EPG123 v1.14 Epic Fail

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
ViperJohn

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 v1.14 Epic Fail

Post by ViperJohn » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 am

Classic case of "If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It" here. Been using 1.02 for a long time after starting with and initial setup using an early .9x version if memory serves. v1.02 has been flawless but being long in the tooth thought I would upgrade to v1.14. I upgraded like I have in the past by just copying the "Epg123.exe" and "Epg123client.exe" over the previous versions.

All that resulted was no EPG updating in WMC on two machines. When trying a manual update with v1.14 it appeared to have no problem pulling the data from Schedules Direct but looks to have fell on its face and just exited out when it came to importing the data into WMC.

Downgraded back to v1.02 (again by just copying over executables) and instantly everything went back to working perfectly. This should have been a no brainer and not sure why the upgrade failed so badly.

Viper

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:04 am

Two things when upgrading to v1.1.x.

1) The scheduled task from prior versions need to be deleted and recreated using v1.1.4. This is due to separating the guide download and the guide import into 2 separate actions in the task.

2) The big upgrade to v1.1.x was the change in channel unique IDs which may require the use of a migration utility. If you use automatch, the migration won't be needed. If you do not use automatch, download http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123utility.zip and follow the instructions.

This one is on me for not keeping the utility on the current version release page.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Not really on you as one can always ask on here, as I have done. I'm about to update / upgrade but am waiting for a little time to do it just in case I need to recover something.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 pm

So a long time user, but only took the time to register and create your first ever post to complain that not reading the manual/forum before upgrading caused a problem. Classic case of RTFM. :roll:
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 am

IT Troll wrote:So a long time user, but only took the time to register and create your first ever post to complain that not reading the manual/forum before upgrading caused a problem. Classic case of RTFM. :roll:
What part of garyan2's statement "This one is on me for not keeping the utility on the current version release page" did you not understand there Troll?? I did read the manual and it is clear as mud.

Viper

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Wed May 31, 2017 9:58 am

garyan2 wrote:Two things when upgrading to v1.1.x.

1) The scheduled task from prior versions need to be deleted and recreated using v1.1.4. This is due to separating the guide download and the guide import into 2 separate actions in the task.

2) The big upgrade to v1.1.x was the change in channel unique IDs which may require the use of a migration utility. If you use automatch, the migration won't be needed. If you do not use automatch, download http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123utility.zip and follow the instructions.

This one is on me for not keeping the utility on the current version release page.
Okay garyan2 I tried 1.1.4 again. Brand new system and virgin setup (no previous EPG123 installs) from the gitgo. Exactly the same result. 1.1.4 is pulling the data from Schedules Direct but it's not getting into WMC. I do see the two action in the new Scheduled Task so that went okay. I only have 12 OTA channels coming in which I have alway manually (checked off???) matched. Have never had to play with Auto-match before.

I know I can make 1.0.2 work almost instantly but I would like to stay current with 1.1.4 but the installer is not completing the job from what I can see.

Viper

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed May 31, 2017 11:40 am

ViperJohn wrote:Have never had to play with Auto-match before.
So did you tick the Auto-match box or not? It sounds like the imported listings are not being matched to your channels. You can either use the Auto-match to attempt this automatically (you can then turn it off again after the initial setup), or match them manually as per page 9 in the manual.

The current EPG123 is much more flexible than the 1.0.x and earlier releases. More flexibility means more options, but the manual is excellent. Far better than some commercial offerings I've seen.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:34 pm

@ViperJohn: Since you have so few channels to deal with, I would suggest using the epg123Client GUI. Select all stations in the left panel, right-click and select Unsubscribe. Everything should be empty as far as 'Service Name' and 'Subscribed Lineup'. Finally click on the [# Number] button, or manually subscribe each channel to a station in the right panel.

