FR: Premiers (Carried over from the General WMC Guide forum)

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

FR: Premiers (Carried over from the General WMC Guide forum)

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Continued from here.
garyan2 wrote:I was looking at Program Details from the guide. I believe you were looking at the program details from the scheduled recordings (why you see the OAD and I didn't).

The premieres section is how I found "Containment" ... hadn't even heard of it so thought I'd take a look. I'll take a look at getting a Premiere category in epg123 again. Wasn't as easy as anticipated ... I still have a couple versions to go before v1.0.0!

EDIT: read a little more of your post/question. The panel on the left of guide is untouchable ... I would only be able to make a Premiere category in the search to provide what you are looking for.
Rather than continue to go OT in that forum, I'm starting a new thread..

It really sucks that that part of the guide is not accessible to developers to add in but you can add in Favorites. Is there a way to force the Favorite Line up to show premiers? Somehow Ceton was able to get it into their app but that is outside WMC and must be just by reading the mxf file?

If not, then what are you proposing to do to make a Premiere Category? Would that be in the Search > Keyword part of the WMC Guide?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:44 pm

I think the placement of the Premiere would be Search > Category. When I was using xmltv files to create the mxf, it was easy to include a premiere category, basically due to the order in which the file was constructed.

MMC picks up "Premieres" based on episode number, not the premiere flags or anything like that. So in their listing, premieres include repeats from 4 years ago as well as actual new premieres. Epg123 categorization will be a little more accurate.

Speaking of MMC, what is up with their season/episode display ... they pick up the episode number, but all season numbers are 0?
Screenshot_2016-04-21-22-20-22[1].png
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:30 am

garyan2 wrote:... premieres include repeats from 4 years ago as well as actual new premieres. ...
I need to correct myself here. Ceton MMC doesn't go by the episode number, it truly uses the Premiere flag from WMC and is truly a Series/Season Premiere.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:30 pm

garyan2 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:... premieres include repeats from 4 years ago as well as actual new premieres. ...
I need to correct myself here. Ceton MMC doesn't go by the episode number, it truly uses the Premiere flag from WMC and is truly a Series/Season Premiere.
How did you find out this?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:35 pm

garyan2 wrote:I think the placement of the Premiere would be Search > Category. When I was using xmltv files to create the mxf, it was easy to include a premiere category, basically due to the order in which the file was constructed.

MMC picks up "Premieres" based on episode number, not the premiere flags or anything like that. So in their listing, premieres include repeats from 4 years ago as well as actual new premieres. Epg123 categorization will be a little more accurate.

Speaking of MMC, what is up with their season/episode display ... they pick up the episode number, but all season numbers are 0?
Screenshot_2016-04-21-22-20-22[1].png
I believe that they inadvertently truncated the last digit. Does something in season 10 or beyond show just the numeral "1"?

BTW I have contact information for Motz aka James, the developer of that app. Maybe he can fill you in.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Sammy2 wrote:How did you find out this?
I just did a quick compare between the Premiere flags in the mxf file and what MMC was showing. Sure enough, they all had the premiere flags set.
Sammy2 wrote:I believe that they inadvertently truncated the last digit. Does something in season 10 or beyond show just the numeral "1"?

BTW I have contact information for Motz aka James, the developer of that app. Maybe he can fill you in.
That may help. I'd like to close the loop on this one. I purposely recorded a show that was in Season 14, and it still showed as Season 0 in MMC. All the episodes are showing correctly; i.e. episode 44 shows as episode 44 in MMC. Don't think there is any truncating going on.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:03 pm

garyan2 wrote:
I just did a quick compare between the Premiere flags in the mxf file and what MMC was showing. Sure enough, they all had the premiere flags set.
Sammy2 wrote:I believe that they inadvertently truncated the last digit. Does something in season 10 or beyond show just the numeral "1"?

That may help. I'd like to close the loop on this one. I purposely recorded a show that was in Season 14, and it still showed as Season 0 in MMC. All the episodes are showing correctly; i.e. episode 44 shows as episode 44 in MMC. Don't think there is any truncating going on.
I sent him a message on Google Hangouts. PM your email and I'll send it to him.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Any preferences out there on where to put the Premieres? Screen caps below are making the Premiere category a primary with series and season premieres as sub-categories. The con to this method is I believe the Premieres category will exist regardless of whether there are any premieres in the lineup or not and can be empty. The pro is that it is obvious and easy to locate.

Alternative method would be to have a Premiere sub-category below Series and could be lost among the large number of sub-categories.
category.png
permieres.png
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:09 pm

garyan2 wrote:Any preferences out there on where to put the Premieres? Screen caps below are making the Premiere category a primary with series and season premieres as sub-categories. The con to this method is I believe the Premieres category will exist regardless of whether there are any premieres in the lineup or not and can be empty. The pro is that it is obvious and easy to locate.

Alternative method would be to have a Premiere sub-category below Series and could be lost among the large number of sub-categories.
category.png
permieres.png
That looks great to me! Is it possible to have Movie Premiers too or is the data not there or not able to be utilized in WMC?

THANKS!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Movie premieres might be even more tricky, but should be able to do it. Didn't realize anyone would even pay attention to Movie premieres.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:23 pm

garyan2 wrote:Movie premieres might be even more tricky, but should be able to do it. Didn't realize anyone would even pay attention to Movie premieres.
Maybe not a lot of people but we have the full set of Premium Channels in our CableTV line up so there's a lot of Movie Premiers. If it is too much a pain that is okay because catching new TV Series is much more important..

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:25 pm

I guess I should also point out that since it is the program being categorized as a premiere, then there will probably be multiple listings of the premiere show as in the below. The same will be true for movies. Once the premiere has been broadcast and the guide updated, then the premiere repeats will no longer be a part of the premiere category.

Not as pinpoint as MMC gives us. Sorting by name will give a list of all shows that have a premiere in your lineup; sorting by date will show all the premiere programs of the original broadcast as well as repeats. Still quite useful.
dupes.png
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:27 pm

NICE!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Here you go.
allpremieres.png
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:24 pm

garyan2 wrote:Here you go.
allpremieres.png
Insane!! That is so cool. Try getting that from Rovi or Microsoft!!!

Is the background code to ferret out the premiers working or in progress?
I smell a new release coming out soon.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:26 pm

^ and just to point out that a movie premiere really just means that this is the first time that specific station has shown that specific movie. The same movie can have many different premieres across many different stations. It's a little odd and is why I never did anything with that information before.

It is fully functional as of right before I posted that snapshot.
Last edited by garyan2 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:27 pm

garyan2 wrote:

TGB messaging system kept giving me errors so I shot you an email..

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:28 pm

garyan2 wrote:^ and just to point out that a movie premiere really just means that this is the first time that specific station has shown that specific movie. The same movie can have many different premieres across many different stations. It's a little odd and is why I never did anything with that information before.

It is fully functional as of right before I posted that snapshot.
Doubly insane!!

As far as movie premiers go, you're dealing with what you get for data and having something is probably better than nothing IMHO.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Awesome feature!

EDIT: Can you separate TV show premieres from movie premieres?

In other words, I might want to see both season and series premiers in one list, but not have movie premiers in that list.

No big deal if it is not easy, you can just do separate queries for season and then series premieres.
Last edited by Space on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Two :thumbup:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123