HVR-2250 - Win7 x64 sleep issue

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
FrenchieQc

HTPC Specs: Show details

HVR-2250 - Win7 x64 sleep issue

Post by FrenchieQc » Sat May 28, 2016 1:54 am

Hello everybody,

First time posting here and english is not my first language so please bear with me.

I'm currently trying to setup an HTPC using an HP Elite 8300 - SFF with an i5-3570 processor (full specs here : http://www8.hp.com/sg/en/pdf/HP_Compaq_ ... 522518.pdf ).

The OS is Windows 7 x64 Professional (all updates applied), RAM is 4Gb DDR3, HDD is a 2Tb WD Blue. The BIOS is up to date to the latest available.

The setup went smoothly and everything is working fine (including MCE) except for one issue : the PC will enter sleep mode, but only once. After a first wake-up (from the keyboard or mouse) it will enter sleep mode again after the time set-up in power options, but only to wake-up almost instantly.

Oddly enough, after the first wake-up, one must invoke the shut down command twice before it actually shuts down : after the first attempt, the system will restart by itself a few seconds after it "seems" to shut down. Shutting it down a second time (before it sleeps), do the job.

I tried to troubleshoot using powercfg and event viewer's Power-Troubleshooter entries, but at no avail : the source of the last wake is "unknown".

I then decided to start from scratch with a "basic" install : Win7x64 + HP Chipset/Graphics/Audio/LAN drivers + All available recommended updates from MS.

I made sure that the system could correctly and consitstently enter sleep and wake-up at that stage.

The next step was to insert the Hauppauge HVR-2250 card in the PCIe-X1 slot. I then decided to wait a couple of "sleep" cycles before going further (installing Happauge's driver being the next step). To my dismay, the insomnia issue started right at that moment. Removing the card instantly solved the issue.

The card itself (whit its driver installed) is working fine in another (older) PC (ie: an HP 6000 Pro SFF - Intel Core 2 Duo)

Hauppauge's support was as helpful as a surfboard in the Mojave desert in their attempt to solve or even troubleshoot the issue ("this problem appears to be a compatibility issue between our 2250 and the system board in your computer, unfortunately I can offer no workaround or solutions" - Jerry F.).

Did anybody was ever successful with that hardware and basic software setup ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 am

Do you have any drivers in a problem state in device manager. In previous systems I needed to install a specific .inf file for ATK0110. I looked at the HP site but nothing stood out. There are 2 HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF models one of the is energy star. There is a power management application but don't think that is it, here is a link http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/publ ... nvOid=4061 .

This may help http://lifehacker.com/5260396/hidden-wi ... e-problems

also http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01853693

FrenchieQc

Post by FrenchieQc » Sat May 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks for your answer.

All devices in device manager are in their normal state.

There are no visible logos on or in the case, nor in the BIOS setup showing that this model is Energy Star compliant. (Am I correct to think there whould be an Energy Star logo beside the "Intel inside" one if it was the case ?)

The HP Power Assistant (which seems to provide a different way to handle to the Windows Power Options) didn't help resolve the issue.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 pm

I have seen these exact issues with the Hauppauge 2250 tuner cards. Here are my notes from a few years ago when I was struggling with this problem.
At that time I did manage to get Hauppauge to exchange cards that were exhibiting the problem a couple of times. I ended up buying used cards on Ebay and running sleep/wakeup cycles repeatedly till I had working cards.

NOTE: For Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3 Motherboard x1 PCI-E slots lose
older Hauppauge-2250 Tuner cards on wake from sleep
Cards work ok in x16 slot. Also, newer Hauppauge 2250 tuner
cards may have problems in x1 slots. On sleep may immediately
re-awake or on shutdown may restart. Some cards have no problems,
others will only work properly in x16 slot.
(The x1 slot problem is seen when using Core i3-3225, unknown for
other CPUs)
The rev of the card as reported in Device Manager needs to be newer
than 88000 to avoid the losing the card on wake problem.
Cards marked 88041 report as 88000 and often don't return from sleep
Cards marked 88061 report as 88051 and may work in x1 slot

Bottom line: Hauppauge PCI-E tuner cards seem to exhibit terrible sleep/wakeup compatibility with some (perhaps many) motherboard/cpu combinations.
An alternative you could investigate is that Hauppauge now has a USB dual tuner that may exhibit better sleep/wakeup behavior but I have not tried one out.

