Music Library error: There are no items in this library yet

mikerocosm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Music Library error: There are no items in this library yet

Post by mikerocosm » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:23 pm

Recently, I blew up the BIOS on my motherboard and had to replace it (the motherboard: the BIOS chip was going to take too long). The only other change I made at the time was to change out my media-storage drive with a pair of larger drives controlled by a PCIE RAID card, the drives working as RAID 1, same drive letter and name as before.

BUT, now my Windows Media Center refuses to find any of the Music in the Music Library, giving the message found in the subject line of this post. At first, it wasn't finding any of the Recorded TV, even though the programs were there on the drive, but I solved that problem by sorting out the "Library" issues, where there was a bad pointer buried in the file structure. I have looked for days (weeks?) for a similar (or ANY) problem with the Music (which is on the same drive as the TV and Pictures) library or its cognates. I have cleaned up and simplified the Library structure, tried deleting and rebuilding the WMP databasees, unloading and reloading WMC and WMP, reset the registry references for WMP to always point to WMP 12 (Oh, and by the way, WMP doesn't find ANYTHING, no matter what I've done.). I've set up simple test folders on each drive with a few Albums in them, but the Music never gets found. I've reset the default program to open music files to WMP (from iTunes), and followed every lead I could find on the interweb down each and every rabbit hole, and NO DICE!

By way of indicating my experience level (and in the process, no doubt embarrassing myself) I'll say that I am retired from running networks and supporting PC users for the US government for 30 years, so I like to think I know what I'm doing, but I'm stumped, and here I am pleading for a hand, if there is one to be had.

Clearly, this problem has been happening for years to lots of people, and there have been a number of solutions, none of which work for me. Some folks have just given up and gotten a Tivo. I don't want to do that, especially since a Tivo won't play my music. I probably should mention that I'm using an InfiniTV-4 tuner and have a couple of Ceton Echoes and an old HP extender box, and they all show the same stuff and similar lack of ability to coax Music into the system as the HTPC box.

To be perfectly clear, in WMC, everything works but the Music remains undiscoverable; and in WMP (sister programs, sharing databases, I hear) nothing is ever found.

Anybody have any ideas?

Mike

mikerocosm

Post by mikerocosm » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Apparently, someone changed the subject line of this post, thus rendering useless my reference to it in the text, to wit:

BUT, now my Windows Media Center refuses to find any of the Music in the Music Library, giving the message found in the subject line of this post.

That subject line was: There are no items in this library yet

mikerocosm

Post by mikerocosm » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Nobody? It's hard to imagine that this problem is unique to me, or is it just that no one has ever found a solution, and is just living with the malfunction? I guess we're all just waiting for the end . . .

Best regards,
Mike