Dual tuner for ATSC & Clear QAM with Hardware decoding.

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
jonny4

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dual tuner for ATSC & Clear QAM with Hardware decoding.

Post by jonny4 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:58 am

I am looking to record either 2 over the air HD signals or cable hd at the same time on my low end htpc that I think would do better with hardware decoding. I have searched and found the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 suggested but are there any other suggestions. I actually have a perfectly good AVerMedia m780 but I have a limited amount of room in the case and don't want to install 2 of them. I have a friend who is selling a Nero Liquid tv setup for $25 and I think it includes the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q, is this a hardware decoding device? Any help wpul be appreciated.
HTPC: Pentium Dual Core e6300, GA-G41M-ES2L, Xigmatek Apache II cooler, XFX Radeon HD5670, 4 GB ddr2 800mhz, 500 GB WD 7200rpm boot, 2 TB WD media, Antec 430w, Samsung SH-B123L BR-d, Silverstone Grandia GD05, and Controlled by Harmony 700 remote.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 am

Hardware decoding is a function of the GPU, not the tuner. The GPU decodes the MPEG stream that is received by the tuner. Looking at your specs, your system seems fine. Is there some kind of problem you are having?

jonny4

Post by jonny4 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:57 am

no problems, just wanted to make sure I am using good tv tuners.
HTPC: Pentium Dual Core e6300, GA-G41M-ES2L, Xigmatek Apache II cooler, XFX Radeon HD5670, 4 GB ddr2 800mhz, 500 GB WD 7200rpm boot, 2 TB WD media, Antec 430w, Samsung SH-B123L BR-d, Silverstone Grandia GD05, and Controlled by Harmony 700 remote.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

jonny4 wrote:I am looking to record either 2 over the air HD signals or cable hd at the same time on my low end htpc that I think would do better with hardware decoding.
I think you meant hardware ENcoding.

But ENcoding the stream is what one does with an analog source--one encodes it to the digital stream that's stored on disc. That used to be a big deal, back when OTA and cable were analog. The ENcoding had to be done using computer processing power, and you had a choice: either steal processing power from your motherboard, or else buy tuner cards that had their own computing power on them.

But TV signals, OTA or cable, are not analog anymore. The streams you're talking about--OTA HD and cable HD--are already digital, and don't need to be ENcoded before being stored on disc. The tuner will simply stream the bits directly to disc without having to do anything to them.

What has to happen is your stored bits have to be DEcoded in order to be shown as video on your screen. That's a function of your PC setup, not the tuners. The tuners don't have anything to do with actually playing your shows.

So you're looking for a dual ATSC (OTA) or QAM or cableCARD (cable) tuner (depending on how your cableco sends a signal down.)

The 2250 is nice but maybe overkill, as your have zero need for its analog capabilities (given your stated requirement of recording HD). Hauppauge makes a range of products. You mentioned the 050Q; it does everything you need *except* for the fact that it's only one tuner, so you'd need two of them.

Two 950Q at Amazon is $136; one 2250 is $100. If you have room for the 2250 and are going either OTA or clear QAM or a combination of the two, it's a great choice.

If you want cable only and are willing to go the cableCARD route, Hauppauge makes the two-tuner 2650; it's only $125. Then there's the Silicon Dust three tuner unit (external), and of course the Ceton four tuner models (external or internal). I really, really like the cableCARD route if only for how well the channel numbering and the guide is handled.

Then, as Richard points out, DEcoding the digital stream out to TV is what you're looking for. Just make sure your PC is up to the task.

TheReaper

Post by TheReaper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 am

adam1991 wrote:... If you have room for the 2250 and are going either OTA or clear QAM or a combination of the two, it's a great choice...
The last time I checked, my hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 only had one tv antenna input (the other antenna input is for FM radio). So it works if you are using both tuners for clear QAM, or both tuners for OTA ATSC, but trying to do one of each would be tricky.
<- My Media Center PC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:44 am

Ah, true. Forgot about that. (It's been awhile since I've fiddled with my 2250 connection; so far, it just works for what I need it for, which is clear QAM.)

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:32 pm

The older SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner had an input for each tuner. You can still get them on Ebay and Amazon usually under $100.

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHom ... B0010Y414Q

The newer HDHomeRun only has a single input, these are network tuners so it would need to be connect to your network.