Wow it's getting really quiet in TGB

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
HTBruceM

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wow it's getting really quiet in TGB

Post by HTBruceM » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:40 pm

Really sad actually.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:02 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:D

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

We knew this would be the way. The purpose of this forum was to help what was left. It has enough relevant information in it to be helpful and a nice place for EPG123 to have started its journey.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 pm

what a ride its been. I thought Comcast switch to H.264 and also rovi would be its end. but here i am with WMC and extenders in most rooms going strong. It still works for its core purpose photos, music, and DVR. I think with EPG123 it has been saved once again. We shall see for how long.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:39 am

I hate to bring this up, but with Rovi owning TiVo, what's to stop them from no longer providing guide data to Microsoft in order to "force" those last few WMC users to buy a TiVo device?

Also, Gracenote is not very healthy either... they can pull the plug at some point in the future as well, then what? No Microsoft/Rovi, no Schedules Direct/ Gracenote.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility and I want everyone here to worry about it along with me :-)

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Rovi/TiVo won't view Microsoft as a threat with WMC - since Rovi's business has been to provide the program guide data - and they do that to a much larger customer base than TiVo, seems very unlikely Rovi/TiVo would pull the plug on the WMC guide data. It's more likely Microsoft will decide at some point they can turn the guide data off - which could happen at any time, without any advanced notice.

Spanner - if you have Comcast H.264 in your area - are you using Xbox 360s to watch "premium" channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, ...)? Comcast is supposed to begin migrating to H.264 in our area next month - and if that breaks our WMC/Xbox 360 environment, we'll have to move to something else that does work - and at this point, if TiVo releases a 6 tuner Bolt - that's likely what we'll use.

It's surprising that even though Microsoft hasn't done any development on WMC since Windows 7 (and most of the development was really done for Vista), it is still the best DVR available today. SD is trying to get into the market, but is far behind for a "whole home DVR". Comcast has made a lot of progress with their X1 DVR, and they've done a nice job integrating their streaming and On Demand services into the same interface, but as a DVR, it still has restrictions and it's a closed environment that has restrictions on playback navigation and doesn't allow access to your personal media.

TiVo appears to be the closest (at least for those of us needing DRM) and with the new features they added in their Bolt line last year, they're even providing semi-automatic commercial skipping - which is the first time we've seen that in a "commercial" DVR since we purchased our SonicBlue ReplayTV many years ago (that was also a great product - for its time).

It's really unfortunate that Microsoft didn't view WMC as a large enough market for them to continue developing products. Like with their early Windows Mobile PDAs, they were far ahead of the market - and squandered the opportunity to be the market leader today.

Really sad...

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:38 pm

bob_p wrote:Rovi/TiVo won't view Microsoft as a threat with WMC - since Rovi's business has been to provide the program guide data - and they do that to a much larger customer base than TiVo, seems very unlikely Rovi/TiVo would pull the plug on the WMC guide data. It's more likely Microsoft will decide at some point they can turn the guide data off - which could happen at any time, without any advanced notice.

Spanner - if you have Comcast H.264 in your area - are you using Xbox 360s to watch "premium" channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, ...)? Comcast is supposed to begin migrating to H.264 in our area next month - and if that breaks our WMC/Xbox 360 environment, we'll have to move to something else that does work - and at this point, if TiVo releases a 6 tuner Bolt - that's likely what we'll use.

It's surprising that even though Microsoft hasn't done any development on WMC since Windows 7 (and most of the development was really done for Vista), it is still the best DVR available today. SD is trying to get into the market, but is far behind for a "whole home DVR". Comcast has made a lot of progress with their X1 DVR, and they've done a nice job integrating their streaming and On Demand services into the same interface, but as a DVR, it still has restrictions and it's a closed environment that has restrictions on playback navigation and doesn't allow access to your personal media.

TiVo appears to be the closest (at least for those of us needing DRM) and with the new features they added in their Bolt line last year, they're even providing semi-automatic commercial skipping - which is the first time we've seen that in a "commercial" DVR since we purchased our SonicBlue ReplayTV many years ago (that was also a great product - for its time).

It's really unfortunate that Microsoft didn't view WMC as a large enough market for them to continue developing products. Like with their early Windows Mobile PDAs, they were far ahead of the market - and squandered the opportunity to be the market leader today.

Really sad...
Yes Comcast went to H.264 in my area. I currently have three xbox 360's and two echos. the switch made my Linksys 2100's unusable for all but a few local channels. As far as premium channels, I only have HBO. HBO works fine on my main HTPC (after replacing onboard Intel with a AMD graphics Card) and I use the xbox 360 "hbo go" app for watching all Extender HBO content. not quite as convenient as before, but at least it is on the same hardware and It didn't require a new box.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:10 pm

HTBruceM wrote:Really sad actually.
thread title made me remember this one:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/94q4/notyouagain.html

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:30 pm

It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:09 am

Well that's nice....

:wink:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:16 am

adam1991 wrote:
HTBruceM wrote:Really sad actually.
thread title made me remember this one:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/94q4/notyouagain.html
Did anyone question why the son was in the closet? Sounds like mom cant get enough.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:51 pm

mcewinter wrote:It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.
Boot? Apparently, I missed something.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm

UCBearcat wrote:
mcewinter wrote:It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.
Boot? Apparently, I missed something.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 4fd#p81202

IMHO his abrasiveness unfortunately outweighed his expertise

manielse

Post by manielse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:54 am

I'm sure several of us still shadow the site like me. Lot's of us still use WMC but can't really contribute much.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm

manielse wrote:I'm sure several of us still shadow the site like me. Lot's of us still use WMC but can't really contribute much.
Same here.

From my Up All Night Sleep All Day Gs7 on Tapatalk

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Honestly my WMC is as stable and reliable as it has ever been, so I just don't have a lot of questions or need to be around here.

I still check the for sale boards occasionally.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 am

The end is near....

I have never run into so many dead-ends. A few years ago, everything I tried just absolutely worked.
Attachments
GrimReaper001.jpg

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

I think i will be running WMC until Comcast stops support for cablecard. At that time I will put my OTA tuners back in and go over the air, and back it up with streaming, which i am already doing. I still see it as a pretty good whole house solution with the hardware paid for years ago. I can see it being worthwhile for several years to come.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:30 am

Yea.. it's too bad it's quiet.. I loved the HEY day of WIndows Media Center... I was directly involved with Microsoft in WMC for Vista and Windows 7, bug bash winner many times (a lot of little bugs that you do not see today) and even got into some really COOL hardware betas that never came to light... Very cool stuff.. I also a MVP for Windows Media Center from 2010-2012... ah those were the days...

And at that time, as WMC (back in the old TGB) was a hot topic with hobbyists, along came all the basement 3rd party apps that really extended it and you could even go into some areas and request an app, and it would be made (normally a lot of interest). It was really great days and many ways to extend WMC to what you even see/expect in a modern DVR but, 5-10 years ago.

This site is a great resource and I still wish we could fully access the old TGB just for past info...

Trust me when I say it, I really do miss the golden days of WMC.... it was a great time :(
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

john321

Post by john321 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:35 am

mcewinter wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:30 pm It only got quieter since Barnabas1969 got the boot. It would be interesting to hear from him.
I wonder where that guy went???