v0.9.7 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

v0.9.7 Release

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:44 am

New version out tonight.

A few improvements to address issues we really didn't know we had (live pre- and post- sports shows as Repeats) ... read all about them at http://epg123.garyan2.net.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 08, 2016 2:09 am

TYVM.

FYI just threw it on and it dinged that a newer version is available...
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:13 am

STC wrote:TYVM.

FYI just threw it on and it dinged that a newer version is available...
The response from schedules direct hasn't been updated yet ... response right now is 0.9.6 so this is expected.
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 08, 2016 2:24 am

That makes sense. The price to pay for early 'adoption' ;)

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun May 08, 2016 2:43 am

Awesome! Sports shows are now showing as LIVE instead of Repeats. Excellent work!

glorp

Post by glorp » Sun May 08, 2016 3:27 am

renamed executable from epgAutomatch.exe to epg123Client.exe to reflect new role
Arrgh.
moved WMC database functions into epg123Client for whole home configurations
Meaning? Reindex not needed from external launch?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:47 am

glorp wrote:
renamed executable from epgAutomatch.exe to epg123Client.exe to reflect new role
Arrgh.
moved WMC database functions into epg123Client for whole home configurations
Meaning? Reindex not needed from external launch?
epg123.exe handles the mxf file generation and the cache cleanup.
epg123Client.exe handles the loadmxf import, the ehprivjob.exe for the reindex, and the guide automatch/refresh functions.

EDIT: the ehprivjob to reindex is automatic if the import function is used.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:55 am

BTW glorp, the epg123Client.exe will log itself in the trace.log file along with epg123.exe.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Sun May 08, 2016 5:41 am

garyan2 wrote:epg123Client.exe handles the loadmxf import, the ehprivjob.exe for the reindex, and the guide automatch/refresh functions.
Where does it get the UNC path to the mxf? I run epg123.exe on the server with load option off to generate the mxf. I have to manually run loadmxf on a client and then run epgAutomatch to get matching. To still get automatching I will have to run epg123Client.exe but it will also (apparently) want to do loadmxf for me as well? So how is it going to do that unless I can tell it where to find the file that's not on its local drive? There has to be an option either in gui or the .cfg for the mxf path now.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 am

glorp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:epg123Client.exe handles the loadmxf import, the ehprivjob.exe for the reindex, and the guide automatch/refresh functions.
Where does it get the UNC path to the mxf? I run epg123.exe on the server with load option off to generate the mxf. I have to manually run loadmxf on a client and then run epgAutomatch to get matching. To still get automatching I will have to run epg123Client.exe but it will also (apparently) want to do loadmxf for me as well? So how is it going to do that unless I can tell it where to find the file that's not on its local drive? There has to be an option either in gui or the .cfg for the mxf path now.
The epg123Client is stand-alone and is called with parameter switches. The following command imports the mxf file, performs the automatch, and executes the reindex job. This is how a "epg123.exe -update" will call the file for a normal, local update.

epg123Client.exe -i "\\SERVER\epg123\epg123.mxf" -match

The only file needed on the client is the epg123Client.exe executable...everything else is on the server.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Sun May 08, 2016 2:54 pm

OK then. No need for a client batch file at all anymore. I'll just run epg123Client.exe local from the client's scheduled task instead. Too late for today to upgrade. Tomorrow will tell but I have a bunch of reconfig to do on all the MCs first. You still using schtasks.exe for running the reindexing scheduled task or are you running ehPrivJob directly in epg123Client.exe? As I recall there were some permissions issues w/ the latter route.

Thanks.

EDIT: One other thing: The only reason you have W7 and W8 versions is because of stuff in epg123Client.exe IIRC? So even though my server is Win 8.1, I really only need W7 package for all installations as clients are all Win7. Correct? I can use epg123.exe from W7 for the server since it is no different and I don't need epg123Client.exe to run on server.
^^NVM. Figured it out from the CRCs of the files. epg123.exe is the same between versions, so all I need is the W7 package.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm

glorp wrote:OK then. No need for a client batch file at all anymore. I'll just run epg123Client.exe local from the client's scheduled task instead.
That was the idea. Makes it a pretty simple implementation.
glorp wrote:You still using schtasks.exe for running the reindexing scheduled task or are you running ehPrivJob directly in epg123Client.exe? As I recall there were some permissions issues w/ the latter route.
I'm still using ehPrivJob ... have been for quite a number of versions. The idea was to capture any errors and logging them in the trace file. I don't recall permission problems; may have missed that. If everyone can keep an eye on that, we may change it back to the schtasks which will also make the running epg123 task much quicker.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Sun May 08, 2016 6:26 pm

epg123Client relies on nothing from the .cfg file and it's presence is optional? The -i switch presence is the flag to actually load and the state of the <AutoImport> option is just to tell epg123 whether to add -i to the call if it were to do it?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:45 pm

glorp wrote:epg123Client relies on nothing from the .cfg file and it's presence is optional? The -i switch presence is the flag to actually load and the state of the <AutoImport> option is just to tell epg123 whether to add -i to the call if it were to do it?
Right. Based on the autoimport and automatch selections in epg123 GUI, the switches added to the epg123Client call will be added. The reindex is automatic upon successful import.

AutoImport => -i "epg123.mxf"
AutoMatch => -match
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 08, 2016 7:32 pm

So, since update last night I'm noticing some movies in guide without covers that had them before the update. What specific data would you require to troubleshoot? My son is watching right now so can't do anything until later.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:42 pm

STC wrote:So, since update last night I'm noticing some movies in guide without covers that had them before the update. What specific data would you require to troubleshoot? My son is watching right now so can't do anything until later.
I'm working on that right now. I believe what is happening is I am archiving (in the guideImages.xml file) a temporary link to json.schedulesdirect.org which is eventually moved to the amazon servers. Since the image link is "archived", epg123 doesn't capture the updated/permanent link. Will be fixed in next release.

If the missing art is too much a hassle, you can delete the guideImages.xml file and update to force a rebuild of the images.
- Gary

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun May 08, 2016 9:32 pm

garyan2 wrote:
STC wrote:So, since update last night I'm noticing some movies in guide without covers that had them before the update. What specific data would you require to troubleshoot? My son is watching right now so can't do anything until later.
I'm working on that right now. I believe what is happening is I am archiving (in the guideImages.xml file) a temporary link to json.schedulesdirect.org which is eventually moved to the amazon servers. Since the image link is "archived", epg123 doesn't capture the updated/permanent link. Will be fixed in next release.

If the missing art is too much a hassle, you can delete the guideImages.xml file and update to force a rebuild of the images.
Love your attention to detail. Appreciate all the hard work.

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 08, 2016 9:59 pm

^ Yeah, ditto on that DOS thing (more Peabody quotes...)

Thank you.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:58 am

Turns out epg123 was okay for the artwork, just inefficient. rkugalow had to "kick" a server that wasn't doing what is was supposed to. Hopefully things got cleared up.

The new code I added to "fix" this will stay ... makes it more efficient.
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon May 09, 2016 3:14 pm

garyan2 wrote:
glorp wrote:OK then. No need for a client batch file at all anymore. I'll just run epg123Client.exe local from the client's scheduled task instead.
That was the idea. Makes it a pretty simple implementation.
All the clients did a successful import/match/reindex today using epg123Client. Results were logged in trace.log again. Is the plan to add some configurable way to add the scheduled task for just clients or is that something better left up to the user to do for the Whole Home option? Just curious what you're thinking.