Using EPG123 with logos

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
HTBruceM

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by HTBruceM » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 pm

STC wrote:Setup MCL last it will override EPG.
Probably moot at this point anyway since garyan2 is doing something different... But I believe the configuration options are in effect on subsequent schedule updates. As when you run EPG123 on a regular schedule without the -config argument (i.e. on your scheduled Windows task).

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:29 pm

garyan2 wrote:
STC wrote:They are inferior only inside WMC of course. They are actually nice HQ logos.
Agreed. To answer some questions, I think I'm going to go a different route and just make an external utility that will clear all the channel logos ... just like MCL's Remove all button. Those who don't have MCL will have this option and I am removing the SD logos checkbox from the config gui.
You can change the GUI from checkbox options to a combo. Provide four options:

1) Get from SD
2) Leave my existing logos the &*%$ alone
3) Get them from .\logos
4) Use only call signs

That way you can add new/additional options later and don't have to do this.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 pm

HTBruceM wrote:
STC wrote:Setup MCL last it will override EPG.
Probably moot at this point anyway since garyan2 is doing something different... But I believe the configuration options are in effect on subsequent schedule updates. As when you run EPG123 on a regular schedule without the -config argument (i.e. on your scheduled Windows task).
hmm, well that's how I have been handling it. Since the initial EPG config, I've just been running the task daily and since setting up MCL last, EPG has not overridden MCL.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:43 pm

STC wrote:hmm, well that's how I have been handling it. Since the initial EPG config, I've just been running the task daily and since setting up MCL last, EPG has not overridden MCL.
Me too, but it's because we have the checkbox "use SD logos" unchecked. If he would have changed the underlying functionality to be just a binary (1=use/override with SD logos, 0=remove all logos), we would have been screwed. We needed Gary to add a "one time remove all existing logos" button to satisfy the user who has leftover SD logos present and doesn't want to install MCL XL app to purge them.
If I'm reading it correctly :crazy:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:48 pm

HTBruceM wrote:
STC wrote:hmm, well that's how I have been handling it. Since the initial EPG config, I've just been running the task daily and since setting up MCL last, EPG has not overridden MCL.
Me too, but it's because we have the checkbox "use SD logos" unchecked. If he would have changed the underlying functionality to be just a binary (1=use/override with SD logos, 0=remove all logos), we would have been screwed. We needed Gary to add a "one time remove all existing logos" button to satisfy the user who has leftover SD logos present and doesn't want to install MCL XL app to purge them.
If I'm reading it correctly :crazy:
And that is the idea I toyed around with a bit. Decided the external utility to duplicate the "Remove all" button in MCL. Less risk of someone using MCL accidently overwriting all the MCL logos with SD logos.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

glorp

Post by glorp » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:45 am

RemoveAllLogos was successful. I have reverted to call signs after running. Thank you.

glorp

Post by glorp » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:20 pm

A bit of bad news.

Yesterday after you posted ResetAllLogos, I ran that once. When I looked at the schedule it seemed fine. The logos were gone and all channels had text call signs instead. So three things happened since then:

1) mcupdate ran a GC cycle last night
2) hours after that EPG123 did a scheduled update and loaded a new days' data.
3) the computer was shut down for a while to put the hardware in it's new case.

The first time I restarted WMC after that, here's what I saw below as proof that I have not gone off my rocker. It is some random, but same, image on each channel as the logo. I can't tell exactly what image that is. But if that isn't strange enough, I capped it for you so I could report it, closed WMC and then restarted WMC a few minutes later to look up something for this post. Now the guide is back to showing call signs again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:21 am

glorp wrote:A bit of bad news.

Yesterday after you posted ResetAllLogos, I ran that once. When I looked at the schedule it seemed fine. The logos were gone and all channels had text call signs instead. So three things happened since then:

1) mcupdate ran a GC cycle last night
2) hours after that EPG123 did a scheduled update and loaded a new days' data.
3) the computer was shut down for a while to put the hardware in it's new case.

The first time I restarted WMC after that, here's what I saw below as proof that I have not gone off my rocker. It is some random, but same, image on each channel as the logo. I can't tell exactly what image that is. But if that isn't strange enough, I capped it for you so I could report it, closed WMC and then restarted WMC a few minutes later to look up something for this post. Now the guide is back to showing call signs again.

Wow. When I was testing the program, I had a single channel do that to me ... not all, and like the problem just disappeared. I could never find a reason for it, and it appeared to be okay, so I let it go. I figured it was because the media center I was using has been a massive test bed for troubleshooting stuff on and the channel it appeared on wasn't even a real channel. It was added by Lineup Selector.

If it happens again, let me know. I would really like to get this corrected rather than advising to start over.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:02 pm

The problem with crazy logos repeated again. This time I can tell the graphic appears to be a show logo for "Survivor". Present on every channel (first two caps). Reverts to normal after closing and immediately reopening WMC (third cap). Not much of a problem to fix for me.

I restarted the computer yesterday as I had to install new firmware in my ETH6 and needed to reboot all WMC's after. That seems to be the commonality that I've noticed. First start of WMC after a reboot.

Image Image Image

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:44 am

glorp wrote:The problem with crazy logos repeated again. This time I can tell the graphic appears to be a show logo for "Survivor". Present on every channel (first two caps). Reverts to normal after closing and immediately reopening WMC (third cap). Not much of a problem to fix for me.

I restarted the computer yesterday as I had to install new firmware in my ETH6 and needed to reboot all WMC's after. That seems to be the commonality that I've noticed. First start of WMC after a reboot.
Still unacceptable. I'll look for another route to take.
- Gary

Ladislaus

Post by Ladislaus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 pm

In case anyone else is using the My Channel Logos XL (MCL) application along side EPG123, one of our own posted the following over in the MCL forum (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 11#p103011):
Scallica wrote:After switching to EPG123/SD, the music channels now have the correct call sign (MC01, MC02). However, MCL XL will not auto-populate the music channels. Suggestions?
As of the writing of this post, we are still waiting to hear back from makryger (author, if I'm not mistaken, as well as maintainer of MCL).

(Thank you Scallica for posting your query.)

glorp

Post by glorp » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:30 pm

glorp wrote:The problem with crazy logos repeated again.
^The same thing recurred today. This time there had been no reboot of the computer since the last time so that's not involved. Closing/reopening MC reverted the logos to call signs like before. Don't know what the logo was but they are always show logos. Didn't cap it this time as it's no different than before, just the same random logo on every channel.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:41 am

No longer a check box for 'Use SD Logos' ?

MCL has hiccuped and I would like to force SD to supply the missing ones again.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Rephrase: how do I go about enabling SD logos again now that the checkbox is no longer on latest revisions or am I missing something?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:36 pm

STC wrote:Rephrase: how do I go about enabling SD logos again now that the checkbox is no longer on latest revisions or am I missing something?
Right now, you would have to user v0.7.2 to get the SD logos again ... but this would overwrite all channel logos with SD logos. Is that what you want?

Also, haven't found a 100% sure way to remove the logos without using MCL.

EDIT: after you use v0.7.2 to get the logos back, you can move back to v0.7.5 and it will be fine. The logos will stay.
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks. Don't know what happened for MCL to prevent the SD logos from showing. I just ran a MCL logo update and repopulation.