Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
dejavux2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by dejavux2 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:35 am

Question:

If I go into Task Scheduler and 'Disable' both "mcupdate" entries, wouldn't that stop WMC from downloading Rovi everyday?

I'm using EPG123 now (LOVE IT), but didn't do the clean start, still afraid of messing things up. I will eventually do it, but not yet.

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:34 am

I recall at least one of the runs runs the client maintenance weekly, which cleans the database, disabling that isn't a great idea...
-Alan

romperroom

Post by romperroom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Gary, since you have such a good handle on how WMC works, you should come up with a program to backup recording schedules and channel selections. I know that there are a couple out there (like Sean's WMC Backup) but they really don't work well at all. Just a thought..... :thumbup:

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:24 pm

romperroom wrote:Gary, since you have such a good handle on how WMC works, you should come up with a program to backup recording schedules and channel selections. I know that there are a couple out there (like Sean's WMC Backup) but they really don't work well at all. Just a thought..... :thumbup:
I second this request. After losing my TV guide data, the most frustrating part of 7mc is when I have to re-enter my whole recording schedule (usually after I've been "mcup-chucked"). It's really frustrating because I always want my recurrings to be "save last episodes" and that isn't offered as default. So I can't just doubleclick on a show in the guide, have to edit the series details.

Would love to be able to save my recording schedule, and if possible import that schedule into a new system. My 7mc's tend to break :(

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 am

jonwz wrote:
romperroom wrote:Gary, since you have such a good handle on how WMC works, you should come up with a program to backup recording schedules and channel selections. I know that there are a couple out there (like Sean's WMC Backup) but they really don't work well at all. Just a thought..... :thumbup:
I second this request. After losing my TV guide data, the most frustrating part of 7mc is when I have to re-enter my whole recording schedule (usually after I've been "mcup-chucked"). It's really frustrating because I always want my recurrings to be "save last episodes" and that isn't offered as default. So I can't just doubleclick on a show in the guide, have to edit the series details.

Would love to be able to save my recording schedule, and if possible import that schedule into a new system. My 7mc's tend to break :(
The recording schedule is actually the easiest thing to backup/restore. The tuners look to be a bit harder to ensure it works, but it may be doable. I've been looking into what it would take to basically take a "snapshot" of WMC tuner/recording to be archived for later use. Here is a manual method until I can create something.

Copy/archive the latest file from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepgX-Y\backup\recordings (X-Y is typically 2-0 for Win7 and 3-0 for win8+, but the Y can be any number based on database "recoveries"). The file has no extension, but is a simple XML file.

To restore your recordings, just run "C:\Windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i [archived file from above]" and your recordings will be restored. Once the guide listings have been imported and a reindex job complete, everything should look correct.

The same procedure can be used for the lineup (tuners), but this will really only work for the same machine/tuners. This is not something, I believe, that will work for multiple machines with the same file.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

noslack

Post by noslack » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:56 am

garyan2 wrote:
jonwz wrote:

The recording schedule is actually the easiest thing to backup/restore. The tuners look to be a bit harder to ensure it works, but it may be doable. I've been looking into what it would take to basically take a "snapshot" of WMC tuner/recording to be archived for later use. Here is a manual method until I can create something.

Copy/archive the latest file from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepgX-Y\backup\recordings (X-Y is typically 2-0 for Win7 and 3-0 for win8+, but the Y can be any number based on database "recoveries"). The file has no extension, but is a simple XML file.

To restore your recordings, just run "C:\Windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i [archived file from above]" and your recordings will be restored. Once the guide listings have been imported and a reindex job complete, everything should look correct.

