Playready does not work

robnitro

HTPC Specs: Show details

Playready does not work

Post by robnitro » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:28 pm

I have acronis doing a weekly image. This allowed me to keep this windows 7 install in tact for many years.
But only in the last few months playready would mess up after an image restore.
Nothing else changed.

What really sucks is that I do everything, the playready, resetdrm, uninstall/reinstall wmc, sfc /scannow... and playready fails like with that annoying bull crap immediate fail.
No errror code, nothing in event viewer. Typical lazy programmers made this crap. Same idiots that came up with copy protection, meanwhile ANY and every show is copied easily off the web. SIGH so pissed off.

So only way I fix it is by doing an in place upgrade install of windows 7. SAD, it doesnt help me though because I want to find out what the hell gets broken???

I even got playready etc working. Reset DRM and was able to redo playready no problem.

Then with that same image, I reloaded it, booted up and had playready fail? WTF Even in setup TV it will fail downloading the channel listings/guide.

Something is going on with DRM and it's becoming sick and stupid. Like beyond hardware, they are setting some timestamps.

[Moderator note: shouting removed]

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:13 pm

Read this thread as it has some good points. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ady#p82491 Bottom line is Your hard drive partition including MBR or EFI partition cannot be different and is tied directly to your windows install for playready DRM. using a image using a backup program may not work if it is missing those important disk parameters.

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks so much, I don't know why this thread never popped up in my endless searching on a solution.

I think you lead me onto something that might have caused issues now, but not before. I updated the motherboard in order to have a newer intel RST bios and it could have messed up this MBR link. I will try those directions tomorrow and if it doesn't work I will do a new install on another drive and have to slow by slow redo my server things (htpc is my server too- argh).

Sorry mods- for the yelling, I was so pissed, after going through this a month ago and again now this time with a total failure after reinstall upgrade in place.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:21 pm

robnitro wrote:Thanks so much, I don't know why this thread never popped up in my endless searching on a solution.

I think you lead me onto something that might have caused issues now, but not before. I updated the motherboard in order to have a newer intel RST bios and it could have messed up this MBR link. I will try those directions tomorrow and if it doesn't work I will do a new install on another drive and have to slow by slow redo my server things (HTPC is my server too- argh).

Sorry mods- for the yelling, I was so peeved, after going through this a month ago and again now this time with a total failure after reinstall upgrade in place.
What mobo did you upgrade to and from. If it is a different controller EG (X77 -> Z97) it will never work...

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:46 pm

No upgrade. It was just that I had problems with playready, so I rolled back image, which used to work and allow me to redo playready.

This time it was being picky despite clearing all drm/playready/ehome.

I fixed it now, but it wasn't the mbr that fixed it. I had to check a VM image of a normal windows 7 install and using certmgr.exe, compare trusted certificates. I deleted many on the wmc7 machine to match the known good. Rebooted and all is well.

So, something happened with certificates which broke the ability for playready to encrypt/decrypt. I just Hate (!) software that doesnt give you error messages. Same with cars that have abstract error codes, which also end up doing the same thing- make people waste time and money, due to the laziness and lack of foresight of the creators.

I wish I could know which windows update broke it. Perhaps blocking the windows 10 updates with GWX blocker program made my certificates get corrupt with time. Or maybe their own updates block it if you deny GWX updates

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:25 am

To get here, open an elevated CMD prompt and type certmgr, hit enter.

A screenshot of certs that are currently working.

If you have extra ones or ones with different dates, you can export them for safekeeping and delete them.

I did the nuclear option and deleted anything that was not in my WMC win 7 VM which I use for my sister's family extenders.
Yeah I had to make a VM because there's no option to block them from deleting my recordings etc!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:24 pm

RobNitro,

I suspect we have a similar problem with Win10 "14393". All WMC versions for Win10 result in "No Tuners Found" when trying to setup a CableCard Tuner. OTA, DVB-Virtual, T, C, etc., all detect normally in WMC tuner setup. It appears CableCard Tuners have been eliminated. Normally, when we run Digital Cable Adviser (DCA), in Win10 "10586" CableCard tuners setup fine. In 14393 the result is... no tuners found. It appears to me that DCA or one of the components of DCA is not working.

When I run the DCA, then get a "pass", then "Update Settings", the next step is to install the Media Center Add-In pictured in DCA_001 If you click on details, it appears to me, that the Add-in installs some Certificates, which are pictured in the next post. DCA_002, DCA_003, DCA_004

We have tried a couple things to correct the problem such as:

1)Export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ost1269460

2) Rebuild the BDA section using BDA files from 10586

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ost1273300

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by myself, and or, 30,000 CableCard users on the east coast.
Attachments
DCA_001.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Here are the other 3 pictures.
Attachments
DCA_004.jpg
DCA_003.jpg
DCA_002.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Not quite sure why I saved DCA_005, it appears I was researching the error code. LICENSE_REQUEST or possibly 0xC00D271CL. This error code likely appears in one of the log files... EhRecvr or EhPrivjob.

Here is the link to a working 14393 Virtual Tuner.

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... ost1269179
Attachments
DCA_005.JPG

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Sorry, I don't know enough about this. I never had tuner discover errors. I did have playready not update, that annoying quick fail.
Also, I had it where resetting tuners, it could not download the channel data and guide data.

If you want me to, I can export my certs, just will take a while one by one, unless you knew a way. I got my list of certs from a virgin VM that only has WMC and guidetool.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks for the idea, I think I will build a Virgin 10586 and export the certs from that.

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 am

If this works, will playready CC work in win10? If so, sounds great!

I didn't have to export, I just had funky ones, some duplicates and old ones. I also had some obscure RDP errors (I run concurrent sessions for my server stuff) about SSL. From what I read on other forums with cert issues, there are 1 or 2 key certs to keep and the rest can be deleted. The system will redownload/reapply any ones that it needs, like a web browser does.

The shady world of security :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

I doubt it will work for us, but it is a rock that needs to be overturned.....just to see what scurries out.

As the project sits right now, we can play a MS downloaded PlayReady file. The problem is we are unable to record protected without a tuner, so obviously PlayReady needs a bit more work. It appears PlayReady is preventing us from installing a tuner into the only DVR that is able to record DRM channels.