EPG123 - Disappearing Channels Issue

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
CWguyFL

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 - Disappearing Channels Issue

Post by CWguyFL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 am

EPG123 has been working fine since I started using it several days ago (version 1.0.1).

Today a large block of channels have disappeared from my JSON lineup. The missing channels are present in the same "legacy" lineup at Schedules Direct, so this appears to be a problem with the Schedules Direct JSON service.

I'm not sure if I need to contact Schedules Direct about this?

As you can see in this screenshot (sorted by channel number), all channels between 164 and 1286 are missing from the JSON listing. Screenshot link: http://cwguyfl.d.pr/17xo8

This caused the channels to be unmatched and thus all those channels are now missing from the guide in WMC.

The other things that happened in the meantime which may have some possible bearing on the disappearance of the channels is that my 4:30am scheduled EPG123 update hit some errors with version 1.0.1. Log info all looked fine until this (note that the 35 services is suspect, the previous day there were 153 services in the mxf file, so the missing channels may have already disappeared from the JSON lineup):

Code: Select all

9/29/2016 4:30:49 AM] [STATS] Generated .mxf file contains 35 services, 884 series, 7375 programs, and 22519 people with 2150 image links.
[9/29/2016 4:30:49 AM] ====================== Beginning epg123 client execution. =====================
[9/29/2016 4:30:49 AM] [ INFO] Import=True , Match=True , NoLogo=False
[9/29/2016 4:30:49 AM] [ INFO] import filename = epg123.mxf
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR] Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at MediaCenter.Store.OleDB.StoredObjectsEnumerator.MoveNext()
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at MediaCenter.Store.OleDB.StoredObjectsRecord.Fetch(Int64 id, StoredObjectKey key)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.StoredObjects.get_Item(StoredObjectKey key)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.StoredObjects`1.get_Item(StoredObjectKey key)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.InitializeProvider(ObjectStore store, String providerName, String password, Assembly callingAssembly)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(String fileName, String providerName, String password, Assembly callingAssembly, Boolean isCollecting)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(String fileName, String providerName, String password, Boolean isAdminRequested)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.AddObjectStoreReference()
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.get_DefaultSingleton()
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Pvr.FullRescheduleWorker.ThreadSetup()
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Pvr.SignaledWorker.ThreadProcess()
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR]    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR] Error using loadmxf.exe to import new guide information. Exit code: -1073741819
[9/29/2016 5:22:19 AM] [ERROR] Failed to import .mxf file. Exiting.
I noticed this and that the 1.0.2 update was available, so I updated to version 1.0.2.

Version 1.0.2 ran fine except it unmatched all the channels which are missing from my JSON lineup.

I'll put in a request to Schedules Direct to check my JSON lineup, but also wanted to post this here.

eclas

Post by eclas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 am

I am missing a bunch of channels today also. SD has them all when you add the same tier to them and view them on the website.
I used epg123 to fetch the neighboring county's list which is pretty much the same listings and that one worked but this is only a temp fix.
What might be the problem?

CWguyFL

Post by CWguyFL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:52 am

OK - my missing channels situation was a Schedules Direct problem and they've already fixed it.

eclas

Post by eclas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:22 pm

I have 2 different systems doing the same thing now. epg123 deletes all the channels for some reason.
The channels are listed in epg123 listings and I have the ones I want to use checked but when it runs it acts as tho they are all unselected.

HELP please!!

eclas

Post by eclas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:26 pm

ok, I am getting this error in the trace log...
[9/29/2016 9:21:34 AM] [ERROR] Exception thrown from getLineup() to locate lineup with name "EPG123 Lineups with Schedules Direct". message: Could not load file or assembly 'mcepg, Version=6.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas on why it can't find the file?

