Windows Media Center has stopped working

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 pm

milli260876 wrote:No live or recorded tv? Graphics drivers in my opinion. Get the ones from your motherboard manufacturers site if onboard..
Same with stand alone card from the oems site..
Lee you are the man video error was resolved w/ the reinstall of the orginale graphics driver I can playback recorded TV and have live TV excellent.

the bad news is I had over 700 recorded programs only 300 are available to me though W7MC I see all these programs inside explorer and can playback from explorer would prefer to choose what I watch though W7MC.

Thanks So much STB

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:05 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
milli260876 wrote:No live or recorded tv? Graphics drivers in my opinion. Get the ones from your motherboard manufacturers site if onboard..
Same with stand alone card from the oems site..
Lee you are the man video error was resolved w/ the reinstall of the orginale graphics driver I can playback recorded TV and have live TV excellent.

the bad news is I had over 700 recorded programs only 300 are available to me though W7MC I see all these programs inside explorer and can playback from explorer would prefer to choose what I watch though W7MC.

Thanks So much STB
anyone here can help the bad news that's not resolved?

I see the recorded programs and can playback from explorer would prefer to choose what I watch though W7MC.

when I look at W7MC I have drive X Y F

when I look at explorer I have drive X Y F
Thanks STB

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:11 pm

Didn't you ask this in another thread? Are they DRM'd? If so you need to google resetting PlayReady and preserve recordings
Lee

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 pm

Doesn't sound like DRM to me. I think STB only has OTA. Sounds like the libraries simply have not been set up in WMC since media player does play them all.

bbragg

Post by bbragg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:28 pm

Did you ever get your tuners re-installed ... get past the TV Setup failure?

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:48 pm

no not yet.

still unresolved after reinstalling new TV tuners drivers/reinstalling windows7, cloning the orginale HDD to my C:/ which is a Samsung SSD/ making sure my W7MC storeage drive was correct. a few other things where I tried to delete win media player HDL file couldn't find it.

after about 20 W7MC resetups I gave up and went back to my Magnavox single tuner recorder.

bbragg

Post by bbragg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:34 pm

I was having trouble getting my tuners re-installed (Ceton InfiniTV4) but eventually figured it out. I was getting stopped at the "TV Setup has encounterd a serious problem ... " message when re-doing Live TV Setup. Is that where you're having issues or are you getting past that and having trouble with PlayReady or something else?

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:26 pm

mdavej wrote:Doesn't sound like DRM to me. I think STB only has OTA. Sounds like the libraries simply have not been set up in WMC since media player does play them all.
yes I only have OTA.

I think maybe the librays are setup correctly because the locations names are the same in my PC and W7MC

I attach screen shots of my setup.
Thanks STB
Attachments
SSHDDLOCATIONS OF PC.png
SSHDDLOCATION OF W7MC 2.png
SSHDDLOCATION OF W7MC.png

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:50 pm

I was able to rename the W7MC storage drive changed to S

this wasn't the solution.

still getting the video files not installed or working correctly restart error message.

anyone here w/ a suggestion

Thanks STB

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:22 pm

The main problem is you rebuilt the system and you have no less than 5 drives you have recordings on. Who knows how it was originally or what all the permissions are or the DRM. Your only hope at this point is to start completely from scratch or restore from an earlier working image.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Dave are you suggesting to reinstall the OS again.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:49 pm

W7MC none functional after OS reinstall
Heres my observations w/ one haugpage1800 tuner.

Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working properly. Restart WMC or restart the computer.

The landscapes sample video won’t play w/ W7MC but will w/ windows media player.

I can schedule a recording it actually records TV but can’t playback also can’t playback any previous to OS reinstall recordings.

I can watch all recorded TV from windows media player.

windows media player has no fast forward or reverse.

can’t watch live TV

when I configure speakers in W7MC I don’t have a option for HDMI I only have 2/5.1/7.1 I set it to 5.1

in windows sound scheme is set to default/speaker setup is stereo
speaker properties jack information is HDMI Digital jack.

when I test my speakers in W7MC I only hear the CC then right front then CC a couple more times,

when I test the speakers in windows I hear left and right (left is substanshilley lower in volume.

I can copy recordings from w7mc htpc and they play fine on my w7mc laptop.

Heres my attemps
turn off media center NAV sounds and set your speakers in windows to stereo

I did uninstall and reinstall WMC and still no luck

I relabled windows storage drive from z to s then changed w7mc storage drive to s. still nada.

Control panel/sound/change sys. Sounds/playback tab/speakers
I read HD Audio device not plugged in
It’s properties LR Rear panel 3.5 jack and LR front panel 3.5 jack are highlighted. Device usage is enabled.

