OTA using a kworld tuner stick

loguvna

HTPC Specs: Show details

OTA using a kworld tuner stick

Post by loguvna » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 pm

hello members,

referred here by a friend. i have some basic understanding, having worked with beyondTV back in the day with firefly remote, hauppauge car, directv box with serial cable, and windows xp.

today, I am dropping uverse, and have media center working on a hauppage pc card. i can't get 2 channels in dallas - ABC and PBS. So, i tried a kworld tuner stick, which picks up those channels on its own player software. but i can't configure this to work with media center. maybe its kworld not being friendly, but most likely its my set up choices.

if anyone can advise, let me know. i'm not married to either car - actually, prefer sending them both back and starting with a new car, HDTV over the air, and with more than 1 tuner.

thanks -glad to be here
chris
dallas

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Pasted from an Amazon question and answer about the kworld tuner:
Yes, works great with WMC in Vista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1, etc. If you get the "no tuner installed" message make sure that the USB is fully plugged in and that an antenna is connected that will up at least one channel -- then you may have to rerun "Setup" in WMC (rerun the complete initial setup for WMC -- not just the TV settings) and the Kworld should be detected. Some have pointed out that .net framework 4.0 installed in Windows is required for the Kworld to work in WMC -- I already had .net framework 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 installed in Windows, so I did not have this problem.

loguvna

Post by loguvna » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:34 pm

thanks for the legwork Dave - my google skills need help.

i checked cables and connections - which brought me back to....it was working, receiving 69 channels with its player and scan. and WMC recognized the card, and went through its process as well. And, I do have .net 4.0 installed.

moving on.
went back to microcenter and now have a new stick, hauppauge dual tuner 01595. one coax, and I suppose it splits it inside this tiny housing. i'm running setup now. WMC liked hauppauge before - hoping it likes this guy. besides dual tuner, this is both analog and digital. from what else i have learned, ABC and PBS both broadcast analog while the rest of dallas switched to digital.

stay tuned.
g