EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Again not really a bug, perhaps a feature request. When you click the get latest guide listings within WMC once you are switched to EPG123 it claims to be getting the latest listings but it doesn't really run EPG123 update to get the listings. Can it either be hooked to really run an EPG123 update or could a WMC entry somewhere be added to accomplish that? (e.g. in the extras menu). This would be nice since for all 4 of my HTPC's they usually don't have a mouse/keyboard connected and they get controlled exclusively via a remote, so a way to kick off a guide update via remote would be good to have. Thanks

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:25 am

stuartm wrote: This would be nice since for all 4 of my HTPC's they usually don't have a mouse/keyboard connected and they get controlled exclusively via a remote, so a way to kick off a guide update via remote would be good to have.
Why not create a scheduled task to update the guide as often as you want? There is a button to create the task at the bottom of the EPG123 GUI.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Embiggens wrote:
Paint wrote: MCEBuddy has been updated to find the season and episode information from the WTV description: http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/workitem/2889

This makes EPG123 and MCEBuddy even better!
@Paint, thanks, this helps me out as well. So just to verify, do you need to have "append episode description with season and episode numbers" checked for mcebuddy to use this new functionality?
Tested this out and it appears to be the case that you need to have that checked because mcebuddy is looking specifically in the episode description field. The configurability of EPG123 pleases me.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Scallica wrote:
stuartm wrote: This would be nice since for all 4 of my HTPC's they usually don't have a mouse/keyboard connected and they get controlled exclusively via a remote, so a way to kick off a guide update via remote would be good to have.
Why not create a scheduled task to update the guide as often as you want? There is a button to create the task at the bottom of the EPG123 GUI.
Yes, I am fully aware of the scheduled task and in fact have it set up to run daily in the wee hours of the morning. That does not obviate the need to have a method controlled by the remote to run the update on demand which is what I am talking about. i.e. there are situations where I don't want to wait till the wee hours of the morning to refresh my guide data.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:54 am

stuartm wrote:Again not really a bug, perhaps a feature request. When you click the get latest guide listings within WMC once you are switched to EPG123 it claims to be getting the latest listings but it doesn't really run EPG123 update to get the listings. Can it either be hooked to really run an EPG123 update or could a WMC entry somewhere be added to accomplish that? (e.g. in the extras menu). This would be nice since for all 4 of my HTPC's they usually don't have a mouse/keyboard connected and they get controlled exclusively via a remote, so a way to kick off a guide update via remote would be good to have. Thanks
The button to get latest guide listing calls mcupdate, which of course has no listings to retrieve since we declined the ToS. We might be able to do some trickery to get that to call epg123, but not an approach I want to take. The Extras is a possibility, but I haven't messed with mcxml at all ... just read a little bit about it. It would probably be pretty basic, but it isn't on my roadmap just yet.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:37 am

Well, I have finished converting all 4 of my HTPC's tp EPG123 (donation sent). I had one already running 1.0.0 and I upgraded it to 1.0.1. The earlier 1.0.0 machine had been doing nightly guide updates successfully. However, the machines I installed with 1.0.1 all failed guide updates till I went in and modified the update task entry in task manager to have run with highest privileges checked. I also encountered needing to run the scan for additional channels on my OTA tuner setup multiple times before all the OTA channels were found. (Not sure if that's just my tuner being lame) Also had to hand add a couple of VHS channels as Gary documents since they are never found in the scan, but now all are up and running properly.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:53 am

Should I stay or should I go?

I struggled with this question for a long time. I finally took a half way plunge in April 2016. I first started with my back up system and moved to my primary system this summer using a beta release of version 1.0. With the release of 1.0.1, I would confidently recommend to those in the USA sitting on the sidelines asking yourselves, “Should I stay or should I go?” GO. It does take some PC skills to do a fresh install of EPG123, but once it is up and running, you can pretty much forget about it. To be prudent before you do this, you should consider creating a system image and system repair disc just in case you get yourself in real trouble. You can do this in the Control Panel Category: System and Security=>Back up your computer. It came in handy for me when I tried doing too many steps simultaneously and corrupted my system were it would not even boot in any mode.

We’re coming into college football season and I can’t begin to tell how refreshing it is to get accurate scheduling thanks to Schedules Direct and EPG123. Many times last year, Microsoft/ROVI could not give what team was playing on which channel even on game day.

