FR: Premiers (Carried over from the General WMC Guide forum)

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Space wrote:Awesome feature!

EDIT: Can you separate TV show premieres from movie premieres?

In other words, I might want to see both season and series premiers in one list, but not have movie premiers in that list.

No big deal if it is not easy, you can just do separate queries for season and then series premieres.
Yah, I was going to point that out ... before the movie premieres you could easily just select "All" to see both series and season. Adding movies in the mix confuses things a bit. If I take movies out, then the only option would be to make "Premiere" as a movie Genre. Information will be there, just in a different location.

EDIT: I guess another option would be to just have a Movie Premiere and a Series Premiere category and just go ahead and combine the series and season premieres.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:10 pm

By the way ... populating the Season Premiere and Series Premiere flags has this benefit in Ceton MMC. The star indicates a Series Premiere.
Screenshot_2016-04-24-11-07-50[1].png
EDIT: I guess I will also say that the flags are yet more undocumented flags of the mxf file which is why I hadn't used them before.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:15 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Space wrote:Awesome feature!

EDIT: Can you separate TV show premieres from movie premieres?

In other words, I might want to see both season and series premiers in one list, but not have movie premiers in that list.

No big deal if it is not easy, you can just do separate queries for season and then series premieres.
Yah, I was going to point that out ... before the movie premieres you could easily just select "All" to see both series and season. Adding movies in the mix confuses things a bit. If I take movies out, then the only option would be to make "Premiere" as a movie Genre. Information will be there, just in a different location.

EDIT: I guess another option would be to just have a Movie Premiere and a Series Premiere category and just go ahead and combine the series and season premieres.
That works too! Which brings up a question. Can the Series Premieres appear both as a Category itself and as a sub category of Series?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 pm

garyan2 wrote:By the way ... populating the Season Premiere and Series Premiere flags has this benefit in Ceton MMC. The star indicates a Series Premiere.
EDIT: I guess I will also say that the flags are yet more undocumented flags of the mxf file which is why I hadn't used them before.
That'll work in WMC too?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:By the way ... populating the Season Premiere and Series Premiere flags has this benefit in Ceton MMC. The star indicates a Series Premiere.
That'll work in WMC too?
The Series and Season Premiere flags, along with Series and Season Finale flags, are a part of the WMC database ... just not documented as part of the MXF file. As far as guide presentation, they don't look like they have any benefit...but it sure looks like Ceton MMC pays attention to them to get the above. I'm glad I noticed it since I was going to not include the flags in the mxf file to save a little space.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:40 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
That'll work in WMC too?
The Series and Season Premiere flags, along with Series and Season Finale flags, are a part of the WMC database ... just not documented as part of the MXF file. As far as guide presentation, they don't look like they have any benefit...but it sure looks like Ceton MMC pays attention to them to get the above. I'm glad I noticed it since I was going to not include the flags in the mxf file to save a little space.
Me too! This will be a really useful feature and have a lot of WAF around here..

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Me too! This will be a really useful feature and have a lot of WAF around here..
and really, isn't that why we are all here? the WAF? :o :lol:
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:43 pm

A happy WAF is a happy LAF. Now getting her to use the Insteon kit properly or put the handbrake on and close the sunroof, that's another matter....
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:59 pm

STC wrote:A happy WAF is a happy LAF. Now getting her to use the Insteon kit properly or put the handbrake on and close the sunroof, that's another matter....
Yes. She never sets the parking brake and INSISTS that I stop using it in "her" car.

She likes it open in bright sun. To me, it is a distraction to my primary task of DRIVING THE CAR!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

So is a new release ready for us to play?

Thanks..

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Sammy2 wrote:So is a new release ready for us to play?

Thanks..
Itchin' for something that rhymes with itchin' premieres, are we? Sorry, got caught up on a new request in the Bugs thread ... zoom setting based on HD flag. Also been working on the New/OAD question again to see if I can get something that is viable. I might get something out tonight for ya.

I'm still a little hung up on what the final product will look like for Premieres.

Option 1:
Premieres
- Movie Premiere
- Series Premiere (series & season combined)

Option 2:
Premieres
- Season Premiere
- Series Premiere
Movies
- Premiere (show up as a genre in movie search)

Option 3:
Premieres
- Movie Premiere
Series
- Season Premiere
- Series Premiere
Movies

A problem with option 3 is at a minimum, a season premiere will have the following keywords:
Series, Premieres, Series Premiere, Season Premiere ... plus whatever keywords that belong (sitcom, drama, crime, etc). It can get a little crowded.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:48 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:So is a new release ready for us to play?

Thanks..
Itchin' for something that rhymes with itchin' premieres, are we? Sorry, got caught up on a new request in the Bugs thread ... zoom setting based on HD flag. Also been working on the New/OAD question again to see if I can get something that is viable. I might get something out tonight for ya.

I'm still a little hung up on what the final product will look like for Premieres.

