Any solution to the InfiniTV ETH rebooting itself?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bigsid05

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any solution to the InfiniTV ETH rebooting itself?

Post by bigsid05 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Wondering if anyone has found a solution for the InfiniTV ETH randomly rebooting itself. Mine does it erratically, and it seems to be a well-documented issue based on my reading of the problems. It will always result in WMDRM pairing changing to 'RED' and require me to reboot my HTPC. I've started automatically rebooting my PC at night but I've still had the ETH reboot itself at random points in the afternoon resulting in a bunch of missed recordings. Is my only option to ditch this piece of junk and get a HDHomeRun Prime?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:29 pm

bigsid05 wrote:Is my only option to ditch this piece of junk and get a HDHomeRun Prime?
Yes, or try putting a small cooling fan next to it.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:30 pm

It's fairly out in the open and the rebooting seems to happen very randomly, is it really related to temps? I had read that it was due to a memory leak of some kind.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Here is a link to a small collection of temperature monitoring tools.....if you need to confirm what's going on with your ETH6

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 180#p20180

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm

bigsid05 wrote:It's fairly out in the open and the rebooting seems to happen very randomly, is it really related to temps? I had read that it was due to a memory leak of some kind.
Some users have reported better results by providing additional cooling. However, there are numerous threads on this forum describing issues with Ceton hardware in general.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm

It is almost always related to cooling the device. You can try my CetonMonitor tool - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=9389

It will monitor the Ceton ETH device and when it restarts it will repair the WDRM on the media center pc so you don't need to restart it.

Marc

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Can I run 2 instances of this? I have two ETH's.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:13 am

KerrAvon wrote:It is almost always related to cooling the device. You can try my CetonMonitor tool - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=9389

It will monitor the Ceton ETH device and when it restarts it will repair the WDRM on the media center PC so you don't need to restart it.

Marc

In my installation I found a different cause. Cooling had already been adressed with each unit sitting on top of a small fan.....

My other theory had to do with the PS supplied by Ceton. I purchased a constant voltage device which puts out 110v (this is different than most commercial UPS devices) and since that time I've only had two or three reboots at random in the last two years. Both Walmart and Fry's have the constant voltage devices. Probably a better wall wart would do the same thing.

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 am

I tried a better wall wart and that didn't fix the issue for me.

Marc's tool seems super useful but I've already switched to a HDHR which worked immediately and has cut my channel change times down tremendously. It's no surprise that Ceton fell apart considering their sub par hardware...

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:50 am

Does anybody in this thread actually have an ETH? It has absolutely nothing to do with temperature or PS or anything like that. It's a memory leak that's never been fixed and never will be. Your ETH will spontaneously reboot at least once a month no matter what. Best you can do is periodically force a reboot or restart of WMC. Somebody on AVSForum wrote a utility that monitors the ETH and restarts WMC services when it detects a reboot. Works pretty well, but I don't have a link to the thread.

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 am

Did you actually read the thread? There's already been skepticism about the temperature AND a link to the tool you're taking about.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:15 pm

bigsid05 wrote:Did you actually read the thread? There's already been skepticism about the temperature AND a link to the tool you're taking about.
Just trying to help dude. Did you actually try Kerr's tool?
Last edited by mdavej on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigsid05

Post by bigsid05 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:18 pm

mdavej wrote:
bigsid05 wrote:Did you actually read the thread? There's already been skepticism about the temperature AND a link to the tool you're taking about.
Just trying to help dude. Did you actually try Kerr's tool? None of your posts mention the memory leak, only power and temp. So you already knew about that and decided not to mention it?
What's with all the snark? Even after that, you still didn't read the thread. Check the 3rd post... it was literally the first thing I mentioned when temps were brought up.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 pm

bigsid05 wrote:
mdavej wrote:
Just trying to help dude. Did you actually try Kerr's tool? None of your posts mention the memory leak, only power and temp. So you already knew about that and decided not to mention it?
What's with all the snark? Even after that, you still didn't read the thread. Check the 3rd post... it was literally the first thing I mentioned when temps were brought up.
Point taken. Good luck

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 am

Didn't mean to imply that the ETH device only reboots due to a temperature issue. I have also observed the memory leak on my device and while I cannot say definitively it has rebooted because of that I believe that it can also be an issue. Your firmware version and other conditions may produce different results.