I even tried the epg123client to import the mxf file and still did not show up in wmc.
I executed the client from within the same folder as the mxf file.

eclas

Post by eclas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks. I was using the win8 on a win7 machine.
The other problem I am having on all my systems (3) is that the brighthouse sumter county stations do not download all the channels.
When I execute it many channels are missing. I am using the lake county download right now because the channels are very similar.
I have tried a bunch of things including contacting SD. SD checked for one of the channels that was missing and he said it was showing up on their server where epg123 should be getting it but it is not.
All the stations show up if u add it at their web site but within epg123 interface they are missing.
Any ideas on that and thanks for all your work!
garyan2 wrote:
eclas wrote:I am having problems on one machine and the trace log shows this...
[9/29/2016 9:21:34 AM] [ERROR] Exception thrown from getLineup() to locate lineup with name "EPG123 Lineups with Schedules Direct". message: Could not load file or assembly 'mcepg, Version=6.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

any ideas on why it is no longer seeing the file?
This error could mean 2 things. Either the import was unsuccessful and the epg123 lineup is not present in the database file, or you are trying to run the Win8 version and a Win7 machine, or the Win7 version on a Win8+ machine.

DJConan

Post by DJConan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:14 am

I am having the same problem. Just noticed all but about 4 channels have disappeared from WMC Guide including the channel names. They are all still checked in EPG123.

Edit: I just logged into my SD account and noticed that my lineup was deleted. No idea why it was deleted, but after adding it again and running EPG123, it seems to be okay.
Last edited by DJConan on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJConan

Post by DJConan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 am

I am having the same problem. Just noticed all but about 4 channels have disappeared from WMC Guide including the channel names. They are all still checked in EPG123.

java007md

Post by java007md » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:16 am

Had the same issue with most channels disappearing. Resolved by closing WMC, running epg123 and doing a save/execute. Started WMC up again and all appears fine again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:21 am

If looks like we're getting some glitches from the SD servers ... a lot of folks lineups are dropping channels. If epg123 performs an update at that time, then those channels will drop out of the guide. If you open the GUI and notice all the channels are there, do a save & execute.

'Til things calm down, I recommend disabling the automatch feature... at least this way if the stations drop off, it will only mean you didn't update those channels. They'll still be in the guide.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DJConan

Post by DJConan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:33 am

I just logged into my SD account and noticed that my lineup was deleted. No idea why it was deleted, but after adding it again and running EPG123, it seems to be okay.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:34 am

Do you use Schedules Direct anywhere else?
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:46 am

Is anyone currently experiencing this problem of disappearing channels? If so, send me your zipcode and lineup so I can try and capture the JSON response and see what is going on.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:27 am

I don't know. I haven't looked at anything in my system and I usually do each morning but it has been so rock solid that I haven't bothered for a while. I'll look tonight. I hope all is well or WAF will drop considerably. If they're missing from the line up what's the remedy? Usually when this happens I have to restore my custom line up using GuideTool and then delete the duplicate channels. This is a minor pain but not a huge deal breaker for me, it's just the missed recordings and such that have my wife all over my arse!
Last edited by Sammy2 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:30 am

I'd recommend disabling the automatch feature. With automatch enabled, it will automatically remove any stations that have disappeared from the lineup.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:33 am

If the issues with the JSON server started before midnight last night I'm already effected. If not, I will make sure automatch is un ticked before tonight's run.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:52 am

The scheduled run at 4:30 this morning got rid of over 600 channels. It's downloading from SD again now, they seem to be back. FIOS lineup for zip 11566.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:07 am

It appears FIOS is getting hit hard with this, but I think others are getting affected as well.
- Gary

OwenW

Post by OwenW » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:15 am

garyan2 wrote:Is anyone currently experiencing this problem of disappearing channels? If so, send me your zipcode and lineup so I can try and capture the JSON response and see what is going on.
Happened to me this morning (29 Sep). Lineup #1 is ZIP 21093 for Verizon FiOS; Lineup #2 is 21045 for OTA. (I don't actually have OTA tuners. FiOS still supports ClearQAM for local channels. I have one Silicondust HD Homerun with CableCARD and one HDHR which relies on ClearQAM. ZIP 21045 OTA lineup provides channels which match the FiOS ClearQAM channels in my area.) Three or 4 channels were still showing, mostly PBS stations I believe.

