Ethernet in Ethernet out?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
nolos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ethernet in Ethernet out?

Post by nolos » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:07 am

I have a HDHomerun Connect and have used it up until I just moved. Now I have my cable coming in from fiber. It goes from the fiber box to ethernet an into the box provided by the cable company. So now I can use the HDHomerun. I was thinking of trying to buy an ethernet to coaxial adapter and then running it into my HDHR but I thought that if there is some type of dual tuner out there that has an ethernet input and then and ethernet output I would like to give that a try. Does anyone know if one exists? Thanks.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Simply ask your cable company if they clear QAM over coax. Tell them you want to plug their service into a digital cable ready Tivo, without a cableCARD. They'll understand that. See what they say.

nolos

Post by nolos » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I need to somehow get this ethernet cable into my hdhomerun tuner. In just ought a directv deca to try but no go. I figured I could plug the ethernet cable in and it would convert it to coax and then I could hook it up to the hdhomerun. It wont work though, It keeps saying no network. It wanta me to hook up another deca to convert it back to ethernet, which I don't need to do. Is there not a network tuner out there that has an IP input intead of a coax?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Sounds like your all sorts of messed up... DECA is only for an isolated/IE separate coax feed than your broadcast line for home network purpose. As fas as the HD Home run, the Ethernet is intended for your home network, and should be put on a switch or router. If it has no cable antenna source feed it isn't going to do anything. USA satellite does not really work with WMC in any functional way/IE video capture card and IR blaster. A fiber system is IP and also not supported by the connect. If you want to use it you will need a antenna. There is also no aftermarket IP cable boxes and assume that all the providers whether Verizon, Google, AT&T are proprietary technologies and vastly different.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:51 pm

You now have Internet Service and TV service delivered via fiber. The fiber comes into a box that outputs one (or many) RJ45 connectors (8-wire phone-type female modules) that are used for an IP network. Let's call that box the "modem".

First, let's talk about your home network. How many RJ45 connectors are on the modem? Do you have an external "router" connected to the modem? Do you have a home computer connected? What IP did it get? A private 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x? or something else? The HDHR "Ethernet" port should connect the same way as a wired computer in your home.

Second, let's talk about how you get video. Does your TV plug directly into the "modem"? Does the TV plug into a set-top box? How does the set-top box connect to the "modem"? Does it have a coaxial connector or does it use a RJ45?

If it uses a coaxial connector, there's a chance it could work "normally".

If the set-top-box connects via RJ45 then the system probably uses Video over IP so you'll need to keep using the set top box. You may be able to connect the set-top-box to the HDHR, but probably not... and it won't have the ability to change channels.

If you post your cable company, folks may be able to figure out what you have. There's a good chance you won't be able to get it to work with MCE or HDHR.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 pm

nolos wrote:I have a HDHomerun Connect and have used it up until I just moved.
A HDHomerun Connect (there is a sticker on the bottom that will tell you what it is)

You need an antenna for that one. The cheaper indoor type will work, but it would be a good idea to plan for an outdoor antenna. Go down to your local Radio Shack and ask some questions. Don't buy anything yet. There is a website called TvFool https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 Figure out what you can receive and what kind of antenna you need.
Attachments
HDHRConnect001.JPG

nolos

Post by nolos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks for the info all. Here is some more details that will hopefully help everyone. You're right rmeden, there is a fiber box on the wall outside with fiber coming in. We can call it the modem. There are two rj45 cables coming out. One is for internet and the other is dedicated to the iptv. The internet works like normal and runs into a router and then into my htpc that has kodi on it. Up until I moved. I had my coax cable screwed into the HDHR and the rj45 came out of that and into the router. From there I pulled the signal into WMC and from there into Kodi. Now that I have moved, My cable now comes across an rj45 instead of coax on that second line coming out of the modem. Somehow I need to figure out how to get the new channels into Kodi. I can think of 3 options. The first one is to convert the rj45 to coax and then run it into the HDHR. That seemed to be the easiest method but there really isn't a straight converter to do so. The only thing that would get me there is to use a MoCA or DeCA device. The problem I am running into is that I plug the rj45 into the "transmitter" part of the converter and none of the devices really one to work until they sense the "receiver" connected on the other end. But I don't want the receiver. I don't want to convert it back to rj45. I want it to stay as coax so I can plug it into the back of the hdHomeRun. So I'm at a loss on this for now. The 2nd option is to find a network tuner like the HDHR that has an rj45 input instead of a coax . That would solve my issue in a hurry but as far as I can tell, they don't exist or if some of the ones that look like a possibility but are several hundred dollars and not worth the risk. The 3rd option is to figure out how to get the info needed to plug into an addon like simple IPTV or something. I've not really done much with this yet since it's going to be difficult to do and that's if it's even possible. If I can get the feed and set up a playlist then That might work. I am using MetroNet. I know there is a big company out there called Metronet but I think I am on a different one. This company is only in parts of Indiana and Illinois. If anyone has any other suggestions tyhen I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 am

Now that I have moved, My cable now comes across an rj45 instead of coax on that second line coming out of the modem. Somehow I need to figure out how to get the new channels into Kodi.
Something's missing here.

What you describe is NOT standard television. It doesn't sound like there's any standard frequencies or types of signal coming out of there. The entire third party tuner world expects coax wiring, and either ATSC or QAM signals over that coax wire, on well established cable frequencies.

At the very least, you're missing the coax wiring. And if it's true IPTV, you're also missing the standard QAM signals over standard frequencies.

What you describe sounds to me like a completely proprietary system that requires the cable company's converter boxes to work.

So tell us: if you asked the cable company to come in and give you whole house DVR, what would they install and how would they install it?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am

Sounds like he is describing an ONT.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12565

Metronet..

http://www.metronetinc.com

You can set it up in Kodi.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=215

I "think" this doesn't work with WMC. Call Comcast and order a normal coax cable package.
Attachments
MetroNet001.JPG

nolos

Post by nolos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks guys. Just for anyone's curiosity, the cable runs into a Cisco ISB7100 IP Set top box provided by the cable/isp provider. I saw your link to the IPTV Simple TV Client. Was there a specific thread your were shooting for? I had done some searching there for metronet and the likes but got no results and there is 40 pages of very similar subject lines so i didn't know where to even start. I'm in the 47591 zip code area. From what I can find, this company and NewWave Communications are my only 2 choices for cable and NewWave is 3 times as much just for some basic channels so I am doing everything to avoid them. Any other thoughts?

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 am

If it's anything like AT&T Uverse, while TV runs over IP it's proprietary multicast and probably encrypted. You'll need to use their set-top box and an IR (or RF) blaster to control it. Integrating with an external device will be difficult if possible. Sorry, but you're locked in. :(