The same procedure can be used for the lineup (tuners), but this will really only work for the same machine/tuners. This is not something, I believe, that will work for multiple machines with the same file.
I did this, and thank you by the way, but the recordings in EPG123 are not scheduled to record, the series that is, and prior to the EPG123 and the nightmare of Rovi, I would use Media Center Backup and the series would load and be set to record, but it didn't work in my WMC after I installed the EPG123 program, so I don't know, it doesn't matter to me, but my wifes computer has probably 300 series and some can't be put in manually since you can only do that when they are actively running so please if you or anyone knows how to load the series and have them be set for recording, or if I am missing something, please tell me, please....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 am

Has the reindex been done? When importing the recording schedules back in, a reindex has to be performed for WMC to actually find all the series episodes in the guide listings that match with your scheduled recordings.

Something to make sure of though ... the above process will only work if going from an epg123 guide to another epg123 guide. It probably will not work for scheduled recordings from WMC/Rovi since the series IDs are different. This would be true if using Sean's WMC Backup as well.
- Gary

noslack

Post by noslack » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:48 am

garyan2 wrote:Has the reindex been done? When importing the recording schedules back in, a reindex has to be performed for WMC to actually find all the series episodes in the guide listings that match with your scheduled recordings.

Something to make sure of though ... the above process will only work if going from an epg123 guide to another epg123 guide. It probably will not work for scheduled recordings from WMC/Rovi since the series IDs are different. This would be true if using Sean's WMC Backup as well.
Thank you so much for the response, wow, this Rovi was a nightmare, but I think that is what MS wanted, all of us to go away, sad.. I just went to delete and rebuild the index and I will post if it works, but again, thanks for replying, I am sort of at a crossroads, I either can have my wife freak when her series are not recording because of me and the new EPG123 or stay with the Rovi and not have her recordings record because Rovi flags new shows as repeats so they won't record, just a fun time here at OK Rovi Corral...

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:35 am

Hi - I'm a bit perplexed by this. Why did the app create over 2mm files in the cached folder? Windows has not stopped counting. I had no idea that this was also being sent to my server because of file history backup.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:19 am

andy_d wrote:Hi - I'm a bit perplexed by this. Why did the app create over 2mm files in the cached folder? Windows has not stopped counting. I had no idea that this was also being sent to my server because of file history backup.
The cache folder contains nearly all the files downloaded from Schedules Direct to create the mxf file. There can be 50,000+ files stored for lineups with hundreds of channels for 21 days. By storing the files locally, epg123 will only need to download new files or changed files for the updates. This lessens the load on the servers and significantly decreases the time it takes to perform a daily update.

The cache folder isn't critical and easy to rebuild, so it is safe to exclude that folder from any backups.
- Gary

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:05 pm

garyan2 wrote:
andy_d wrote:Hi - I'm a bit perplexed by this. Why did the app create over 2mm files in the cached folder? Windows has not stopped counting. I had no idea that this was also being sent to my server because of file history backup.
The cache folder contains nearly all the files downloaded from Schedules Direct to create the mxf file. There can be 50,000+ files stored for lineups with hundreds of channels for 21 days. By storing the files locally, epg123 will only need to download new files or changed files for the updates. This lessens the load on the servers and significantly decreases the time it takes to perform a daily update.

The cache folder isn't critical and easy to rebuild, so it is safe to exclude that folder from any backups.
50,000 I can understand but over 2 million doesn't make much sense. I have stopped using WMC since the DRM break but didn't realize this was still on my server. Just seems strange that it would have collected so many files. Unless it wasn't automatically deleting older files.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:34 pm

andy_d wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

50,000 I can understand but over 2 million doesn't make much sense. I have stopped using WMC since the DRM break but didn't realize this was still on my server. Just seems strange that it would have collected so many files. Unless it wasn't automatically deleting older files.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Wow ... thought that was a typo. 2 million is definitely not expected. Does the security credentials of the update task have permissions to remove files? How long have you been running epg123 to collect that many files?
- Gary

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:06 am

garyan2 wrote:Wow ... thought that was a typo. 2 million is definitely not expected. Does the security credentials of the update task have permissions to remove files? How long have you been running epg123 to collect that many files?
I want to say it was at least 5 months? I first asked about epg back in July. I wasn't really using the pc anymore for WMC because of the DRM break on the hacked WMC but the service was likely still running. Not sure really what the period was. This was a screenshot of the cache folder contents and the lower left shows the file count. It's around 1.7 million files as I was already in the process of deleting.