That should take care of everything for you.
- Gary

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:17 am

garyan2 wrote:@ViperJohn: Since you have so few channels to deal with, I would suggest using the epg123Client GUI. Select all stations in the left panel, right-click and select Unsubscribe. Everything should be empty as far as 'Service Name' and 'Subscribed Lineup'. Finally click on the [# Number] button, or manually subscribe each channel to a station in the right panel.

That should take care of everything for you.
garyan2 (and Troll please stay out of it)

I tried doing that and more ... more than once.

I just spent an all nighter (9 damn hours) trying to get 1.1.4 working with ZERO joy. I tried EVERYTHING multiple times. I could get 1.0.2 working in 10 freaken minutes (about 6 times). I would then try a clean install of 1.1.4 again and squat. The simple fact is 1.1.4 IS NOT getting the data imported into WMC so there is nothing to match up either manually or Auto_Match. I can Manual in WMC itself or Auto_Match 1.0.2 no problem everytime. You can see the import fail just watching the Command Windows as the update is processing. 1.0.2 shows a nice percentage of import completion where 1.1.4 does nothing and just exits out.

The only thing I can come up with is due to the way these systems are used the Windows installs are often restored from regularly taken disk images. These restores could take the Windows install back in time by several days, weeks or rarely months at a time. This requires that time/date sensitive data bases, like the WMC eHome data (at ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome) or Kodi's UserData, etc be moved off the Windows install drive.

Kodi is easy as you just install it on a different drive then use the -p switch to make it's database portable. WMC eHome (data) was/is a damn site harder to relocate without WMC having a raving hissy fit. The way that was accomplished was by creating an eHome (data) folder on another drive (D: in this case) then use DirLinker to create a directory junction in ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome that points to the new D:\eHome data folder location.

Believe me this relocated eHome folder is an absolute God Send when it comes to your WMC database not getting dorked!!! You can have an A-Bomb go off in your Windows install and WMC will be right where it left off when ya get rolling again.

EPG123 v1.0.2 (and of course WMC itself) have no problem with this redirection ... nor should they as the whole point of using a junction is it is transparent to the programs. As near as I can surmise something about EPG123 v1.1.4 doesn't like it at all. The Clean Start button in Epg123client.exe most certainly doesn't ... nor does it respect it. It just wipes out the original eHome folder (and the junction there-in) outright. That button should have taken out the D:\eHome folder the junction in ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome was pointing too and not the ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome folder itself. Not sure why that occured (that whole transparency thing) but then again folder relocation links/junctions are a bit of a "Black Art".

I remember the first versions of EPG123 where nothing about the install was done for you. We had to mod the registry and create the scheduled tasks manually ... then do a human sacrifice to the VooDoo gods before "hitting the switch" and hoping.. That seems like childs play now compared to getting these new versions working (at least for me) lol.

Viper

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:10 am

Okay, now I got something to work with. For right now, stick with v1.0.2 until I can recreate here and get epg123 able to handle this. I believe I may have already fixed it in the upcoming v1.1.5, but I wasn't fixing this particularly scenario but something similar.

Just something to throw out there ... the jump from v1.0.2 to v1.1.0 wasn't just adding some capability, but an almost entire rewrite. I went through the code line-by-line, rewriting where needed, restructuring for better managing, commenting like crazy. Basically a whole lot of work. What I may have lost was anchoring the working directory of epg123 and epg123client when executing the update and import.

If you want, you can try to perform the import manually by "c:\windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i [drive:\folder\]epg123.mxf". <= let me know if this works

To help me out on recreating this scenario, I'm not familiar with DirLinker but does it use symbolic links or junctions? Not sure if it matters, but just want to be as true to your configuration as possible.
- Gary

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:29 am

garyan2

DirLinker actually creates symbolic links. It is simple to use and works very well
https://dirlinker.codeplex.com/

I do tend to refer to Directory Links as Junctions and I really shouldn't. It's just the way I remember them.

