My Media Center no longer available in Windows Phone Store

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
RudeJoe

HTPC Specs: Show details

My Media Center no longer available in Windows Phone Store

Post by RudeJoe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:20 am

After resetting my Windows Phone I could not reinstall MMC because it is no longer available in the Windows Phone Store. Does anyone anyone know what happened to it, or how to get the app?

ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:06 pm

me as well - the windows 'modern app' 'uwp' or whatever you want to call it has also been unlisted. I sent a request to ceton via the contact me link on their webpage.
if we can get the xap file we can sideload it on windows mobile 10...

Very disappointed and discouraged right now - four perfectly functioning apps that I (used to) use all the time are no longer available. I have been contacted by the maker of one of them (my wireless thermostat app) - hopefully I will get a response from ceton as well.. perhaps you could contact them as well?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:14 am

App store removal usually occurs when the publisher does not pay the required annual fee.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

swinn

Post by swinn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Here's the response I got back (which is BS)...

"Windows Media Center is not supported in Windows 10. There for an app for WMC is not available in the Windows 10 store.

Sorry for inconvenence.

-- Ceton Support"

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:56 pm

swinn wrote:Here's the response I got back (which is BS)...

"Windows Media Center is not supported in Windows 10. There for an app for WMC is not available in the Windows 10 store.

Sorry for inconvenence.

-- Ceton Support"
Translation: We don't want to pay fees to Microsoft anymore.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:34 pm

utter BS I still have a windows 8 tablet and a windows 8 phone - the app isn't available in the store for them either (anymore). and the app works fine on win 10, and win 10 mobile. how crappy of them. As I mentioned I contacted several app makers about unpublished apps and one (a thermostat app) had the app re-published. I can't imagine that it cost him anything to do so or he would have sent me the xap file to sideload it...

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 pm

ThePaladinTech wrote:utter BS I still have a windows 8 tablet and a windows 8 phone - the app isn't available in the store for them either (anymore). and the app works fine on win 10, and win 10 mobile. how crappy of them. As I mentioned I contacted several app makers about unpublished apps and one (a thermostat app) had the app re-published. I can't imagine that it cost him anything to do so or he would have sent me the xap file to sideload it...
I would say we should press for the release of the xap file so we can sideload the app... As much as I like Ceton it is sketchy that I paid for their app on windows but can't download it.

On that front, I currently have the fully installed app on 2 Win 10 machines. I've ripped out the my media center app program files from their install location but I'm unsure how much good that is going to do?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:41 pm

That's a shame, I really like(d) the Windows implementation. I have the app installed on a first gen RT tablet; it's one of the things that keeps the tablet useful. :eh:

ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes, I've still got the app installed on:
2 win RT devices
2 windows 10 PCs
2 Win 8.1 phones
1 Windows 10 phone

Don't know how we can manage to get them to give us the XAP file. it's pretty crummy of them if you ask me... Like I said a an app I use that was made by a 1 man company reinstated the app. I find it hard to believe that it was removed due to a cost to renew the app, if that were the case there are all kinds of abandoned apps that should disappear due to non-payment. ...

No, from what I understand from my thermostat app 'friend' - he asked for it to be removed as he no longer used windows phone.

So what? Ceton (A COMPANY) is acting like cry babies because MS pulled WMC from the latest windows? I PAID for the app (several times) I should be able to get the app. :evil:

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:24 pm

ThePaladinTech wrote:Yes, I've still got the app installed on:
2 win RT devices
2 windows 10 PCs
2 Win 8.1 phones
1 Windows 10 phone

Don't know how we can manage to get them to give us the XAP file. it's pretty crummy of them if you ask me... Like I said a an app I use that was made by a 1 man company reinstated the app. I find it hard to believe that it was removed due to a cost to renew the app, if that were the case there are all kinds of abandoned apps that should disappear due to non-payment. ...

No, from what I understand from my thermostat app 'friend' - he asked for it to be removed as he no longer used windows phone.

So what? Ceton (A COMPANY) is acting like cry babies because MS pulled WMC from the latest windows? I PAID for the app (several times) I should be able to get the app. :evil:
I totally agree with you.

Ceton: "We're basically broke and don't want to support our software anymore."

Microsoft: "You don't need media center or an app that controls it anymore."

jamesquintin

Post by jamesquintin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:58 pm

So what are the alternatives...?

If MS has relased a dual HD tuner for the Xbox One with DVR, I would have jumped on it! My Media Center is running perfectly off the Xbox 360, I just need to be able to schedule recordings remotely...

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:40 pm

jamesquintin wrote:So what are the alternatives...?

If MS has relased a dual HD tuner for the Xbox One with DVR, I would have jumped on it! My Media Center is running perfectly off the Xbox 360, I just need to be able to schedule recordings remotely...
You could use TeamViewer (free), or other remote desktop applications. You can even use TeamViewer on your phone. It's not as easy and convenient as MMC, but doable.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:39 pm

I was going to suggest remote desktop as well but it is a pain in the ass and you need to add a user to log on.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:14 am

jamesquintin wrote:So what are the alternatives...?

It isn't as pretty as My Media Center and I've never used it but it sounds like RemotePotato should do the same thing for remote scheduling ect.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Sharks wrote:It isn't as pretty as My Media Center and I've never used it but it sounds like RemotePotato should do the same thing for remote scheduling ect.
Yes, indeed. I have RemotePotato installed and it still does the job. You'll probably want to use the HTML interface (not silverlight) which is basic, but let's you do remote scheduling. And as a web server on your HTPC it won't ever disappear from the App store.

KevinRush

Post by KevinRush » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:06 pm

The cost of My Media Center was so very little, that I'm sure it didn't begin to pay the costs involved. That said, I would certainly pay an annual fee to support the survival of My Media Center.

RudeJoe

Post by RudeJoe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm now using Remote Potato server with the Media Buddy app on my Windows 10 Phone. This setup works just as well as MMC for me andI no longer miss MMC. Thanks to those who suggested it, and everyone else that has contributed to this thread.

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:48 pm

RudeJoe wrote:I'm now using Remote Potato server with the Media Buddy app on my Windows 10 Phone. This setup works just as well as MMC for me andI no longer miss MMC. Thanks to those who suggested it, and everyone else that has contributed to this thread.
Perhaps you might include the steps you performed to configure your Windows Media Center to work with Remote Potato and then the same for Media Buddy with Remote Potato. Thanks. (It's good to know there are alternatives to Ceton's My Media Center available.)

SlantNGo

Post by SlantNGo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:11 am

Thanks to all for this thread! It's really annoying to pay for an app then have it pulled from the store, especially when it's still advertised on Ceton's website.

I'm getting almost the same functionality after getting Remote Potato set up. The one thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to force it to record on HD channels from the search function. When I try to record a program from the search function, it always records the SD channel, and the HD one doesn't even show up in the search results despite being in the guide. Anyone else run into this?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Check in your app history, if it was paid for, it will be in your history. See if you can manually install it.

Apps that have been pulled from the store can normally be installed this way. Just because they are not available to the public but, if you own the app, you should be able to still download it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012