Strange freezing issue on some channels

mskenny

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange freezing issue on some channels

Post by mskenny » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:36 am

I just replaced my old Dell XPS 420 (which originally came bundled with the old AMD cable tuners) with a new Dell Core i5 machine with Intel 530 graphics, running Windows 7 Pro. I'd been having many issues with WMC and it was time. The issue I'm going to describe happened on that old computer and is surprisingly still happening on the new one. I have a Ceton 4 tuner PCI card, which I moved to the new machine, and a Silicondust HD HomeRun Prime as my TV sources. I also have an old HD HomeRun tuning in Clear QAM signals.

On some channels, mostly premium movie channels but also on the local ABC affiliates, the picture freezes momentarily, then resumes briefly, while the audio plays normally. The screen flashes the entire time. (I've also seen the flashing on at least one other channel which wasn't freezing.) This cycle repeats itself every 3 or 4 seconds, over and over. This happens with live TV and also with recordings of these channels. The problem happens whether the source is the Ceton or the Silicondust Prime or HD tuners.

This issue is limited to watching TV on this computer only. I also have a Ceton Echo and the same channels that exhibit the freezing play fine on the Echo, either live or from a recording. I've noticed that it may be content related; I record the 11 pm news on the local ABC affiliate and I see the freezing behavior for the last few minutes of the network broadcast and then as soon as the local broadcast starts, the freezing stops. I get two local ABC channels here on Verizon FIOS in the Boston area, WCVB and WMUR (NH) and the issue occurs on both of those stations, from any of the sources. I have a Windows 8.1 computer configured to use the Silicondust Prime as a source and it can tune the same channels without issue.

I've tried updating the graphics driver and have removed whatever other software I could. I'm stumped on what else could be the cause. I could add a graphics card but I'm not sure that would help. Here are the machine's specs:

Intel Core i5-6400 Processor 2.7GHz
• Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
• 8GB DDR3L-1600 RAM
• 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
• Intel HD 530

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

Melissa

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:00 am

This sounds like it may be the problem with Intel GPUs and their inability to play MPEG-4 protected content. Check if the problems are happening in that situation (H.264 and copy protection) Although AIUI h.264 protected content won't play on Echos either so if it works on the Echo it may not be that problem...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:23 am

When the video is running and studdering... On the remote press 4-1-1 and Info button, a menu should come up and give detail about the video and what type of video it is. Try other videos, compare, If it is JUST h.264 videos that is giving you a problem and ONLY h.264 videos (as stuartm said), I have also heard issues with INTEL video with problems with h264 videos.

You could find yourself a fairly cheap NVIDIA card and do a test.

Might be worth a test if you can. The system spec wise seems fine, WMC was designed around single core CPUS back in 2009, so running it on a modern mid line CPU should make it scream. TO me, it's a codec, driver or hardware issue at least that is what it sounds like. Personally I would try a 3rd party video card and see where it goes. Stick with NVIDIA cards would be my suggestion.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:36 am

DavidinCT wrote:When the video is running and studdering... On the remote press 4-1-1 and Info button, a menu should come up and give detail about the video and what type of video it is. Try other videos, compare, If it is JUST h.264 videos that is giving you a problem and ONLY h.264 videos (as stuartm said), I have also heard issues with INTEL video with problems with h264 videos.

Might be worth a test if you can. The system spec wise seems fine, WMC was designed around single core CPUS back in 2009, so running it on a modern mid line CPU should make it scream. TO me, it's a codec, driver or hardware issue at least that is what it sounds like. Personally I would try a 3rd party video card and see where it goes. Stick with NVIDIA cards would be my suggestion.
The video codec shows as MPEG2. I assume this is what you mean. The problem happens on both copy-protected and non-protected channels.

I guess I'll try a video card to see what happens. Thanks.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:12 pm

mskenny wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:When the video is running and studdering... On the remote press 4-1-1 and Info button, a menu should come up and give detail about the video and what type of video it is. Try other videos, compare, If it is JUST h.264 videos that is giving you a problem and ONLY h.264 videos (as stuartm said), I have also heard issues with INTEL video with problems with h264 videos.

The video codec shows as MPEG2. I assume this is what you mean. The problem happens on both copy-protected and non-protected channels.

I guess I'll try a video card to see what happens. Thanks.
Reply and let us know how it works out....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I had a chance to put in a video card today (an Nvidia GT730 2Gb GDDR5) and this did indeed fix the problem. It's surprising to me that the built-in Intel video failed in this way. I had thought of getting a NUC unit for my bedroom but I don't trust that idea now. Thanks for your advice.