Apple TV for use as a front end

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
gary94080

HTPC Specs: Show details

Apple TV for use as a front end

Post by gary94080 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:38 pm

so I got an Apple TV to try out on the chance that Channels DVR will be a viable product. sad news that they hit a roadblock on DRM, but I'm still hoping that the dvr will become a reality.

I was surprised by how limited the functionality there was out of the box. you have to find an app for almost everything you want to do.

I like Channels TV, but I rarely watch live TV. the rewind function is nice when I do.

I got Plex, but haven't tried it out yet because it doesn't work with the NAS that I have.

I found out something interesting with the Infuse Pro app. you can use it to watch WMC recordings in-progress. it won't play some WTV files but I haven't figured out why. none of them were protected recordings.

Infuse Pro won't play WMV files even though it is listed as supported.

I got OneVideo for music and picture files.

most of the major networks and cable channels have apps and on-demand. this can supplement a dvr but not replace it since you have to watch the commercials. I don't know if it was intentional or not but one quirk I noticed is that BBC America will frequently run the same commercial several times in a row in the same break and repeat it it for the next break.

I'm not a fan of the Apple TV remote. it is difficult to tell which end is up in the dark.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:42 pm

just a note. the mods added DVR to the title.

the Apple TV is the front end, not the DVR. the DVR will be on a NAS or computer. I'm waiting for the NAS, I don't want to buy a MAC.

I'm checking this out for the time that WMC finally goes belly up.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:21 am

Channels just announced that their Channels DVR Beta will be available the second week of January