EPG no longer updating

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
samw5

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG no longer updating

Post by samw5 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Looks like my EPG stopped updating around 12/03/2015.

So far here is what I've attempted:

- Changed DNS to google public dns, connect directly to my ISP modem and attempt the refresh.
- re-run the TV setup. Getting error that the new TV setup data could not be downloaded.
- uninstalled/reinstall MCE addon
- statically add tv.
- ran mcupdate.exe -uf -pscn0 –dbgc
- Delete the mcepg db files
- try various zip codes
- disable/enable Windows firewall
- disable IPv6
- pulled my hair... hard
- rebooted along the ways

Still unable to pull the latest EPG. Server showing Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server).
I am able to get data.tvdownload.microsoft.com resolve properly via DNS so I can't imagine that's the issue.

Any other tips that I could try that doesn't involve me ordering a freaking TiVo?

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:08 pm

What country are you in? Are you actually running XP MCE, or what version of WMC? The only proven solution for TV setup data download failure is "try, try again." Microsoft servers are so slow these days that it's difficult to get definition updates for MSE, not to mention installing Windows Updates for December, which I had to divide into two installments.

samw5

Post by samw5 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Win8.1 USA pa zip 17363 but no other zips are working group either to be honest.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 pm

I know this sounds basic, but have you tried syncing the time? Check that the time on your computer is the same as http://time.gov

samw5

Post by samw5 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:04 am

Yup machine is actually part of a domain but I checked the make sure the DC was up to date....

Interestingly after resetting all the media center apps I am not even able to update the play ready plugging... keeps tossing error not having Internet connectivity which is bull since I have no issues getting anywhere from the box... and not using any particular av or firewall blocking apps.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:41 am

Mine just stopped too. Was working fine for about 3 months. Have 2 other computers on the network. Their guides seem to be updating ok. Uninstalled WMC and reinstalled. No luck. Tried different zip code. No luck. Some channels update but most do not. Guide updates some of the the big HD networks (not Fox) and some SD cable channels (MTV, VH1, etc). Don't know happened. Help!

samw5

Post by samw5 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:10 am

For what it's worth it reinstalled windows 8.1 added mce and TV tuner drivers and so far so good English came right up...
No idea what crapware may have done this but could waste any more time trying random things...

kwdreams

Post by kwdreams » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:19 pm

As of yesterday my WMC guide will not update . It says the guide has successfully updated, but when I go to the guide it has no information available??? help