My Reinstallation

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Cavebat

HTPC Specs: Show details

My Reinstallation

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:08 am

After my reinstall of Win 7 Pro and upgrade of my hard drive to a Samsung SSD, I was unable to get the WMC guide data to download after 40 hours of troubleshooting. When submitting this problem to GB Forum over the last weekend, I was encouraged and persuaded to download and use EPG123.
After a little work, comparatively, I was finally able to download “an” EPG. I say “an” EPG because none of the channel numbers match my old (two days ago) guide line-up. i.e. Not the same channel numbers as before. In EPG123, when fetching my lineup search, via postal code, I am presented with 7 choices for Time Warner Cable. I could narrow those choices down to probably 2, because only these 2, have –Digital after Time Warner Cable, or "Time Warner Cable-Digital". The other 5 are presented as "Time Warner Cable-Cable". Perhaps that is an incorrect assumption, and, I only tried and applied one of these two “-Digital” choices (again, another guess, and maybe the other "–Digital" choice, is the correct one for my subscription/area), or, even maybe one of the other 5 “-Cable” lineups? Who knows?
However, I think I might have bigger problems than which lineup to pick and use.
(1.) Going to WMC-Settings-TV-TV Signal-Update PlayReady, I receive the message, “The PlayReady update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the update is successful.” I re-tried 7-8 times with the same results. I also tried to tune one of the channels from my newly, but incorrect guide listing provided through EPG123, and I get the same message “The PlayReady update was incomplete…….”
(2.) Going to the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, I find that I’m running Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (00-80-0a-95), Driver Package/Diagnostic Version: 13.6.3.1088, PCIe Driver Version: 1.0.2.4, Tuning Adapter Driver Version: 13.02.20.1332, Firmware Version: 1.1.7.2, and Hardware Version 6829. Under the Devices tab I have all green check marks. Under the CableCard tab I also have all green check marks. But under the Update tab there is a Firmware Update 1.1.8.2(stable) and a 1.2.2.6(beta). When trying to update 1.1.8.2(stable), I receive the error; Failed to update Ceton InfiniTV PCIe (00-80-0a-95). I did not try the beta, but did re-try the stable a half a dozen more times, same result.
For the record, I did search the www and GB for solutions to the PlayReady issue, none of the 4-5 common supposed fixes worked.
My thoughts right now are to give up and start over. Re-install my Windows 7 Pro operating system, just installing SP1 instead of all 257 updates provided, and beginning a new installation of my Ceton PCIe, and all of its required software and drivers.
Does anyone else have any suggestion on what I should do?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:45 am

2 things right off:

First:
For updates, I download the Simplix pack which can be found here on My Digital Life. If you don't have an account and don't want to set one up, you can go to the source here. It is in russian so you are looking for a download with the name UpdatePack7R2....exe.

Second:
I see where the confusion is with Columbus headends. I'll get something setup to actually see which is which, but in the meantime you can go to the Schedules Direct website, login, and click Add a new lineup. Though this is only for the XML server, and not EPG123 (JSON) server, you will be able to preview the lineups to determine which is yours. Once we know that, we will know which to select in EPG123.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for helping, I really mean it! I'll trust you on the russian download. I've downloaded 7R2, will install shortly. I can find my lineup on the XML server, but it is not clear or specific still, on which one to pick in the JSON. I can keep trying until I hit on the correct one, but as you probably know, I only get 4 guesses until it locks me out for 24 hours.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:46 am

Cavebat wrote:Thanks for helping, I really mean it! I'll trust you on the russian download. I've downloaded 7R2, will install shortly. I can find my lineup on the XML server, but it is not clear or specific still, on which one to pick in the JSON. I can keep trying until I hit on the correct one, but as you probably know, I only get 4 guesses until it locks me out for 24 hours.
Right, send me the zipcode you are using and I will take a snapshot of the results to include the USA-OH34511-???? lineup designations so you know which to pick.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:53 am

Actually, don't worry about sending the zip ... using zipcode 43215 gives you these results. You can see the lineup designations to the right and select the one that is yours.
columbus.JPG
columbus.JPG (46.54 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:04 am

