Remote functions are not working

groucho111

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote functions are not working

Post by groucho111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:55 am

I saw a similar post back in 2013 but it was never resolved, So I am posting my own issue.

I am running my HTPC with a WMC remote receiver and a Logitech Harmony remote for control. My daughter was watching a show on live TV and Pause/ Stop/ Rewind and other functions from the remote wouldn't work. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse attached. I even clicked on the on-screen control buttons on the lower right had no effect. I was able to escape and at least get back to the main menu. Restarted the HTPC several times with no success.

I tried recorded shows and there does not seem to be an issue. works fine. I went back to live TV and the issue came back, but even then only on certain channels. Fox News and National geographic have the no pause/ stop/ rewind issue but CNN and other channels did not. I went back and forth between Fox and CNN several times and fox always had the issue and CNN would not.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 am

I've never had this problem, and this is probably not going to be very helpful, but here are some thoughts...

If you are on FiOS, I know that all Fox cable networks are copy protected with DRM (CopyOnce), but I have no idea why that would prevent pause/stop/rewind. Do other Fox networks (or any CopyOnce shows) have the same problem (assuming you have FiOS)?

FX
Fox Sports 1
Big Ten Network
Fox Business
Fox News
NatGeo
FXX

I suppose it is also possible that they have set a different copy protection other than CopyOnce by mistake. I am not sure if there is any DRM option to disallow pause/rewind/stop (although I can't think of a reason for preventing stop), but I do know that a setting of CopyNever means that live TV can be paused (delayed) for up to 90 minutes but cannot be recorded.
If you are able to record shows from these Fox networks and when you play back these recorded shows you have no problems with pause/rewind/stop (you only have problems with watching them "live"), then it wouldn't make sense that it is DRM related, so it is probably something else, but it could always be a bug with the way WMC handles less common DRM markings.

If you have a HDHR Prime, you can use it to see what DRM is currently being used on any tuned channel. I assume other CableCard devices have something similar.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents... It probably has nothing to do with your problem but might be a small chance it is related to DRM.

groucho111

Post by groucho111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 am

Well, I might have figured it out but not sure. I do have two HDHR Primes on Comcast. I unplugged both of them from power and let them reset. The issue seems to have gone away for now. I'm not 100% sure but I think one of the HDHR's had a tuner stuck on. I took a shower about an hour before the issue came up on my HTPC. I had live TV playing on an android tablet while I was in the shower using the HD HomeRun app from the play store. I wonder if I didn't close the app properly thus leading to the tuner not being "released" properly thus causing the issue with other tuners accessing the HDHR? just a thought.

I appreciate the response about DRM, but I don't think that was it. everything is working now after the reset.