Introducing EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:58 am

You could always go Commando and not use any AV on your HTPC rig :shock:
#herewegoagain
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:19 pm

STC wrote:You could always go Commando and not use any AV on your HTPC rig :shock:
#herewegoagain
But then there would be nothing to interfere with EPG123 and disrupt our guide updates. Where is the fun in that? :crazy:
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

dafunk60

Post by dafunk60 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:51 am

I've been using & loving epg123 for a couple of months. About 2 weeks ago, after installing some windows updates, I'd find a guide with no data available & sometimes a message stating "a problem with the guide data has been corrected..." Running the epg123client import resolves the empty guide problem. I have 3 win7 x64 media center PC's, one never has the issue, another has the issue about every other day, the third has only had the issue once. All have essentially the same software & config and are running epg123 v1.0.2.

I think this is similar to what some other users have reported recently.

When troubleshooting the problem I noticed there are a couple of mcupdate tasks in the task scheduler that have been running. A couple times I noticed one of these tasks was running when a guide error occurred. I've also noticed that the WMC tray icon is active from time to time. The tray icon doesn't show it downloading anything as it did when using the built in epg provider but it does appear to go from an active to inactive state. I suspect that these mcupdate tasks may be interfering with epg123.

I'm curious if anyone knows what function these mcupdate tasks perform, aside from downloading epg data. Can they be disabled without breaking any other wmc functions?

I have disabled the epg update in the WMC settings (Settings > General > Automatic Download Options) & the WMC guide provider screen (Settings > TV > Guide > About Guide Listings) only shows my 1 epg123 lineup.

Bizzy G.L.X.

Post by Bizzy G.L.X. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

1st, just wanted to give garyan2 mad props for putting together EPG-123...I just put a little something in his tip jar this morning via PayPal : - )

Anyways, I just recently rebuilt my HTPC.

I had EPG-123 running on my previous HTPC build for about 10 months with no issues.

On the new build, I think I might have missed something when installing EPG-123 v1.0.2.

1st Question:

I can't remember if I made the registry changes within my last build, the one's that are referred to in the Software section near the top of the EPG-123 Guide.

Do I need to make those changes manually, or does that happen as part of the execution of EPG-123?

2nd Question/Issue:

I ran thru the configuration of EPG-123, using the Safe Boot --> Clean Start method.

Everything seemed to work okay, I didn't see any error messages or such.

I just used one LineUp tab, and selected All.

When I completed the configuration/execution of EPG-123, I launched WMC.

Unfortunately, the guide data was totally empty.

I'm thinking I'm missing something, hopefully those aforementioned Registry keys?

Here's my EPG-123 Trace Log:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqEIUVx7Kl4L3NsxIj89C0a_NNDKuQ

When I get back home tonight, I'm going to try another run of EPG-123...Thanks!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:36 pm

^it's called EPG123 not EPG-123 ;)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Newest EPG123 releases do the Registry changes for you, so you shouldn't have to. Doing them beforehand doesn't hurt.
From the looks of your logs, you've forgotten to set "Automatch" option in the GUI, so you have no enabled channels.
-Alan

Bizzy G.L.X.

Post by Bizzy G.L.X. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 pm

webminster wrote:Newest EPG123 releases do the Registry changes for you, so you shouldn't have to. Doing them beforehand doesn't hurt.
From the looks of your logs, you've forgotten to set "Automatch" option in the GUI, so you have no enabled channels.
Gotcha, thx webminster! I'll ensure I have Automatch enabled when I re-run EPG-123 tonite.

Also, thx for the heads up on the registry changes, I'll check those out also after the initial re-run.

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm

dafunk60 wrote:I've been using & loving epg123 for a couple of months. About 2 weeks ago, after installing some windows updates, I'd find a guide with no data available & sometimes a message stating "a problem with the guide data has been corrected..." Running the epg123client import resolves the empty guide problem. I have 3 win7 x64 media center PC's, one never has the issue, another has the issue about every other day, the third has only had the issue once. All have essentially the same software & config and are running epg123 v1.0.2.

I think this is similar to what some other users have reported recently.

When troubleshooting the problem I noticed there are a couple of mcupdate tasks in the task scheduler that have been running. A couple times I noticed one of these tasks was running when a guide error occurred. I've also noticed that the WMC tray icon is active from time to time. The tray icon doesn't show it downloading anything as it did when using the built in epg provider but it does appear to go from an active to inactive state. I suspect that these mcupdate tasks may be interfering with epg123.

I'm curious if anyone knows what function these mcupdate tasks perform, aside from downloading epg data. Can they be disabled without breaking any other WMC functions?

I have disabled the epg update in the WMC settings (Settings > General > Automatic Download Options) & the WMC guide provider screen (Settings > TV > Guide > About Guide Listings) only shows my 1 epg123 lineup.
I am having a similar issue. I've been using EPG123 since the beginning with no problems at all. Recently, if I exit WMC to do something on my computer (maintenance, software adjustments, etc.), when I restart WMC, I get the "We are correcting a problem with your guide data" message and all guide data is gone.

This only happens when I manually exit WMC and then later re-start it. I am thinking that something is corrupted in a database somewhere and WMC is trying to fix it by clearing the EPG and getting fresh data (which it can't do), so I get a blank guide.

Have you tried a complete fresh start in WMC/EPG123? I haven't yet, but may do it soon. So far, I've just been re-running EPG13 and it restores everything but my favorite guide lists (which I then manually setup again).

Bizzy G.L.X.