Just running EPG123 again did not help nor did deleting the \EPG123 folder completely and reinstalling it (without re-setting up WMC), but I think I finally managed to fix this:

1. Followed the EPG123 [Rebuild Database] instructions, which restored the guide data to WMC but did not restore my scheduled series recordings. Interestingly, all the series were still present, but no recordings were actually scheduled.
2. In WMC: [Recorded TV] | [View Scheduled] | [Series] to get the list of series scheduled to record. For each series shown: selected it, selected to change settings, then simply saved without actually changing anything. This restored the recording series schedule.

Unfortunately, individual one-off recordings were not restored (e.g., presidential debates, episodes that interest me of programs like NOVA). Also, the [search] function for adding a recording is not working, but that may be because [Rebuild Database] does not appear to run the searchindexer. I am hopeful [search] will be functional after the regular task-scheduled EPG123 update tomorrow. (I did not have time to run it this evening after spending a lot of time just figuring out how to restore the EPG.)

NOTE: During the rebuild, on one HTPC the LoadMXF program threw a dialog box that it had stopped working, although it appeared to be finished. On my other HTPC, LoadMXF seemed to finish without actually terminating and EPG123 was left hanging. After about 5 minutes - and seeing no activity in Task Manager - I finally ended EPG123 and rebooted to normal mode. In both cases the EPG reappeared in WMC.

I enabled channel matching to fix this problem using [Rebuild Database] but have disabled it (for now) to avoid a repeat of similar problems. This was the first serious problem I have had with EPG123. It was pretty scary to suddenly find out almost the entire EPG was suddenly missing!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:49 am

OwenW wrote:Happened to me this morning (29 Sep). Lineup #1 is ZIP 21093 for Verizon FiOS; Lineup #2 is 21045 for OTA. (I don't actually have OTA tuners. FiOS still supports ClearQAM for local channels. I have one Silicondust HD Homerun with CableCARD and one HDHR which relies on ClearQAM. ZIP 21045 OTA lineup provides channels which match the FiOS ClearQAM channels in my area.) Three or 4 channels were still showing, mostly PBS stations I believe.
Yup, FIOS again. I think I recall this happening to FiOS earlier this year as well, probably before I had automatch up and running. I believe I'm going to have reimagine automatch and maybe lose some capability in epg123 to keep everyone safe from this kind of thing.
OwenW wrote:1. Followed the EPG123 [Rebuild Database] instructions, which restored the guide data to WMC but did not restore my scheduled series recordings. Interestingly, all the series were still present, but no recordings were actually scheduled.
2. In WMC: [Recorded TV] | [View Scheduled] | [Series] to get the list of series scheduled to record. For each series shown: selected it, selected to change settings, then simply saved without actually changing anything. This restored the recording series schedule.

Unfortunately, individual one-off recordings were not restored (e.g., presidential debates, episodes that interest me of programs like NOVA). Also, the [search] function for adding a recording is not working, but that may be because [Rebuild Database] does not appear to run the searchindexer. I am hopeful [search] will be functional after the regular task-scheduled EPG123 update tomorrow. (I did not have time to run it this evening after spending a lot of time just figuring out how to restore the EPG.)
I had actually anticipated some of this behavior but I wasn't sure. Because the rebuild is done in Safe Mode, there is no reindexing or recording checks. I would expect running epg123 again in normal mode would restore the recordings and search. I am surprised about the one-off recordings, though. I'll have to research that to find out why they're not in the same file, and then where the heck they are if not there.
OwenW wrote:NOTE: During the rebuild, on one HTPC the LoadMXF program threw a dialog box that it had stopped working, although it appeared to be finished. On my other HTPC, LoadMXF seemed to finish without actually terminating and EPG123 was left hanging. After about 5 minutes - and seeing no activity in Task Manager - I finally ended EPG123 and rebooted to normal mode. In both cases the EPG reappeared in WMC.
Thanks, I'll take a look at this... see if I can recreate and fix.
OwenW wrote:I enabled channel matching to fix this problem using [Rebuild Database] but have disabled it (for now) to avoid a repeat of similar problems. This was the first serious problem I have had with EPG123. It was pretty scary to suddenly find out almost the entire EPG was suddenly missing!
I'm glad everything is back for you, and sorry for the fright. I would recommend everyone with FiOS lineups to ensure the automatch feature is disabled. I'm waiting on word from SD to see if they know what is going on with their source and/or servers.
- Gary