Thanks for being so quick. Should I re install EPG123 to see these new revised lineup names? Or, should I say, download the latest?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 am

Cavebat wrote:Thanks for being so quick. Should I re install EPG123 to see these new revised lineup names? Or, should I say, download the latest?
You can download and install the latest if you want, but it's not going to show you the above. You can use the above as a reference to select the proper lineup (USE ZIP CODE 43215 to make sure the results are the same). If your lineup is not shown, then I'll need to know your zip to take another snapshot.
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:35 am

I sent you a private message with my zip. I think I understand, as reference, I'll go try that now.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:41 am

Okay, the response for your zip is the same as shown above for 43215 so you can use it as a reference.
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:38 am

OK, great, it looks like the guide issue is resolved. I can click on Guide in WMC and see my lineup. Still can't tune a channel yet due to the PlayReady issue, but I haven't installed the UpdatePack7R2....exe yet. I'll get to that shortly.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 am

I don't believe PlayReady will be included in that pack. You say none of the other methods you've found here to install playready worked?

So you can't download the TV Setup information and you can't install PlayReady. Is WMC being blocked somehow?
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:25 am

Let me review again here on the GB PlayReady install issues and resolutions. Previously nothing seemed to work but I'll try again. Not that I thought the update pack would have PlayReady, but maybe it would fix something, allowing WMC to update it. I can go through the TV setup, but when getting to the Update PlayReady prompt, it says "The PlayReady update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the update is successful." The same thing happens when I go by TV-TV Signal-Update PlayReady. WMC is recognizing my CableCard and my 4 tuners through the setup process, and I can see them in the Digital Tuner Diagnostics. As far as WMC being blocked??? I'm not sure how or what, but I have no firewall software/hardware, other than default Windows Firewall. I just checked Windows Firewall Settings and they are all set for allowing communication through, for all things Ceton, Media, and TV Tuner.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm

I've had the PlayReady issue you described. I found this link - http://www.hydrous.net/weblog/2012/08/2 ... -playready - which allowed me to fix PlayReady. You could try this.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Alright, so the next step I did was to install that Simplix pack that was presented as the “First Off” thing to do. I’m not sure why, or what it is supposed to do or fix, but since it was the first thing suggested, I did. I tried to tune a channel, then the same message "The PlayReady update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the update is successful."
Next I tried doing one of the easiest solutions I could find on the GB concerning the updating of PlayReady issues and fixes. Run the Microsoft Easy Fix 50765.msi. Some people reported that it worked for them. It did not for me. I was still unable to complete the PlayReady installation, as before.
Note: as it has been from the beginning, I have, and can see, PlayReady in my Programs and Features as installed, PlayReady PC Runtime amd64. And, I have tried to manually uninstall and re-install it, then uninstall, and try and let WMC to install it. I can observe that it does complete step one and two of the installation, but fails on the next step of …installing components, then the same message "The PlayReady update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the update is successful." I also performed a restart after every install, uninstall, fix, and update.
I was getting ready to start what appeared to be the longest, most involved fix for this issue, then, I just happen to go to and run the Intel Driver Update Utility. It found one, and I downloaded and installed. Just two days ago, I ran it and it said I was current, nothing to see here. But then just a couple of minutes ago, I ran it again and it found another one, so I downloaded and installed it, this time I took note that it was Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 15.22.58.64.2993. Additionally, I noticed that, probably the first time I tried to do this, the Intel Update Utility allowed me to restart my computer, before it was finished with the driver install. This time I waited an extra 15 seconds for the installation complete notification, then restarted.
As I will soon find out, I should have went and tried to tune a channel after this restart, but instead, as I was waiting for the driver install and the subsequent restart, I was reading more solutions on the GB, and one person suggested, as part of their solution, “If you are part of a Homegroup, open Network properties, and "Leave Group".” I went and did this. After both updating my Intel drivers and leaving the Homegroup……………I can now tune, view, hear, and watch, record and schedule programs! I don’t know which one, or both, finally did the trick for me, but now I’m happy and finally I can go get something to eat and sleep. I can see a few more minor issues, but I’ll post in the more appropriate board category. Thanks to everyone for the help.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Sorry, little out of it last night ... the "first" was just a quick way for you to apply all updates current to 6/15/2017. It wasn't necessary for the repair.