Regarding using the CetonMonitor tool to monitor two ETH devices - You would need to run two instances of it - each monitoring one IP address. Should work.

Marc

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 am

mdavej wrote:Does anybody in this thread actually have an ETH? It has absolutely nothing to do with temperature or PS or anything like that. It's a memory leak that's never been fixed and never will be. Your ETH will spontaneously reboot at least once a month no matter what. Best you can do is periodically force a reboot or restart of WMC. Somebody on AVSForum wrote a utility that monitors the ETH and restarts WMC services when it detects a reboot. Works pretty well, but I don't have a link to the thread.
Now I remember... There were a few guys that plugged the ETH into a simple lamp timer to force a cold boot. As I recall some set it to boot weekly, with good results.

This thread had a lot of info on the ETH6

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 506#p84506

Not that you need it Sid. For the next sucker that buys one. I have always threatened to go buy one just to prove its not as bad as everyone says, but I am beginning to believe the writing on the wall.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 am

KerrAvon wrote:Didn't mean to imply that the ETH device only reboots due to a temperature issue. I have also observed the memory leak on my device and while I cannot say definitively it has rebooted because of that I believe that it can also be an issue. Your firmware version and other conditions may produce different results.

Regarding using the CetonMonitor tool to monitor two ETH devices - You would need to run two instances of it - each monitoring one IP address. Should work.

Marc
Any suggestions.....

get Ceton Echo to work in Win10 10586?

Detect CableCard tuner in AU 14393?

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ost1319240

KerrAvon

Post by KerrAvon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Regarding Win10...

From a technical perspective I understand why this effort exists - I know people want this to run on Windows 10 because 1) it was in the beta and then removed - so people want it back 2) some want to run the latest OS and have all of the same functionality that came before 3) it is technically challenging and some of us can't resist a challenge.

Ultimately this effort is fruitless because Microsoft has abandoned MediaCenter in Windows 10 (you could argue 8.1) and without support for newer hardware, drivers, DRM, encodings...... MediaCenter on WIn10 will never be a complete and robust solution like it is on Windows 7. Based on what I read of the changes to the Anniversary Update and the new Creators Update - The DRM has changed so significantly as to render Media Center unusable for protected content. It also will not work with Extenders - so I argue: What is the point in putting all of this effort into something that was not designed to run on Windows 10? It will never be a complete and turnkey solution like it is on Win7. Without DRM, reliable CableCard Tuner support and Extenders it is not a complete and viable solution for all use-cases.

Windows 7 is the most stable and reliable platform to be running Windows Media Center on - full stop. All of my MediaCenter apps are designed and supported on Windows 7 only - because it just works. If the development community focused on supporting the optimal platform we may be able to further improve the Media Center experience.

WMC on Win10 is just a hackers curiosity. And I am not dismissing the incredible amount of effort that went in by many here to port the Win8 version over to Win10 and get it partially working. It just will never be as capable or robust as Win7.

Marc

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 pm

I am guessing that the ones that want it on Win10 are the ones that do not have a dedicated system for WMC and want to also use it for other things. Or they are just masochists.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 am

Space wrote:I am guessing that the ones that want it on Win10 are the ones that do not have a dedicated system for WMC and want to also use it for other things. Or they are just masochists.
Might be true for others, but not in my case.

This was my first revolt October 2014.... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 045#p81045

I have 4 boxes dedicated to TV Stuff. Two for production (Win7 and Win10-10586) and Two for experiments (Win10-14393, and Win10 LTSB 2016). When experiments are not working, sometimes I wonder if I have a masochistic streak in me. Initially I got into the WMC in 10 project as more of a revolt after being told I can't have it anymore. Somewhere along the line revolt changed to preservation.

My masochistic streak has rewarded me with many failed projects, however it did reward me with one (1) success. I was the first, and quite possibly, the only one in the world to have a working WMC and CableCARD tuner in Win10-14393.

Roughly 2 weeks after the First Wave of the Anniversary Update August 2016. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 43#p109643