Poll: What to add next?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html

Which are your top 2?

Poll ended at Fri May 05, 2017 6:19 am

Custom Lineups
13%
EPG123 Service
48%
WMC Integration
23%
XMLTV Import
6%
Other
10%

Total votes: 31

garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Poll: What to add next?

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 am

So testing the waters to see what the community thinks about future epg123 capability.

Custom Lineups: This is going to happen at some point because I want it, but think about streaming channels like SlingTV. What I do is add DirecTV and DISH in my lineups and nearly all the cable channels available on SlingTV is available to view in grid format in WMC (on bogus 10000+ channel numbers). This will of course also allow you to do searches on the content.

EPG123 Service: Creating a service for epg123 would allow for notifications from the task bar, update retries, statuses, ... ? I'm thinking along the lines of what mcupdate does, but a little more.

WMC Integration: Right now, I can't imagine a lot of capability inside WMC except to provide status on most recent update, account status, demand updates, new channel notifications? ... This may be long lead time since I have not tried MCML yet.

XMLTV Import: This will be limited to converting an XMLTV to MXF and importing. I will not take responsibility for the content of user provided xmltv files. Buyer beware.

Other: leave a post if you've got another idea.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 am

What about some kind of internet TV capability. As long as all of the pages work IE then you could point to TV websites like showtime HBO etc. I have a rainmeter skin that shows an rss from Netflix with pictures and programs like playon also integrate with these kinds of sites. The guide even has channels mapped just for internet tv in the 9000 channels. I don't know how well this would work but it's just a thought. You could also get with SD to see what can be done with their sports scores notifications service. A rep from SD has already offered to work with a dev in my sports strip thread

12noon

Post by 12noon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm

It's not sexy, but I'd like to direct epg123 to use a different directory for its cached data. That way, I can keep epg123 in a OneDrive folder, so I can back up its config file, update it from another machine, and view the log file from another machine. (I've found that keeping epg123--and its cache directory--in OneDrive causes epg123 to crash. My guess is that it tries to gain exclusive access to a file while OD is uploading it--not an unreasonable thing to do. :) I also haven't looked into it. It crashed. I moved it. It worked. Me happy.)

A cosmetic nitpick: I assume you used the console windows for debugging originally. Now, though, (IMO) epg123 is mature enough to eliminate the console windows and have that output in the log file instead. (Since they're Windows apps, they're not really necessary.)

Personally, I prefer e-mail notifications because I'm rarely sitting at my WMC when it does its daily update. I use Pulseway to monitor the event log, so I get notifications on my phone when epg123 has an issue or WMC fails to record something. I also have a homegrown app that e-mails me a list of scheduled and completed recordings (so I can verify it's recording what I want). So, for me, the event log is fine, or if you want to use e-mail, I'll be happy to share my code with you. (IIRC, I use SharpMimeTools, so there's not much to it.) :)
USA 60005
WOW Chicago Suburbs - Digital
USA-IL58819-X

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:12 pm

jachin99 wrote:What about some kind of internet TV capability. As long as all of the pages work IE then you could point to TV websites like showtime HBO etc. I have a rainmeter skin that shows an rss from Netflix with pictures and programs like playon also integrate with these kinds of sites. The guide even has channels mapped just for internet tv in the 9000 channels. I don't know how well this would work but it's just a thought. You could also get with SD to see what can be done with their sports scores notifications service. A rep from SD has already offered to work with a dev in my sports strip thread
No IPTV for EPG123. If there is guide information for an IPTV channel available through SD, it can be shown using the "Custom Lineup" option I mention above. I am not trying to compete with programs like playon or anything like that ... I am just going to provide the guide listings.

To address IPTV a little more, if you notice those 9000 channels do not show up in the TV guide. They will, however, show up in the Internet TV strip which is disabled (just like the sports strip). So you can understand the challenge there. If you can find a method to reactivate the strips permanently, then we can work on getting Internet TV populated with some IPTV feeds.
- Gary

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:51 pm

I've gotten the internet TV tile to show up as well. When I installed the TV library plugin, it reappeared but I think it was nested under that plugin's menu strip. I could not get it to show anything but I don't think that I had the IPTV channels enabled. I will try add that plugin, and enable those channels to see what happens.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:21 pm

I did think it would be nice to add a review rating to movie listings; e.g. IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. But I don't think there are any free of charge APIs.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 am

The metadata for movies includes the Gracenote rating. Does that get displayed in the MCE EPG?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Not wanting to mess with success on our daily driver I'm still on V1.0.2 so IDK.. This ipTV thing sounds pretty good.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 am

IT Troll wrote:I did think it would be nice to add a review rating to movie listings; e.g. IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes. But I don't think there are any free of charge APIs.
We do have review ratings for movies, though to be honest I don't know if the movies for lineups across the pond have a Gracenote rating.

IMDB most certainly is not free, I thought Rotten Tomatoes was ... I think I have a key for them from long ago. Kinda moot though, since I don't want to make epg123 unsustainable. APIs for providers change all the time and the last thing I want to do is make a full time job just trying to keep up with them. As it is right now, I'm waaay behind on the TMDb API which at some point will be turned off and I will be forced to update the code to migrate to the new API. Also, there will be a new API from SD eventually which will have to be addressed when the time comes.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:33 am

12noon wrote:It's not sexy, but ...
I'm looking into a lot of what you mentioned/suggested.

