Problems with pixelation, tiling, and dropping audio

chupon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problems with pixelation, tiling, and dropping audio

Post by chupon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:03 am

Hiall.

I started this over at silicon dusts city's because I thought this was related to the prime I use, but now I'm leaning more towards WMC as the culprit.

Basically I started getting really bad audio and visual quality drops on all channels, all times of day, starting about a week ago.

I've ruled out physical problems with cabling and my signal strength and signal quality are both 100%. Both the hd home run prime tool and Comcast confirm this.

My most recent test was to have the same channel side by side in the prime view program and WMC. When the issues appear in WMC, the prime view app is stable and Crystal clear.

I've tried resetting the WMC db but this didn't help. Is there anything else I can investigate? The quality is so bad some times programs are basically unwatchable for up to a solid minute.

Thanks

chupon

Post by chupon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:41 am

Ok now im getting weak tv signal in wmc as well while the signal is fine.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:54 am

Have a look at this picture, then go to the same place with your Prime. Just to the right of the Signal Strength 100% (what is your... dBmV) check a few of the channels that you are having trouble with.

1) Even though SD says the Signal Strength is 100%, the example in the picture, (+10.3 dBmV is far from ideal. The idea number to shoot for is 0.0 dBmV. The farther away from Zero you get, the closer you get to No Picture. I think the picture starts to fall apart around plus or minus 12 and totally disappears at around plus or minus 15. One of the common culprits is the splitter(s). For example...Assuming the signal is "a perfect (zero dBmV) on the way in, then it travels through three three-way splitters. By the time the signal gets to the output of the 3rd splitter, you would end up with -10.5 to the tuner. -3.5 X 3

2) The second possibility, Network Throughput, is more difficult to measure, but possible. If you want to see the facts and figures, try Pathtest.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 140#p90140 Also, you might see what's going on if you run Wireshark on the HTPC.
A couple other ideas...Make sure the tuner and the HTPC are both cabled to the same switch....Don't use a router as a switch....Try different NIC drivers on the HTPC. Use the manufacturers version rather than the Windows or Motherboard version

3) I cant think of any adjustments within WMC, other than in the setup, there is a test internet connection. Your issue is more likely in one of your switch's or switch ports.

4) Hard drive failing can give you Signal Symptoms also.
Attachments
SignalStrength001.jpg

chupon

Post by chupon » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Have a look at this picture, then go to the same place with your Prime. Just to the right of the Signal Strength 100% (what is your... dBmV) check a few of the channels that you are having trouble with.

1) Even though SD says the Signal Strength is 100%, the example in the picture, (+10.3 dBmV is far from ideal. The idea number to shoot for is 0.0 dBmV. The farther away from Zero you get, the closer you get to No Picture. I think the picture starts to fall apart around plus or minus 12 and totally disappears at around plus or minus 15. One of the common culprits is the splitter(s). For example...Assuming the signal is "a perfect (zero dBmV) on the way in, then it travels through three three-way splitters. By the time the signal gets to the output of the 3rd splitter, you would end up with -10.5 to the tuner. -3.5 X 3

2) The second possibility, Network Throughput, is more difficult to measure, but possible. If you want to see the facts and figures, try Pathtest.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 140#p90140 Also, you might see what's going on if you run Wireshark on the HTPC.
A couple other ideas...Make sure the tuner and the HTPC are both cabled to the same switch....Don't use a router as a switch....Try different NIC drivers on the HTPC. Use the manufacturers version rather than the Windows or Motherboard version

3) I cant think of any adjustments within WMC, other than in the setup, there is a test internet connection. Your issue is more likely in one of your switch's or switch ports.

4) Hard drive failing can give you Signal Symptoms also.
Thanks for the quick reply!

1. I think the strength is ok. The Comcast tech looked at the levels and didn't seem concerned. All the channels I've checked are between +5 or +6 dBmV.
2. I hadn't changed anything recently, but based on this part I checked and noticed my HTPC was on the switch whereas the HDHRP was on the router (airport extreme). I've moved them so they are both on the same network appliance. I'll monitor this and see if there's any change.
3. Thanks, yea I ran the tests in WMC and it seemed ok. Perhaps the port changes worked.
4. SMART data seems ok on all drives. Any other diagnostics that SMART doesn't show?

Again thanks, point 2 might have resolved it, but I'll check back tonight.

:clap:

chupon

Post by chupon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Well so far so good. Hopefully that's all I needed.

Again many thanks.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Having everything on one switch helps.

When you were testing side by side what was the configuration you were using for both devices?