Future v1.1.0 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
jonwz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jonwz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:21 pm

garyan2 wrote:
How is the automatch not working for you right now?
I can't select it in the GUI. Seriously, there's the square checkbox, followed by the Automatch text, followed by the fillable mxf path. I can't get the square checkbox to get "checked". What am I missing?

I really like the idea of the client making it easy to schedule repeated late night runs, and showing that the last run completed.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:44 pm

jonwz wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
I can't select it in the GUI. Seriously, there's the square checkbox, followed by the Automatch text, followed by the fillable mxf path. I can't get the square checkbox to get "checked". What am I missing?

I really like the idea of the client making it easy to schedule repeated late night runs, and showing that the last run completed.
Do you have an Unlock button with a shield on it? Click that.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:44 pm

No unlock button, nothing that looks like a shield. I even tried running epg123client as administrator.

As for why I'm also getting the rovi guide - everytime I reconfigured and said "no" to the guide terms and conditions, epg123 would not populate the guide.

I'll probably build a fresh win7 32bit system this week. I'll try rejecting the rovi guide. if I hit the empty guilde after running epg123, I'll work with you to debug if you'd like.
garyan2 wrote:
jonwz wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

Do you have an Unlock button with a shield on it? Click that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:52 pm

There is a button in the Scheduled Task group that will say 1 of 3 things. I think it's important to note that the checkbox is only for the scheduled task.

'Unlock' : the epg123Client has not been run with elevated privileges; automatch checkbox not available
'Delete' : the epg123Client has been run with elevated privileges and a scheduled task exists; automatch checkbox reflects the task's automatch selection and is not changeable
'Create' : the epg123Client has been run with elevated privileges and a scheduled task do not exist; the checkbox is changeable until you create the task

If you look below the Scheduled Task group, you will see Automatch followed by 2 flat buttons; [# Number] and [Call Sign]. These 2 buttons are to perform an automatch immediately within the GUI and not part of the Scheduled Task.
automatch.PNG
automatch.PNG (8.8 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
automatch2.PNG
automatch2.PNG (6.82 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
automatch3.PNG
automatch3.PNG (8.71 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
I certainly encourage a clean start, but you could select any channel on the left side, press [Ctrl]+[A] to select all, right-click and select unsubscribe, then use the [# Number] automatch button. Your guide will be free of Rovi and all channels will be matched by channel number. Now since Rovi is still in there, some things will not look/work properly, but the Guide will be what you would expect with good data.
- Gary

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm

OK, I see the key as "delete" since I already scheduled a task. Works differently than the line-mode command. If I understand, you can now do an automatch by channel number or call sign without a separate import?

On my system, the " # number" and "call sign" areas didn't look selectable until I hovered over with the pointer. You might consider making them appear like the other buttons such as "manual import".

garyan2 wrote:There is a button in the Scheduled Task group that will say 1 of 3 things. I think it's important to note that the checkbox is only for the scheduled task.

'Unlock' : the epg123Client has not been run with elevated privileges; automatch checkbox not available
'Delete' : the epg123Client has been run with elevated privileges and a scheduled task exists; automatch checkbox reflects the task's automatch selection and is not changeable
'Create' : the epg123Client has been run with elevated privileges and a scheduled task do not exist; the checkbox is changeable until you create the task

If you look below the Scheduled Task group, you will see Automatch followed by 2 flat buttons; [# Number] and [Call Sign]. These 2 buttons are to perform an automatch immediately within the GUI and not part of the Scheduled Task.
automatch.PNG
automatch2.PNG
automatch3.PNG
I certainly encourage a clean start, but you could select any channel on the left side, press [Ctrl]+[A] to select all, right-click and select unsubscribe, then use the [# Number] automatch button. Your guide will be free of Rovi and all channels will be matched by channel number. Now since Rovi is still in there, some things will not look/work properly, but the Guide will be what you would expect with good data.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:34 pm

So how's this going?

Back last spring I was willing to beta because at that time we were using Uverse but now that my HTPC is our only daily driver for CATV thanks to epg123, I'm hesitant to jump on board until it is know to not only work but offer an improvement over what we now have which is very stable; such that I only check the trace.log every couple of days to confirm it is still working..

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 am

Sammy2 wrote:So how's this going?

Back last spring I was willing to beta because at that time we were using Uverse but now that my HTPC is our only daily driver for CATV thanks to epg123, I'm hesitant to jump on board until it is know to not only work but offer an improvement over what we now have which is very stable; such that I only check the trace.log every couple of days to confirm it is still working..
It's going much slower than I would like, but still working on it. There have been a few requests that I still need to research, some aren't going to pan out. The biggest thing about this change is I have to make sure everything is clear as to what is different, why it is better, and exactly what the user needs to do to make it perfect. Of course, I am also building it so that if someone just wants to drop the executables on their drive and walk away, it will still work exactly as the older version.

Detailing all that, and bringing the documentation up to speed, is going to be time consuming which I have little of right now... but still find time each day to play around with it. ;)
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the update, Gary..

Keep us posted on when it is ready for prime time.