Just an FYI, I tried using OneDrive and didn't have any problems. The difference though may be that I only tried with 21 channels ... a small amount.

Getting rid of the console is definitely a nice idea. As a benefit, it would reduce the code which can look crazy with writing to the event log, writing to the trace.log file, AND writing to the console. Before I strip it out though, I want to make sure everything I write to the trace.log file is up to snuff.
- Gary

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm

garyan2 wrote:So testing the waters to see what the community thinks about future epg123 capability.

Custom Lineups: ....

Maybe there's already a way to do this, but what I need is the ability to import a list of channels, which would be a subset of what you get from Schedules Direct (or any other source in the future).

By default, SD and EPG123 send me a gazillion channels. Based on web output from my cablecard tuners, I see what channels they can tune in. Then, many of those are "unsubscribed" premium channels that I want to remove (7MC movie searches aren't that useful when the results include channels you don't get). Comcast also gives me custom "My Account" TV listing webpages, that supposedly show only the channels I can really get. I'd like to be able to sort though all this, put in a flat file and feed it into EPG123.

If I'm asking for "wheel reinvention" please point me at a good way to get my EPG123 lineup down to the probably few hundred channels
that I want.

Thanks.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm

jonwz wrote:
garyan2 wrote:So testing the waters to see what the community thinks about future epg123 capability.

Custom Lineups: ....

Maybe there's already a way to do this, but what I need is the ability to import a list of channels, which would be a subset of what you get from Schedules Direct (or any other source in the future).

By default, SD and EPG123 send me a gazillion channels. Based on web output from my cablecard tuners, I see what channels they can tune in. Then, many of those are "unsubscribed" premium channels that I want to remove (7MC movie searches aren't that useful when the results include channels you don't get). Comcast also gives me custom "My Account" TV listing webpages, that supposedly show only the channels I can really get. I'd like to be able to sort though all this, put in a flat file and feed it into EPG123.

If I'm asking for "wheel reinvention" please point me at a good way to get my EPG123 lineup down to the probably few hundred channels
that I want.

Thanks.
I think the latest epg123 iterations do this but there's also GuideTool. I've used it to completely customize my guide, not only removing channels I do not watch or get but also renumbering the entire lineup.

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
I think the latest epg123 iterations do this but there's also GuideTool. I've used it to completely customize my guide, not only removing channels I do not watch or get but also renumbering the entire lineup.
Thanks. I didn't think I could pass epg123 or GuideTool a file. Since I'm dealing with so much data, I'd like to edit it down with text editors I'm familiar with, and then possibly a spreadsheet program before feeding it into EPG123.

I'd attach an htm or pdf example but it's not allowed by the board. Suffice to say I want to do bulk somewhat automated changes to the channel list.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:35 pm

You'd have to disable each channel one by one in GuideTool but it creates an xls or cvs file. It is as simple as unchecking a box next to the unwanted channel(s).

I suppose if you followed the same format in excel you can do it like that and create your own xls file to import into GuideTool but why? It is more work on your part to do it that way.

This is maybe topic drift so should be taken to another thread?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 pm

garyan2 wrote:We do have review ratings for movies, though to be honest I don't know if the movies for lineups across the pond have a Gracenote rating.
I do get the "out of four stars" rating, but something from a more respected source would be better.

However, I completely understand why you want to avoid reliance on any more APIs.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Sammy2 wrote:You'd have to disable each channel one by one in GuideTool but it creates an xls or cvs file. It is as simple as unchecking a box next to the unwanted channel(s).
I'm trying to avoid the "one by one" thing, and working with another tool in addition to EPG123. Just want to be able to create a flat file of channel numbers to be included. I vaguely remember that WiRNS has this capability, but I can't find a reference.

WiRNS is an EPG123-like utility for the venerable Replaytv DVR.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 am

If you can export the file to xls and then import it into GuideTool then it'll populate WMC but you'd have to have it formatted correctly. How are you going to do this batch fix of the listings? When I did it, I just spent about 30 to 60 minutes going through and unticking a checkbox but if I knew of an easier way I certainly would do it. It seems that what you want to do is possible but might take just as long to perform.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 am

Integrate our recorded TV into the guide. Similar to Internet TV, but we would use our own recordings.

Right click select new series, would populate the extra channel with a new series.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:14 am

Crash2009 wrote:Integrate our recorded TV into the guide. Similar to Internet TV, but we would use our own recordings.

Right click select new series, would populate the extra channel with a new series.
Not possible from a technical standpoint. I'm curious what this would give us that the Recorded TV does not? You can see all your recordings grouped as series already.
- Gary

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

garyan2 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Integrate our recorded TV into the guide. Similar to Internet TV, but we would use our own recordings.

Not possible from a technical standpoint. I'm curious what this would give us that the Recorded TV does not? You can see all your recordings grouped as series already.
Maybe RecordedTV was a bad example......

Might be a "First Step" to integrate "Other Things" into the guide as well.

Such as streaming services, sports scores, stock ticker, security cameras, weather, etc. and Speaking of other things.....what other things do you have access to?