care of that in WMC for me as well!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:33 am

clemon79 wrote:Everything worked a treat! I was especially impressed that by taking the time to edit the channels I receive in EPG123, it took care of that in WMC for me as well!
That's good! Now we'll give you some time to absorb all the things you've missed since the transition to Rovi, and appreciate all the added things that make it just a bit better than it was even with Zap2It.
- Gary

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:16 am

Heck, I have three weeks of schedule data. Can't tell you the last time I had that. Right there we're off to a great start. :D

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:53 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:I do re-run Tuner Salad each time I update though.
:?: You only need to re-run Tuner Salad if you do Step 1, or possibly a Database Rebuild. What do you do when you update?
OK, I now realize my "updates" didn't go as planned... I think I went from 1.0.2 to 1.1.6 during the upstream outage, which wiped everything out and I did start clean... Doing so, WMC initially reported 3 tuners instead of 6. Then when I did it again a few days later, I think it was 1.1.8, I did a clean start again, and once again WMC reported 3 tuners initially. Each time I just stopped right there, ran Tuner Salad, and started the process in media center again and found 6 tuners.