Media Center EPG: Rovi Guide Data Quality

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by webminster » Mon May 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Jeez, what happened with Rovi with respect to FX daily schedules? Quite a few days on the schedules as generic "FX programming" from 7am - 6pm. The Zap2It schedule looks much better.
-Alan

Windom

Post by Windom » Fri May 06, 2016 5:11 am

Space wrote:
Windom wrote:It may have already been mentioned here, but I noticed that a lot of shows on Cartoon Network don't have episode specific information. I'm looking for a couple of specific older Bob's Burgers episodes but will never find them without episode titles! I guess I really should just give EPG123 a try at some point.
Just looked at every episode of "Bob's Burgers" on the Cartoon Network and they all have ESI in my guide (using Rovi).
Thanks. You are right. It looks like my guide had stopped updating! I only had a week of data left. It seems that somehow the Windows scheduled tasks couldn't be read when I opened the Task Scheduler. Luckily, a reboot fixed the issue and my guide is fresh again.

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 09, 2016 9:39 am

Looks like the seriesId of "Food Network Star" now has a thumbnail, so perhaps this is the new seriesId that will be used (which differs from the prior season). Maybe they are considering it a new series because it is "Food Network Star: Comeback Kitchen", but the name they use for the series is still just "Food Network Star", so I don't know.

"Bates Motel" is still assigned an incorrect seriesId. You will have to create a one-off recording for episode "Forever" in order to not miss it.

In a first (that I've seen), "Storage Wars" (A&E) episode "Sundown Showdown" is premiering on 5/17 at 10pm ET, however this time Rovi has the OAD correct and Gracenote (zap2it) has it wrong (OAD: 5/14/2016). When I first looked at this last week, Rovi actually had this episode airing at 5:30pm ET on 5/14/2016 (with the same 5/17/2016 OAD), but it looks like they have now removed that earlier incorrect airing.

I am guessing that Gracenote will also correct the error and it is probably just a timing issue.

Perhaps this is actually a result of Gracenote "fixing" the data they got from the network. The network sent OAD: 5/17, but the show was first airing on 5/14, so Gracenote corrected it. Rovi has no such logic in place, so they just blindly showed the episode airing on 5/14 with an OAD of 5/17 (which makes no sense at all). Then the network corrected their mistake and removed the 5/14 airing. I expect whatever sanity checks Gracenote employs will eventually see that the airing was removed and will correct the OAD of the 5/17 episode (unless their checks fail in this situation for some reason).

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Mon May 09, 2016 11:16 am

If you're a Schedules Direct subscriber and Storage Wars is still incorrect on 2016-05-11, please open a ticket at the Schedules Direct website.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 pm

I am guessing the seriesID of "Veep" changed recently? I have had a "record series" setting for Veep for several years. The first episode of season 5 recorded just fine. Then I noted that the 2nd episode "Nev-AD-a" did not record at all. And when I checked for upcoming "scheduled to record" episodes it had an abstract description for a Rachael Ray show.

Deleting the old series and adding new again seems to have fixed the problem, for now.

cycletourist

Post by cycletourist » Sat May 21, 2016 11:08 pm

Beating a dead horse, I suppose, but it is almost amusing.

The new HBO movie about LBJ (with Brian Cranston) is on tonight and I almost missed it. Although Rovi has the correct title "All The Way," for some reason the description is for a move called "The Night We Called It a Day" and the thumbnail is for a children's movie called "Molly Moon ...something ..."

I have so little on my recording schedule these days (series Finales are done) I am simply going to have to get on board with EPG and Schedules Direct.

I wonder if Rovi is going to sink Tivo with their ineptitude.

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 22, 2016 12:16 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've kind of given up on reporting the issues here, although I will probably still do it from time to time.

For me, it has the same description as yours, but the thumbnail is for "A Madea Christmas".

If you look at airings of this movie later in the week (starting tomorrow evening), you will see that it has correct info.

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 22, 2016 3:04 am

cycletourist wrote:I wonder if Rovi is going to sink Tivo with their ineptitude.
You won quote of the day, congrats.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue May 31, 2016 1:37 am

Guide data download issues should be discussed here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 96&t=10046
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:36 pm

I'd call this A Rovi quality issue, but it appears as well on the Gracenote/SD data:

Upcoming on MAXHD (Cinemax): "Joy" (the recent movie about Mangano and the Miracle Mop, ya know)
Summary: "A Nigerian immigrant tries to stop her husband from circumcising their daughter"

At least on the Gracenote data, the full plot description is utterly different...
-Alan

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:56 pm

^ Oopsie
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:31 pm

webminster wrote:I'd call this A Rovi quality issue, but it appears as well on the Gracenote/SD data:

Upcoming on MAXHD (Cinemax): "Joy" (the recent movie about Mangano and the Miracle Mop, ya know)
Summary: "A Nigerian immigrant tries to stop her husband from circumcising their daughter"

At least on the Gracenote data, the full plot description is utterly different...
Are you sure that it's about the cleaning company? Because the Cinemax website says that it's about circumcision:

http://www.cinemax.com/apps/schedule/Sc ... _ID=789206

Sun 6/12 @ 05:45 AM
JOY
Rated: TVMA for VIOLENCE, ADULT CONTENT
Time: 15
Genre: Thriller, Drama
SUMMARY
A Nigerian woman living in America struggles to convince her husband not to circumcise their 10-year-old daughter in this short film. Starring Sope Aluko, Bayo Akinfemi and Hannah Tarver. Written and directed by Solomon Onita Jr. (TVMA) (AC,V)
Actors: BAYO AKINFEMI, SOPE ALUKO, HANNAH TARVER, GEORGINA ELIZABETH OKON
Director: SOLOMON ONITA, JR.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Well.. going by your data (e.g. that downloaded by EPG123)... the entry has the title and artwork for the cleaning company, the extended (full plot) description specifically details the Mangano version, and the cast list was that of that movie. It might be the other one... just an interesting (very contrasted) combination. One was definitely left to wonder, if one compared at least the artwork and the description...

