mpeg4 top edge of picture "mirrored" lines in video

tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

mpeg4 top edge of picture "mirrored" lines in video

Post by tzr916 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Seen this on several mpeg4 channels and/or shows, but not all. Along the top edge of the show are some black lines of video, then above the black area are some lines of video that contain what appears to be mirror image of the content that is in the video itself (maybe the bottom few lines). These lines at the very top move and change and are colored the same as the video. I have played back the videos on WMC PC, echo extenders, ZoomPlayer, JriverMC. It's always there, on every playback method. Here is just one example (copy/save and zoom in to the top):

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Looks to me like the information data emebedded in the stream. It's on all signals and only visible when overscan is disabled. There's nothing you can do about it, it's supposed to be there (if that's what it is).

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Ed  wrote:Looks to me like the information data emebedded in the stream. It's on all signals and only visible when overscan is disabled. There's nothing you can do about it, it's supposed to be there (if that's what it is).
No this is NOT closed caption data. That looks completely different. For one thing, that is black and white.

These lines are in full color and mirror the video playing below.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:45 pm

tzr916 wrote:
Ed  wrote:Looks to me like the information data emebedded in the stream. It's on all signals and only visible when overscan is disabled. There's nothing you can do about it, it's supposed to be there (if that's what it is).
No this is NOT closed caption data. That looks completely different. For one thing, that is black and white.

These lines are in full color and mirror the video playing below.
Yeah, I see now. Still, looks it might be embedded in the stream/unavoidable. Do you have a way of checking if it's the same on the Cable Co equipment (i.e. you have a STB form the Cable Co - not a DVR, and can disable overscan or hope the box doesn't overscan if not adjustable?). I mean if it is in the stream - you only option is enabling overscan or getting them to fix the stream on their end (if that is the case).