Anyway, probably would be difficult to figure out what might have happened. I'm not sure if there is anything on the PC logs wise. I'll check this weekend

andy_d

Post by andy_d » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:09 am

Actually, I think I see what the problem is. Because I didn't realize Windows Server was backing up the downloads folder for file history, that's why it became a problem. Looks like any changes to a specific file was being tracked and if there are 50,000 files then history will be a bit nuts.

So sorry - not the apps fault but my own fault for not realizing file history was enabled which I don't need at all

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi,

My WMC channel guide doesn't load anymore and decided to give the EPG123 a shot and got 2 months subscription from ShedulesDirect to see if this would a better option. On the other hand, I followed the EPG123 setup/installation guide however the channel guide wouldn't load. It's been a while a haven't tinkered the WMC the fact it's working until the my recording stopped working and the channel guide doesn't refresh anymore.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:33 am

Pacmania wrote:Hi,

My WMC channel guide doesn't load anymore and decided to give the EPG123 a shot and got 2 months subscription from ShedulesDirect to see if this would a better option. On the other hand, I followed the EPG123 setup/installation guide however the channel guide wouldn't load. It's been a while a haven't tinkered the WMC the fact it's working until the my recording stopped working and the channel guide doesn't refresh anymore.
Can you provide a little more information other than "it didn't work"? I recommend starting a new thread.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Pacmania

Post by Pacmania » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:30 am

Scallica wrote:
Pacmania wrote:Hi,

Can you provide a little more information other than "it didn't work"? I recommend starting a new thread.

Hi,

I'm sorry that I've not been able to articulate my wordings the fact that English is not my first language. Anyhow, I just recently put a check on the "Automatch station to channels" and it populated the channel guide thereafter.
Last edited by Pacmania on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:42 am

Pacmania wrote: I'm sorry that I've not been able to articulate my wordings the fact that English is not my first language. Anyhow, I just recently put a check on the "Automatch station to channels" and the it populated the channel guide thereafter.
:thumbup:
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

12noon

Post by 12noon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:51 am

If I go into Task Scheduler and 'Disable' both "mcupdate" entries, wouldn't that stop WMC from downloading Rovi everyday?

I'm using EPG123 now (LOVE IT), but didn't do the clean start, still afraid of messing things up. I will eventually do it, but not yet.
Is it sufficient to stop Rovi if I just disable the Automatic Download WMC data option in General > Automatic Download Options? Since we all have only a day or two of listings remaining, there shouldn't be much left. (Although, I suppose there's enough Rovi stuff left to pollute the Movie Guide and search, eh?)

Yeah, I'm nervous about doing the clean start, too. But since we have to re-enter all scheduled recordings anyway, I'll probably do a clean start on my primary WMC after I finish testing EPG123 on my secondary WMC. (If it works well enough, it seems easier to run the ObjectStoreRecovery task and manually trigger the Clear Recording Schedule option than Safe Boot, etc. Or is it better/cleaner/safer to Safe Boot and use EPG123's Clean Start button?)
USA 60005
WOW Chicago Suburbs - Digital
USA-IL58819-X

glorp

Post by glorp » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:31 am

12noon wrote:

Is it sufficient to stop Rovi if I just disable the Automatic Download WMC data option in General > Automatic Download Options? Since we all have only a day or two of listings remaining, there shouldn't be much left. (Although, I suppose there's enough Rovi stuff left to pollute the Movie Guide and search, eh?)
In fact it is the correct way to do it. Don't disable the mcupdate scheduled tasks. They need to be run in order to handle garbage collection on the EPG database. Just disable Automatic Download options from WMC.