Option 1:
Premieres
- Movie Premiere

Option 2:
Premieres
- Season Premiere
- Series Premiere
Movies

Option 3:
Premieres
- Movie Premiere
Series
- Season Premiere
- Series Premiere
Movies

A problem with option 3 is at a minimum, a season premiere will have the following keywords:
Series, Premieres, Series Premiere, Season Premiere ... plus whatever keywords that belong (sitcom, drama, crime, etc). It can get a little crowded.
I read all that an I'm not so sure that it zooms based on flag but rather on the actual content but I may be wrong..

Is it not possible to have it like this? Probably extra coding for sure but may be more flexible.

Categories
--Movies
----Movie Premieres

--Premieres
----Movie Premieres
----Series Premieres
------Pilots
------Season

--Series
----Series Premiere
------Pilots
------Season

Or can it not be nested three levels so it has to be combined??

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I read all that an I'm not so sure that it zooms based on flag but rather on the actual content but I may be wrong..
I duplicated what was described. I actually had a true HD program zoom on me because the HD flag was not set. I would say this is something that Miscrosoft never finished ... it looks like they did some preliminary work in identifying those channels with "isHDCapable".
Sammy2 wrote:Or can it not be nested three levels so it has to be combined??
Can't do; only 2 deep.
- Gary

garymeter48

Post by garymeter48 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Option 2 gets my vote! I use the Premier feature in MMC every week. Something that I've noticed in MMC since I started using the new guide service is that when looking at Premiers it 'appears' to me that MMC is only looking at the next two weeks of guide, even though I download all 21 days each day. Can anyone else confirm this?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:11 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I read all that an I'm not so sure that it zooms based on flag but rather on the actual content but I may be wrong..
I duplicated what was described. I actually had a true HD program zoom on me because the HD flag was not set. I would say this is something that Miscrosoft never finished ... it looks like they did some preliminary work in identifying those channels with "isHDCapable".
Interesting. This is a good thing to look into I suppose. Maybe this is why I sometimes get what is obviously not HD filling the entire screen on, say, GOLHD (HD feed of GOLTV) when watching soccer. From the standpoint that you are doing development, I basically have all my SD channels disabled now except for a scant few that are only in SD like local sports and government channels but when one zooms those to fill the screen one takes a crappy picture and amplifies it into further crappiness.
garyan2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Or can it not be nested three levels so it has to be combined??
Can't do; only 2 deep.
OK. Well I like having them in a Premiers Category because they will get lost under TV Shows or Movies Categories so something like this?

Category
--Premieres
----Series Pilots
----Series Seasons
----Movies

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:17 pm

garyan2 wrote:...

Option 1:
Premieres
- Movie Premiere

Option 2:
Premieres
- Season Premiere
- Series Premiere
Movies

Option 3:
Premieres
- Movie Premiere
Series
- Season Premiere
- Series Premiere
Movies

I like option 2 or 3.

I assume that the Premieres section in option 2 and the Series section in option 3 also have an "All" option to list matches for all the suboptions (both Series and Season premieres in one list)?

Also, if a program is marked "Series premiere" then I think that it should NOT also be marked as "Season premiere" (even though technically it is one). "Series premiere" should not be a subset of "Season premiere", they should be mutually exclusive.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 am

Space wrote:I assume that the Premieres section in option 2 and the Series section in option 3 also have an "All" option to list matches for all the suboptions (both Series and Season premieres in one list)?
Yes/No. The "All" option in the Series category will include all series categories as well, basically show everything.
Space wrote:Also, if a program is marked "Series premiere" then I think that it should NOT also be marked as "Season premiere" (even though technically it is one). "Series premiere" should not be a subset of "Season premiere", they should be mutually exclusive.
They are exclusive. The field provided by SD/Gracenote is a string containing "Season Finale", "Season Premiere", "Series Finale", or "Series Premiere". There can be only one.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 am

garyan2 wrote:
Space wrote:I assume that the Premieres section in option 2 and the Series section in option 3 also have an "All" option to list matches for all the suboptions (both Series and Season premieres in one list)?
Yes/No. The "All" option in the Series category will include all series categories as well, basically show everything.
Space wrote:Also, if a program is marked "Series premiere" then I think that it should NOT also be marked as "Season premiere" (even though technically it is one). "Series premiere" should not be a subset of "Season premiere", they should be mutually exclusive.
They are exclusive. The field provided by SD/Gracenote is a string containing "Season Finale", "Season Premiere", "Series Finale", or "Series Premiere". There can be only one.
OK, then my vote would be for option 2.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:15 am

Yeah, given the limitations of only having two subcategories and then only two choices under each (sub)category, the configuration in option 2 are the best choice.

Now that "Finales" have been brought up that looks to be a neat addition to the category search.

:P

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:13 am

Sammy2 wrote:Yeah, given the limitations of only having two subcategories and then only two choices under each (sub)category, the configuration in option 2 are the best choice.

Now that "Finales" have been brought up that looks to be a neat addition to the category search.

:P
Now how did I know that was coming? :roll: Option 2 it is, along with a small consolation prize... movie premieres are first in the list.
_premiere_.png
EDIT: actually I think it works a lot better in the Movie Guide.
_premiere_2.png
- Gary