Any way to swap motherboards without breaking DRM?

JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any way to swap motherboards without breaking DRM?

Post by JTScribe » Tue May 31, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm going to be using the same CPU, just replacing the motherboard and adding a graphics card. The motherboard is the same brand and chipset as the one I have now, just a different form factor.

If I have to do a reinstall that's not a big deal I suppose, but I do have everything set up the way I like it and it would be annoying to have to redo it.

I usually roll the IDE drivers back to generic ones for swaps but I'm wondering if I'll even need to do that in this instance since it's the same ATA controller.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue May 31, 2016 10:55 pm

JTScribe wrote:I'm going to be using the same CPU, just replacing the motherboard and adding a graphics card. The motherboard is the same brand and chipset as the one I have now, just a different form factor.

If I have to do a reinstall that's not a big deal I suppose, but I do have everything set up the way I like it and it would be annoying to have to redo it.

I usually roll the IDE drivers back to generic ones for swaps but I'm wondering if I'll even need to do that in this instance since it's the same ATA controller.
If it's the EXACT CPU and Motherboard, it should not be a problem but, different form factor could have different chips on them or newer chips and that would break DRM. This is IF you have a cablecard tuner.

I would backup before the change but, this is one of those MAYBE type things. There is no way to be 100% sure but, if it's 100% the same chipset, same OEM and SAME CPU...I THINK you would be ok...

I work on PCs for a living and have done something like the sort in the past, it went flawlessly with the same chipset, CPU and same video card... It did kick off activation on windows tho...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:35 am

I do have a CableCard tuner. Hmm.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Okay, so this is crazy. New motherboard and additional video card. Same CPU, memory, and drives.

Had to reactivate Windows - but protected recordings play back fine.

Whaaaaaaaaat?

Space

Post by Space » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:32 pm

It's been known to happen. Playready DRM is a bit of a mystery...

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:53 pm

It was about the most seamless motherboard swap I've ever done. The only drivers I had to install were for the NIC and the video card.

And now I don't worry about the H.264 bug on Comcast. :D

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Same brand and chipset MB probably helped here.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:21 am

Any idea what would cause the onboard NIC to not be able to pull a DHCP address? It worked fine in my office to download graphics drivers. Put it under the TV and no go. Swapped network cables with the Roku and both cables in the living room are good. Seems very odd.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:25 am

Do you have any MAC filtering on your router?

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 am

Nope, even went in and assigned a particular address to the new MAC, which did show up, but no Internet connection. I pulled my TV switch out of the equation and went direct to the wall and it worked as it should. Switch was super hot, wonder if it's close to biting the bullet.