?? Homegroup does this ?? weird. But glad you're up and running regardless... you were right, you certainly know how to persevere.
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:26 am

Well, I’m not certain that leaving the Homegroup had anything to do with helping resolve some of my issues. I believe it’s more likely that updating my Intel graphics driver was more beneficial.
Which got me thinking (uh-oh!), perhaps my next course of action to try and resolve issues still pending with my system, and WMC, would be to check my motherboard drivers, which would include the Bios and sound. I have done that, and can report that more than a couple of issues were resolved by this action, to name a few, my USB 3.0 ports are now working and being recognized, sound settings have expanded and are more functional.

I also discovered that with EPG123 and the 7 lineup’s that TWC/Spectrum present for my area are very confusing. I of course knew right of way that the first lineup I applied was incorrect, and was helped to get that resolved with the reference screenshot containing the additional identifying data for the 7 different lineups being offered by TWC/Spectrum. The second lineup that I chose happened to be the incorrect one also, but a much closer match. Third times a charm, and now I have the correct lineup. I put the blame of this confusion all on TWC/Spectrum for having so many different lineups in one area. As a customer, it has always been difficult to determine what lineup I can have, with the different packages available, the equipment I can and or do use, what are the prices, and different subscriptions and bundles, all of which contribute to your specific lineup. Turns out now I have and needed - Time Warner Cable-Cable (Columbus) (USA-OH34541-L) not - Time Warner Cable-Digital (Columbus) (USA-OH34541-X) or - Time Warner Cable-Digital (Columbus) (USA-OH34511-X) or - Time Warner Cable-Cable (Columbus) (USA-OH34511-R, F, or Default). Very confusing, but I figured it out. EPG123 does not display these specific designations in the lineup search. You can see the specific designations by hovering your pointer over the name at the Add New Lineup on the Schedules Direct web page. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be in the same order when observed in EPG123. You just have to review the lineup to assure, which is the one for you. In my case 7 different choices, some very similar to each other. I can bet if I asked TWC/Spectrum what my specific designation name and numbers are for me, I’d get phone silence. Just information, I suspect this is not much of a problem for most people.

I have a feeling I’ll be hanging around this excellent web forum for a while now, hopefully contributing, since I can already foresee many more questions since my recent total OS reinstall.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:45 am

Yah, the lineups thing there was really confusing. In response, next version of EPG123 will show the lineup ID when the mouse hovers over the lineup name as a tooltip just like you can on the Schedules Direct website. I'll have to see if there is a way to review the contents of a lineup without actually subscribing to it... I believe so. If I can do that, things will be much easier in this kind of situation.

You're probably right about the drivers being the root cause, but I've never liked, fully understood, or appreciated what Homegroup does, so I have no qualms in blaming it for anything. :|

Either way, Welcome! Pull up a chair and stay a while!
- Gary

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:57 am

Cavebat wrote:Well, I’m not certain that leaving the Homegroup had anything to do with helping resolve some of my issues.
If you ever decide to step out of the Homegroup permanently....and create a workgroup....

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 792#p86792

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 am

garyan2, yes you can review the contents of a lineup without actually subscribing, I learned. Sign in, go to My Account, Add a new lineup, input zip, unlike the other columns used to click and add, the right most, no header, column is a preview lineup clickable link which opens a new window with the listing.
Crash2009, thanks, but I have no need for any kind of "group" right now. I'm the only one in the house now, with one TV monitor. It did not bother me to have to leave the group, whether it helped or not.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:34 am

Cavebat wrote:garyan2, yes you can review the contents of a lineup without actually subscribing, I learned. Sign in, go to My Account, Add a new lineup, input zip, unlike the other columns used to click and add, the right most, no header, column is a preview lineup clickable link which opens a new window with the listing.
Yah, I meant within EPG123. Possibly right-click on a list item and bring up the lineup's stations similar to what you can do on SD's website.
- Gary