Indexing would not start & 10,000 channels appear

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Indexing would not start & 10,000 channels appear

Post by scyto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:13 am

Great app, just found it. I had real issues get the index to work ehpriv job would not complete. The solution was to delete and rebuild the whole Windows search index. Makes me wonder if a corrupt index was root of some other issues too.

I am in US 98033 with cable tv - is it normal to have ten thousand channels in the edit guide screen in WMC?

Glad auto match disabled them....

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Was the indexing job not starting, or erroring out? The index job can take a long time sometimes, especially on the first update.

For the 10000 channels, yes it is normal for CableCARD users ... when you deny the schedule TOS, WMC doesn't download the lineup information containing all the "active" channels. So instead of nothing, you get all possible channels and that is absolutely why epg123 disables the channels automatically.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks, the job started according to the epg123 log. However no indexing was happening at all (my index had 5m items in it) and epg123 never said anything after launching ehpriv - I waited an hour in one case. I tried kicking it a few times with epg123. Once I deleted the search index and forced a full reindeer of all my search sources it indexed very quickly and guide appeared I didn't even need to kick it with eg123 - I only have 153 channels enabled and Mxf is about 70mb.

After it was all ok my 2am auto schedule worked - took 6mins to complete.

I started down this path because I had lots of no tuner available errors and someone suggested to delete the epg databases, I saw epg123 when researching so decided if I am deleting databases i would try it. I have not had any tuner errors so far (I was getting then every few hours).

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:38 pm

garyan2 wrote:
For the 10000 channels, yes it is normal for CableCARD users ...
Thanks for confirming, I was worried I had messed up!
I assume there is no API for you to call that could hide those empty numbers?

PS thanks for great tool.
Alex/Scyto

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:39 pm

You could use GuideTool to remove them, but if you cable provider adds more channels, then you would have to reset your channel guide back up.
scyto wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

Alex/Scyto

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:48 am

scyto wrote:
garyan2 wrote:

Alex/Scyto
The only thing I want to do with the empty numbers is to disable them so they won't show in the guide. The only way to "hide" them would be to delete them and like choliscott said, if your provider decides to use one of them then you will have to add it back in somehow.
- Gary

scyto

Post by scyto » Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 am

Does this change your thinking, if we have ability to auto add channels can we have option of not having 10k channels?

there is a new option to automatically download newly added stations to your lineups
for CableCARD users, this means it will also be automatically added to your guide if automatch is enabled
there will be an alert in the trace.log file to identify any new channels regardless of choice to auto download or not

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:31 am

scyto wrote:Does this change your thinking, if we have ability to auto add channels can we have option of not having 10k channels?

there is a new option to automatically download newly added stations to your lineups
for CableCARD users, this means it will also be automatically added to your guide if automatch is enabled
there will be an alert in the trace.log file to identify any new channels regardless of choice to auto download or not
I guess I should clarify on this. When I talk about automatically adding the channel to your guide, I really mean enabling that channel number. EPG123 does not have the ability to create a channel on your tuners, it only subscribes a station to a tuner channel and enables/disables the channel in the guide.

So if a new station is added to a lineup on channel 1234, but channel 1234 does not exist, then nothing will happen. On the other hand, if channel 1234 does exist and is simply empty/disabled, then epg123 will subscribe the new station to channel 1234 and enable it to be seen in the guide.
- Gary