Post by Bizzy G.L.X. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Scallica wrote:^it's called EPG123 not EPG-123 ;)
My bad!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:05 am

Bizzy G.L.X. wrote:
My bad!
:lol: Don't even worry about it. I named it, and even I can't help but sing it in my head to the Jackson 5 "ABC, Easy as 1-2-3" song.

Now that I'm sure the song is stuck in your head ... you're welcome. :P
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Bizzy G.L.X.

Post by Bizzy G.L.X. » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Bizzy G.L.X. wrote:
webminster wrote:Newest EPG123 releases do the Registry changes for you, so you shouldn't have to. Doing them beforehand doesn't hurt.
Gotcha, thx webminster! I'll ensure I have Automatch enabled when I re-run EPG-123 tonite.

Also, thx for the heads up on the registry changes, I'll check those out also after the initial re-run.
Thx again for the heads up on the Automatch checkbox. Once I re-executed EPG123, with that checked, everything's working like a champ.

Also I visually verified the Registry Keys after the initial execution and they where all present and accounted for.

Bizzy G.L.X.

Post by Bizzy G.L.X. » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:57 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Bizzy G.L.X. wrote:
My bad!
:lol: Don't even worry about it. I named it, and even I can't help but sing it in my head to the Jackson 5 "ABC, Easy as 1-2-3" song.

Now that I'm sure the song is stuck in your head ... you're welcome. :P
Dude, you should rename it "WMC Guide Lifesaver", cause it truly is!

Thx for the time and effort you put into coding it and keeping it updated, along with all of the support.

bryanh99

Post by bryanh99 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:17 pm

(delete dup post - sorry)
Last edited by bryanh99 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bryanh99

Post by bryanh99 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:17 pm

All,

I hve been using EPG123 with SD for about a month now. TOday I noticed that some of my shows didn't record. I loaded up EPG123 and found an interesting problem. After logging in it loads my one and only lineup (zip code 30319 - Comcast Atlanta Digital). The problem is that over 100 channels are missing in the list box. The load stops at 447 and then jumps to 808. There are channels for the rest of the 400 (447-499) as well as 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, and 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807. I logged into Zap2it and all those channels are there. I also logged directly into SD's site and did a report for my lineup and all the channels are there as well.

I have deleted the entire EPG123 directory and recreated it all again, but this problem still exits.

Any ideas? (the 700 range is all my premium HD channels, and the lower 800 are other HD channels so this is a very big problem for me)

Thank you
Bryan

bryanh99

Post by bryanh99 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:32 pm

OK - I "solved" the problem by deleting my lineup and selecting a totally different one, then deleting that and re-adding my original one (just removing the original and putting it back did not fix it). Any idea on how this happened and how to stop it in the future?

Bryan

bryanh99 wrote:All,

I hve been using EPG123 with SD for about a month now. TOday I noticed that some of my shows didn't record. I loaded up EPG123 and found an interesting problem. After logging in it loads my one and only lineup (zip code 30319 - Comcast Atlanta Digital). The problem is that over 100 channels are missing in the list box. The load stops at 447 and then jumps to 808. There are channels for the rest of the 400 (447-499) as well as 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, and 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807. I logged into Zap2it and all those channels are there. I also logged directly into SD's site and did a report for my lineup and all the channels are there as well.

I have deleted the entire EPG123 directory and recreated it all again, but this problem still exits.

Any ideas? (the 700 range is all my premium HD channels, and the lower 800 are other HD channels so this is a very big problem for me)

Thank you
Bryan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:28 am

bryanh99 wrote:OK - I "solved" the problem by deleting my lineup and selecting a totally different one, then deleting that and re-adding my original one (just removing the original and putting it back did not fix it). Any idea on how this happened and how to stop it in the future?

Bryan

bryanh99 wrote:All,

Thank you
Bryan
Just want to comment here. Schedules Direct had to do some database rebuilds which is why you were missing some channels. I don't know if the database rebuilds were needed due to what you saw, or you were unlucky enough to try and update WMC while the rebuild was taking place.

Either way, just want to let everyone know that changing your lineup will not change anything, or all of a sudden make channels appear. Your results appear to be all about timing and Schedules Direct maintenance.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When this happens and channels disappear from the lineup, and automatch is true, then those missing channels guide listings will be removed from WMC. Because of this, my suggestion is to leave automatch off (false) so that when it does happen, everything stays in your guide. It would be quite possible you wouldn't even notice anything happened at all.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:48 pm

looks like my lineup did the same thing.

my Chanel lineup is fine in the epg123 GUI, but 80% of the stations dont show up in the WMC guide.

turning off automatch didnt help.

thoughts?

edit: nm, there was a filter turned on in the guide search. No idea how that happened.

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:54 am

Just a quick thanks to Gary! :clap:

I wiped out my Media Center about 6 hours ago (collosus solution) and I used the docs and more/less followed them. I got Media Center working on the very first shot with guide data and all set up with EPG - on my first pass.

I think this is the first time I've ever gotten Media Center to work on the first attempt ever on the Collosus. Nicely done! You helped make what could have been the usual night of cursing and hair pulling and turned it into just a night of protracted work. :thumbup:

chupon

Post by chupon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:50 am

Not sure if this is epg123, hd home run prime, WMC, or comcast.

Today I started having issues with several channels that worked just fine in recent days. Some don't tune to anything and WMC says there's no TV signal. Some are gray background with just some generic music. It's like the channel lineup changed?

Talking to Comcast is useless, they know nothing. tuning on the hd home run prime view app doesn't give anything different so I don't think it's WMC.

Could epg123 cause this behavior?

chupon

Post by chupon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:59 am

disregard above, comcast reporting an outage in my area. Hopefully that gets resolved and my problem goes away.