In order for me to try the manual import I will have install 1.1.4 again and it will be a couple of days before I can try that again (other irons in the fire thing)

Viper

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:52 am

I've experienced a very similar issue when redirecting iTunes folders. All depends how paths are constructed.
But I'm staying out of it. :silent:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm

ViperJohn wrote:You can see the import fail just watching the Command Windows as the update is processing. 1.0.2 shows a nice percentage of import completion where 1.1.4 does nothing and just exits out.
This part is bugging me a little bit. All I am doing here is calling loadmxf.exe just like I request you to do above manually. Is there anything in the trace.log file to indicate why loadmxf isn't being called or is failing to perform the import?
- Gary

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:54 pm

IT Troll wrote:I've experienced a very similar issue when redirecting iTunes folders. All depends how paths are constructed.
But I'm staying out of it. :silent:
If you think you can contribute toward Garyan2 dinding the solution, and can stay away from the "Classic case of RTFM" crap that was directed at me, your input would probably be appreciated.

Viper

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 pm

garyan2 wrote:
ViperJohn wrote:You can see the import fail just watching the Command Windows as the update is processing. 1.0.2 shows a nice percentage of import completion where 1.1.4 does nothing and just exits out.
This part is bugging me a little bit. All I am doing here is calling loadmxf.exe just like I request you to do above manually. Is there anything in the trace.log file to indicate why loadmxf isn't being called or is failing to perform the import?
I may have miss stated here. Everything in the Command Window info is the same between 1.0.2 and 1.1.4 right up until "Importing Guide Data into Windows Media Center". The info also just flashes by at the end with 1.1.4 before the Command Windows closes so I may be off a bit with it.

With 1.0.2 "Importing Guide Data into Windows Media Center" there is an smooth, incrementing percentage of the import progress. This takes about 2 seconds then the "Kicking Off ???Indexing Task runs fpr about 1-2 second followed by "Attempted ??????" which goes by so quick I can't read it.

With 1.1.4 "Importing Guide Data into Windows Media Center" there is no progress indication at all. It displays for maybe a 1/2 second then the "Kicking Off ???Indexing Task and "Attempted ??????" just flash by almost instantly.

Sadly the logs are gone as I just restored the "Working EPG123 v1.0.2" Windows disk image after I gave up the other night (well morning actually)

I think I can try again this evening and I will save all the logs. Also is there a way to pause the Command Windows before it closes during a normal update. If there is I could also copy and paste it's readout data to a file as well.

Viper

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:57 pm

You could execute epg123.exe -update from a command shell and it won't close when completed.
- Gary

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 am

garyan2 wrote:You could execute epg123.exe -update from a command shell and it won't close when completed.
Oh gees I must be brain dead. I was running that from a shortcut so of course the command window would close when finished Didn't even dawn on me to open a command prompt and type the command in. Not sure why either cause I am an oild DOS guy that uses the a command prompt almost daily and do CMD or PS scripts all the time. Sometimes the light just doesn't switch on lol.

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 am

Hot Damn I Got It!!!

and a few minutes later

Well heck maybe I don't.

If I run from the "Save and Execute" button on the EPG123.exe GUI it all wotks D/L from SD, writing the .mxf file to disk and kicking off the import to WMC task (and automatched then). Full guide is there and I was happy until....

BUT

If I do "K:\WINDOWS\ehome\Epg123\Epg123.exe -update (from a shortcut or in a command window) I get the D/L from SD and the .mxf file write to disk but thats it. The import into WMC task doesn't kick off.

Viper

ViperJohn

Post by ViperJohn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:59 am

Okay correct me if I am wrong. After looking at the multiple action task in order to do a complete manual update now you have run ........Epg123.exe -update as we always did and now follow that with Epg123Client.exe -i "epg123.mxf" -match (optional) correct???

Viper

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm

That is correct.

I'm just going to go ahead and do a facepalm ...if I understand correctly now, when you were trying to perform updates with v1.1.4, you were using a shortcut and not using the GUI nor the Task?
- Gary