Oh yeah, it won’t be long to switch back to standard time again. That’s been a trip with Microsoft the past few times changes.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:03 pm

One minor bug (documentation bug) The installation guide probably should have a section on how to upgrade your EPG123 version if you already have EPG123 installed. This maybe could also go in a README included with the new release. I remembered reading in a post somewhere in this forum that you just needed to copy in the new binaries so that's what I did and seemed to work fine, but really should be explicitly mentioned somewhere in the docs also I think. So far though very happy with EPG123, although I do sort of miss the sometimes unintended humor of the really wrong thumbnails in the ROVI guide.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:22 am

stuartm wrote:One minor bug (documentation bug) The installation guide probably should have a section on how to upgrade your EPG123 version if you already have EPG123 installed. This maybe could also go in a README included with the new release. I remembered reading in a post somewhere in this forum that you just needed to copy in the new binaries so that's what I did and seemed to work fine, but really should be explicitly mentioned somewhere in the docs also I think.
Good suggestion ... I'll explicitly mention the "upgrade" method to use somewhere/everywhere. Thanks.
stuartm wrote:So far though very happy with EPG123, although I do sort of miss the sometimes unintended humor of the really wrong thumbnails in the ROVI guide.
I could insert an "April Fools Day" feature to jumble everything around to make it look like Rovi is back ... might be fun. :twisted:
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:54 pm

garyan2 wrote:I could insert an "April Fools Day" feature to jumble everything around to make it look like Rovi is back ... might be fun. :twisted:
I thought you already had. Isn't it called Auto match? ;)
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:52 pm

IT Troll wrote:
garyan2 wrote:I could insert an "April Fools Day" feature to jumble everything around to make it look like Rovi is back ... might be fun. :twisted:
I thought you already had. Isn't it called Auto match? ;)
Ouch. I'm wounded. :lolno:
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:54 pm

You could call it OhCrapNo321
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Kinda why I'm sticking at 1.0.0 for now..

Paint

Post by Paint » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm having an issue with my WMC after upgrading EPG123 to 1.0.2 on my Windows 7 x64 machine with Ceton 6 Tuner setup.

My WMC is now showing 0 channels available. When I add all of the channels back via WMC, EPG123 still does not show any of the channels available:

Please advise on how to resolve this issue and keep my past recorded series etc. Thank you!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm

paint, looks like you don't have any channels selected to download. Only the stations with a checkmark beside them will be downloaded in imported into WMC.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:52 pm

You need to select the channels you want downloaded in the column on the right side of epg123 GUI.

Paint

Post by Paint » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:59 pm

garyan2 wrote:paint, looks like you don't have any channels selected to download. Only the stations with a checkmark beside them will be downloaded in imported into WMC.
garyan2, I previously had all of the channels that I wanted selected. I have been using EPG123 without issue since the beginning.

1. Now all of my channels do not show up in the EPG123 application (as you can see from the screenshot). All 920 channels from FIOS should show up correctly in EPG123, it no longer does that.
2. WMC still shows the ability to add/remove channels 1 to 10000, but none of the channel names or call signs are listed or selected.

This issue started when I upgraded to EPG123 1.0.2 from 1.0.1. I have a feeling all of the channels were removed during a bad "auto match" by the new version....

I have done the following and it does not help resolve the issue (EPG123 1.0.2 still shows only a handful of channels in the GUI for selection)
1. Opened WMC, edited channels, selected channels 502 to 950 (well covers all of the HD channels that used to be and I would like to be in my WMC guide)
2. Restarted my PC
3. Opened EPG123 to select channels to automatch - please look at previous screenshot, I only have 30 or so channels available which are not even selected in WMC
Last edited by Paint on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Is there anything in the trace.log file? Considering how few channels you have in the list, I suspect there is a lineup issue with SD. If there is nothing in the trace.log file, open a ticket with SD.

May want to verify on SD website (XML service) that all your channels are still listed.
- Gary

Paint

Post by Paint » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:12 pm

garyan2 wrote:Is there anything in the trace.log file? Considering how few channels you have in the list, I suspect there is a lineup issue with SD. If there is nothing in the trace.log file, open a ticket with SD.

May want to verify on SD website (XML service) that all your channels are still listed.

It looks like my trace.log got deleted... but here is a pastebin of the latest: http://pastebin.com/pQF7Hzw5

I am using the following schedulesdirect lineup: Verizon Fios New York Plus - Digital (10010)

All of the channels show up correctly via the GUI: http://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineups/edit/NY65256:X

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Just added your lineup to my account, and I get the same limited number of channels. This appears to be a SD-JSON problem.

NOTE: this is the risk of keeping automatch selected ... if the source (SD) falls through, you will drop channels immediately. They might still exist in the database, but you will have to manually make the match and in the mean-time, disable automatch so they don't keep disappearing.
- Gary