[Moderator note: topic merged]

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working properly. Restart WMC or restart the computer.
The only time I ever saw this error on one of my systems it was a disk cabling issue. i.e. the cable was not securely connected to my recording drive.
Why it spewed this particular error in that situation was a mystery to me. I would suggest rechecking/re-cabling all disk drives and trying different disk ports on the motherboard. Maybe one is going bad. Or a drive could be in early failure. I suspect slow or erratic response from a drive that can still be accessed may also cause the issue.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:53 pm

stevethebrain wrote:Dave are you suggesting to reinstall the OS again.
Try Stuart's suggestion. This kind of error is really hard to pin down. If I were you, I'd just get a Tivo at this point. I switched a few years ago, and all my PC issues went away.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:51 am

mdavej wrote:
stevethebrain wrote:Dave are you suggesting to reinstall the OS again.
Try Stuart's suggestion. This kind of error is really hard to pin down. If I were you, I'd just get a Tivo at this point. I switched a few years ago, and all my PC issues went away.
I can confirm, getting rid of your PC will make all your PC issues go away. :wave:

TiVo issues on the other hand...

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:00 pm

stuartm wrote:
stevethebrain wrote:
The only time I ever saw this error on one of my systems it was a disk cabling issue. i.e. the cable was not securely connected to my recording drive.
Why it spewed this particular error in that situation was a mystery to me. I would suggest rechecking/re-cabling all disk drives and trying different disk ports on the motherboard. Maybe one is going bad. Or a drive could be in early failure. I suspect slow or erratic response from a drive that can still be accessed may also cause the issue.
I will try you'r advice about the loose cableing seams like a long shot since all the recordings play fine on windows media player.

luckiely I still have the Magnavox DVR (just one tuner) it has been error free for many years dam I just jinked my DVR.

since I am getting anti techonogoly what Tivo should I get remember I don't have or want cable TV just free antenna for me right now.

I actually attemped to install Kodie unsucsesfulley if I continue to attempt to install Kodie will it be anything like a working W7MC? Kodies error GUI won't install then TV turns black requires the PC to be reset.
next error was can't install app. then to black.

here's my lastest attempt at resolveing W7MC Where is details pane?

I would suggest you to try the following steps and see if it helps.
1. Click Start,
2. Type “run” in the Start Search box, and then
3. Click Run in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
4. In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome
5. Click OK.
Where is details pane?
6. In the details pane, right-click “mediacenterdatastore.db”, and then
7. Click Delete.
8. Click yes to confirm that you want to move the "Mediacenterdatastore.db" file to the Recycle Bin.
9. Start Windows Media Center
Doing this will rebuild the mediacenterdadastore.db file for Windows Media Center.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 pm

stevethebrain wrote:since I am getting anti techonogoly what Tivo should I get remember I don't have or want cable TV just free antenna for me right now.
I recommend Roamio OTA with lifetime service ($200-$300) or Channel Master DVR+ ($200). The Tivo has 4 tuners, and the Channel Master has 2. Neither have any monthly fee.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:28 pm

I believe my PC error is the display.

the highest res. I can set it to is 1280x1024 then PC reverts down to 1024x768.

I believe W7MC requires 1920x1080 res. And WMP kindof works (hence no fast forward/reverse)
At lower res.

How to update Intel graphics driver for Acer aspire m3910

Like can I DL to my Lap top then move to HTPC.

STB

[Moderator note: topic merged - stop creating new threads]
Attachments
graphics2.png
graphics1.png

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:57 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
I would suggest you to try the following steps and see if it helps.
1. Click Start,
2. Type “run” in the Start Search box, and then
3. Click Run in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
4. In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome
5. Click OK.
Where is details pane?
6. In the details pane, right-click “mediacenterdatastore.db”, and then
7. Click Delete.
8. Click yes to confirm that you want to move the "Mediacenterdatastore.db" file to the Recycle Bin.
9. Start Windows Media Center
Doing this will rebuild the mediacenterdadastore.db file for Windows Media Center.
Instead of deleting the file, Right click on it, go to Properties, then look over "previous versions". select the one with the date that was before the issue started. Then reboot.

This normally saves people from needing to rebuild WMC, of course if you leave system restore on and don't disable it.

stevethebrain wrote:I believe my PC error is the display.

the highest res. I can set it to is 1280x1024 then PC reverts down to 1024x768.

I believe W7MC requires 1920x1080 res. And WMP kindof works (hence no fast forward/reverse)
At lower res.

How to update Intel graphics driver for Acer aspire m3910

Like can I DL to my Lap top then move to HTPC.

STB

[Moderator note: topic merged - stop creating new threads]
Media Center does not require a 1080p TV, it will run a 640 X 480 (VGA) if you wanted it to. I am pretty sure you could even set it lower than that if needed. If you set your monitor up to 1280 X 1084 then you need to go into WMC and set it up for that as well. WMC will default to the res you set it up with. So you need to setup your Monitor AND set WMC for the type of TV/PC monitor your using.
stevethebrain wrote: How to update Intel graphics driver for Acer aspire m3910
I would start by going to Acer's website and if that is not a help, then find out what type of video card it is (Device manager will normally tell you enough info) and google/bing it. )

If you are having video issues, maybe a upgrade to a mid to lower end card (of today) will help with those issues.. You can get a video card that will do HDMI and do 1080p with out a sweat for under $50, even less than that if you look around and don't mind used.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012