Thanks for all your hard work on this project.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:30 am

Any objection out there to me removing the option "Allow NEW flag to override Original Air Date" and make it a standard feature. I was reluctant to add it to epg123 a long time ago, but have had it ON with my machines and have found no issues. In fact, it has ensured recordings have not been missed when schedules have been changed and episodes pushed back due to events (i.e. World Series / Presidential Debates).

Speak now or forever hold your peace.
- Gary

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:03 am

Sounds good to me! (unless it causes me problems later and then it would suck! :crazy: )

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:08 am

I know this is off-topic, but I'm hoping some replies can keep me using EPG123 and WMC as my DVR.

I just got the dreaded letter from Comcast: MPEG-4 is coming, and, unless I'm gravely mistaken, my Ceton InfiniTV 4s will not support it, though my CableCARDs will. I like Ceton, generally speaking, but I'm not sure about their long-term viability. What, if any, similar solutions to my problem are there? I'm loath to go back to a Comcast STB/DVR, and don't really want to go TiVo, though it was my first DVR on DirecTV back in the day (ah, the heady daze of direct access to the Linux OS, FTP'ing copy-free recordings, etc. ;-) ). I have until April 10 or so, though I'd like to have it sorted before my SD subscription comes up for auto-renewal. I'll be doing research soon, but since I just got the letter, I figured I'd throw it out there to my brothers in arms.

Any help may just get Gary some more beer $$$ ;-)

Cheers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found this, and a few other anecdotal posts, that have allayed my worries: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... st21611485

Straight from the horse's mouth.

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:01 am

Definitely the wrong thread, but... various threads here like http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 68&t=10512 suggest the Ceton cards will still work. It's likely to be the least of your problems, as maybe in http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =99&t=9635.

And yes, Ceton for all intents and purposes is a dead company, at least in this market sector.
-Alan

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 am

webminster wrote:Definitely the wrong thread, but... various threads here like http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 68&t=10512 suggest the Ceton cards will still work. It's likely to be the least of your problems, as maybe in http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =99&t=9635.

And yes, Ceton for all intents and purposes is a dead company, at least in this market sector.
Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for the links. Don't use extenders, so I'll roll the dice and hope it all works, esp. with Intel HD 3000 graphics. I watch so little live TV that the odd channel switching bug won't be an issue. And yeah, I'm used to Ceton, and this market in general, being on life support or dead. But I've got full WAF, so if it ain't broke...

Cheers, and long live EPG123!!

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 am

Watch out for the Intel graphics, especially if you subscribe to premiums.
Back to the regularly scheduled program... and yeah Gary ditto!
-Alan

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:08 am

garyan2 wrote:Any objection out there to me removing the option "Allow NEW flag to override Original Air Date" and make it a standard feature. I was reluctant to add it to epg123 a long time ago, but have had it ON with my machines and have found no issues. In fact, it has ensured recordings have not been missed when schedules have been changed and episodes pushed back due to events (i.e. World Series / Presidential Debates).

Speak now or forever hold your peace.
Remove the ability all together or just remove the option from the GUI?
I think it is a good idea to not have this option completely removed. But if it can still be disable through other means (like direct edit of the config file) then I wouldn't mind too much.

Just my two cents.

I'm wondering why you want to remove it in the first place, is it causing issues or confusion?

Just because the NEW flag may currently be more dependable than OAD, it does not mean that will always be the case, and I am not even sure that it is the case for everyone currently.

I've also seen where multiple airings of the same episode of "Sherlock on Masterpiece" (PBS) were marked with the NEW flag on screener.com.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:28 am

I think having it default to on is ok, but think for maximum safety, there should still be a way to undo it.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:47 pm

stuartm wrote:I think having it default to on is ok, but think for maximum safety, there should still be a way to undo it.
This.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

taraba

Post by taraba » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I don't know if it's too late for feature requests or if this has been requested before. I just switched to epg123 this weekend.

I think a find/replace list would be useful. So telling epg123 to replace any shows called "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" with just "The Tonight Show" or "At Midnight With Chris Hardwick" with "@midnight".

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 pm

I can see that being possibly a useful feature. The old MS data used to be terribly inconsistent with naming shows like "Later... with Jools Holland"; random dots and apostrophes or just a partial title. The SD data does seem much better.

I suspect the real answer though is to contact SD to correct the title in the source data. Unless it is a customised override just as a personal preferrence.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:24 am

taraba wrote:I don't know if it's too late for feature requests or if this has been requested before. I just switched to epg123 this weekend.

I think a find/replace list would be useful. So telling epg123 to replace any shows called "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" with just "The Tonight Show" or "At Midnight With Chris Hardwick" with "@midnight".
I wouldn't say too late for feature requests, but in this case I don't think it will be something I would be interested in pursuing. My observations are the same as IT Troll in that past data was hit/miss for titles, but I've never had that problem with the data from Schedules Direct. Everything is based on series IDs, so any episode of a series takes on the same series name.

If I do pursue something like this, it definitely would be appropriate to do within epg123, but would also be possible as a post-processing of the mxf file. I just want to avoid turning epg123 into a lash-up engineering project and it become no longer useful/understandable by the masses.
- Gary