MCE remote windows button not working

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCE remote windows button not working

Post by jachin99 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I am trying to configure my PC to launch applications when I press the windows button on my remote. The remote is a certified Microsoft MCE remote from a Dell m2010. I am trying to edit keyboard.xml files but I cannot even get the PC to see me press the button. I'm running windows ten on a stock dell desktop. I believe it is a dell 3847. I am guessing that step one in my troubleshooting would be to get the OS to see the button press which is why I am starting my fix in a windows dedicated forum. Thank you for the help.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:41 am

Have a look into something called Event Ghost.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 pm

I have toyed around with event ghost a little bit but I could not get consistent results. I had the keyboard emulator installed, and I used the newest MCE remote plugin. When I pressed the windows button, it would register the keystroke once, ( I think the button ID in the log screen was 016), then I had the keystroke would not show up. I had to uninstall and reinstall the MCE plugin to get it to register again but it did the same thing (only showing the keystroke once). I would like to have the green button either bring up my start menu, or launch Kodi at the operating system level without external programs but I know I cannot be too picky.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Some Remotes seem to have problems with Win10. You would think MCE Certified would be flawless. However MCE/WMC has been removed from 10, so that certification is somewhat useless now.

Others have reported that they have to press the Green Button "Twice" to open WMC.

I am using a $15 Rosewill cheapo, (I doubt it is certified), the Green Button works with 1 press.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:30 pm

I'm trying to get the button to open Kodi, or the start menu, but I would like a way to verify the OS sees my button press. When I did have WMC 10, it would launch the program. I have event ghost but I could not get that program to see thee key stroke every time either. It would see it once, then I would have to uninstall the mce remote plugin, and reinstall it in order to get the program to see it again. I had to do this everytime I pressed the green button if I wanted it to work. I am really set on using my Dell Gyration remote so another remote that might or might not work better isn't an option just yet. Any more ideas on how I would go about troubleshooting this or getting it to work?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:03 pm

USB drivers? Or maybe you need a Kodi Certified remote. What Does Krusty have to say?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:46 pm

The remote included dell drivers, and the Microsoft Ehome drivers. I'll give you a list just to try and make this easy

Under Human Interface devices I have this listed for the remote: Microsoft eHome Infrared Tranceiver

Under Keyboards it lists the following: Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard, Microsoft MCIR Keyboard, Microsoft eHome Remote Control Keyboard keys.

There aren't any entries under mice and other pointing devices. The remote itself is RF and IR, and in order to function with the PC, its users need a USB IR receiver, and what I am guessing is a USB RF receiver. As far as I am aware, I have both because the remote came with what is obviously an IR receiver, and a thumbdrive looking thing.
The remote has a gyration mouse function, an LCD screen that reads my media player classic library, and other than that, the basic WMC buttons, I.E. play pause, record, TV guide.
In terms of functionality, pause and play work in some programs but not others. Skip forward and back work in some programs and not others, and the remote seems fully functional in NextPVR but that is it. As I have mentioned before, the green button launched WMC 10 before but I uninstalled the program, and decided in favor of Kodi because it is actively developed. My primary goal is to get the green button to start a program, and I can try mapping the other keys within Kodi. Thank you for any help.