EDIT: but, looking back at it, regardless, it can't be the Mangano, since it shows 15 minutes long...
-Alan

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:56 pm

webminster wrote:Well.. going by your data (e.g. that downloaded by EPG123)... the entry has the title and artwork for the cleaning company, the extended (full plot) description specifically details the Mangano version, and the cast list was that of that movie. It might be the other one... just an interesting (very contrasted) combination. One was definitely left to wonder, if one compared at least the artwork and the description...

EDIT: but, looking back at it, regardless, it can't be the Mangano, since it shows 15 minutes long...
Not sure if you're getting contamination from some other source, but everything on the Schedules Direct service is pointing at Joy, a short film about female circumcision. And I don't know what you mean by "full plot"; the full description we have is below.

Code: Select all

{
    "programID": "MV008416390000",
    "titles": [
        {
            "title120": "Joy"
        }
    ],
    "descriptions": {
        "description1000": [
            {
                "descriptionLanguage": "en",
                "description": "A Nigerian immigrant tries to stop her husband from circumcising their daughter."
            }
        ]
    },
    "genres": [
        "Drama"
    ],
    "contentAdvisory": [
        "Adult Situations"
    ],
    "movie": {
        "year": "2015",
        "duration": 900
    },
    "cast": [
        {
            "billingOrder": "01",
            "role": "Actor",
            "nameId": "286520",
            "personId": "282795",
            "name": "Bayo Akinfemi",
            "characterName": "gabriel"
        },
        {
            "billingOrder": "02",
            "role": "Actor",
            "nameId": "833033",
            "personId": "794477",
            "name": "Sope Aluko",
            "characterName": "Fimi"
        }
    ],
    "crew": [
        {
            "billingOrder": "01",
            "role": "Director",
            "nameId": "988659",
            "personId": "932357",
            "name": "Solomon Onita Jr."
        },
        {
            "billingOrder": "02",
            "role": "Screenwriter",
        },
        {
            "billingOrder": "03",
            "role": "Producer",
            "nameId": "988660",
            "personId": "932358",
            "name": "Elsie Dortelus"
        },
        {
            "billingOrder": "04",
            "role": "Cinematographer",
            "nameId": "988661",
            "personId": "932359",
            "name": "Mike Buchbauer"
        },
        {
            "billingOrder": "05",
            "role": "Film Editor",
        }
    ],
    "entityType": "Movie",
    "showType": "Feature Film",
    "hasImageArtwork": true,
    "md5": "j3x9hs9EZ+JBvxeFo8d5QQ"
}
And the link to the artwork:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirec ... _v5_aa.jpg

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:17 am

That's really odd. Haven't had mcupdate run on this machine for a long time, and cleaned it before installing EPG123. I did see it pop up a "full plot" in addition to the short summary this morning when I made the post. That no longer is getting displayed. Your artwork link is quite different from what I see... perhaps somehow the option in EPG123 to look it up in TMDB swapped it out... ? Dunno.
-Alan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:26 am

It's not mcupdate ... since this is a movie WMC is doing its calls to AMG (Rovi) for the extended data which kinda overrides the actors, characters, and image. It should only add the extended synopsis so I suspect the description is for Joy, while the extended synopsis and everything else is for the incorrectly matched Mangano?

This is one of the side effect I was expecting with epg123. If you recall, before epg123 and Rovi, the guide would match and display a Movie with extended data. If you noticed back then, the extended information was not permanently shown and would go back to what was original... it was a 1 time viewing. With epg123, I found out how to show the extended data always which is fine unless we match the wrong movie. This happened with this season of Survivor matching up with a movie "Survivor" from 2015 I believe.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:09 am

Wow, talk about a case study ... this one displays it for everyone to see. So here goes...

MAXHD has a short 15 minute movie Joy from 2015 ... so "Joy (2015)"

EPG123 decides the artwork provided by Gracenote is not what we want to see (not a Box Art or a Cover Art) so makes a call to theMovieDB. It has a solid match for "Joy (2015)", but it is certainly not the MAXHD short movie. So now we have a movie with the incorrect artwork.

WMC makes a call to AMG for the extended movie information and makes the same match as epg123 call to theMovieDB and adds the extended information as such.

Bottom line, sometimes the automated cool stuff is going to be wrong.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:12 am

Thanks for the info. I was aware that it would pull some info out of the other sources, was surprised about the cover art.
-Alan

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:42 pm

something went screwy with my recording schedule, media center started recording 4 shows at once non stop for days. None of the shows were in my Series list, it just kept recording new shows every single hour. had to wipe recording schedule

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Over the last few months, recording duplicates started happing. For example on Discovery channel (any channel with east/west shows, discovery, TLC, HGTV, etc), new shows, for example, show up at 8PM, media center will record it with no errors but, it comes on the west coast feed at 11pm, it will record that one as well. They are showed in the "Scheduled recordings" listing as 2 recordings (only NEW episodes are set for this). A few odd ball shows are not showing as New episodes, so it's not recording them.

Then in the guide, Once you list a Movie, the picture/cover art is 95% of the time wrong and a totally different image that the movie listed.

These types of issues are starting to get old...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012