FrenchieQc

Post by FrenchieQc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:17 am

Thanks for your reply.
stuartm wrote:I have seen these exact issues with the Hauppauge 2250 tuner cards. Here are my notes from a few years ago when I was struggling with this problem.
At that time I did manage to get Hauppauge to exchange cards that were exhibiting the problem a couple of times. I ended up buying used cards on Ebay and running sleep/wakeup cycles repeatedly till I had working cards.
Hauppauge support told me the never heard of an issue like this. You are the third person I'm aware of to report this specific issue to Hauppauge support.
Seems that their knowlegdebase has some flaws..!
stuartm wrote: Also, newer Hauppauge 2250 tuner
cards may have problems in x1 slots. On sleep may immediately
re-awake or on shutdown may restart. Some cards have no problems,
others will only work properly in x16 slot.
(The x1 slot problem is seen when using Core i3-3225, unknown for
other CPUs)
The rev of the card as reported in Device Manager needs to be newer
than 88000 to avoid the losing the card on wake problem.
Cards marked 88041 report as 88000 and often don't return from sleep
Cards marked 88061 report as 88051 and may work in x1 slot
My card is marked as 88061 LF and reports as 88051 in device manager.

After reading your post, I pulled the card from the x1 slot and put it in the first x16 slot. The following then happened :

1) Upon restarting windows, Windows installed the following drivers :
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 (8851)
Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rg Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port - 0151

(Why the latter one installed *only* at that moment remains a mystery to me..)

2) The sleep function worked properly on all times ! :thumbup:

3) After putting the card back on the x1 slot, the sleep disorder problems came back. :-(

4) I then put the card in the 2nd x16 slot (*) : sleep disorders persists ! :crazy:

(*) Depending on the HP datasheet you read, the second x16 slot is sometimes identified as an x4 slot. In my system, the BIOS "Slot Security" option lists it as an PCIe-x4 slot.

5) I finally put the card back in the first x16 slot : sleep works as expected !!
stuartm wrote: Bottom line: Hauppauge PCI-E tuner cards seem to exhibit terrible sleep/wakeup compatibility with some (perhaps many) motherboard/cpu combinations. An alternative you could investigate is that Hauppauge now has a USB dual tuner that may exhibit better sleep/wakeup behavior but I have not tried one out.
Given the poor support (or lack thereof) I got from Hauppauge, I doubt I will ever buy another device from them. Known issues or incompatibilities (with workarounds, if any) should be listed on their support web pages and they should be more proactive in helping troubleshoot the issue, just as you did !!

Thanks again for your input !!

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:29 am

I am having the same issue with my 2255 card. in any of 4 x1 slots on two different motherboards it disappears when I sleep or shut down my pc. In the x16 slots it works fine. Good thing I have 2 x16 slots and only run 1 graphics card. below are quotes from my emails with hauppauge. Not very helpful. They act like it is a one off problem when it is clearly much larger. Looks like it will have to do for now but I am thinking of returning it and going with a sd home run qam tuner and a stand alone video capture card. Very frustrating.

my statement.
I installed the new 2255 today and it is doing the same thing. this is 3 different cards. Two 2255 and one 2250 as well as 2 different systems and different pcie slots on both motherboards. I can get it installed but if I shut the computer down or put it to sleep when it wakes up or turns back on the tuner drops off the device manager and will not reinstall from windows or using the provided disk or downloaded drivers. I am using win 7 64 bit with windows updates installed. When it try's to reinstall the drivers it states no compatible hardware found.

His answer
This makes no sense, you say you tried 2 systems. Are they the same type or manufacturer?

My response.
After searching through some forums online it looks to be a issue with the tuner cards in Pci x1 slots. It will only work in a pci x16 slot. This is not ideal as it takes up one of my graphics card slots. Could it be something to do with uefi vs standard bios as both my systems are running uefi. This looks to be a known issue for some time now. Is there a new firmware available for the card that fixes the issue? And no not same manufacturer. 1 is msi lga 1150 and 1 is Asus lga 1150. Both core i5 and win 7 home 64

His final answer.
I know of no issues with PCIe x1 slot vs x16. We have had a few System boards over the years that would not detect the card at all some compatibility issue. there are no firmware updates to address this issue you are reporting.

Regards,

Jerry Fox
jfox@hauppauge.com
Technical Support
Hauppauge Computer Works
New York
http://www.hauppauge.com

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:41 am

Where are you seeing the the card revision number? mine is reporting as device id Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2255 (F111). I have looked through the details section and do not see a card revision #.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Those version id's show in the device manager info for the card. But we were talking about the HVR 2250 so what the card reports seems to be a bit different for your 2255. Regardless, I reported the problem to Hauppauge several years ago and sent them failing cards. I an very disappointed that they did nothing about the problem even with the newer generation of devices. I believe they have some problems in their PCIE interface hardware, possibly some marginal timing or signal levels. The problem is obviously in the cards since for me the problem would follow the card. A failing card in one system would fail in another as well. And a working card would work elsewhere. I was desperate enough to even build a system with a different manufacturer's motherboard and the failure followed the card there as well. They obviously have a problem with their cards in PCIE x1 slots.