epg123 v0.9.5 release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garnuts

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garnuts » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 am

STC wrote:I had same playready problem on a test box. The fix was to remove and re add WMC.
I did uninstall/reinstall WMC per the Wiki instructions, and I also tried w/o uninstalling WMC, and still had the Play Ready issue.

I was going back and forth between the Wiki instructions and garyan2.net, trying different things. Since those two sets of instructions don't exactly match it was not clear what was best?

So, yes maybe killing the Wiki instructions and replacing them with a copy of the new/latest .pdf instructions would be better.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:12 am

garnuts wrote:So, yes maybe killing the Wiki instructions and replacing them with a copy of the new/latest .pdf instructions would be better.
Yea, the wiki instructions are extremely stale. I deleted the wiki page.

Gary - can you put the EPG123 instructions PDF file on your website somewhere? Then, we can post a link on the forum and anyone can grab the latest instructions at anytime. Something like:

http://epg123.garyan2.net/epg123_Guide.pdf
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:30 am

rkulagow wrote:
21 days of guide data is great, I just wondered why is was not showing 30.
We (Schedules Direct) will always have at least 14 days. For some stations with fixed schedules, you can see that the window goes out much further. In your particular bouquet, it looks like 21 days is the max. I've seen up to 25 days, but that's pretty rare.

21 days is better than _no_ days. :)
Should I go ahead and make the dial max out at 21? If the data is never expected to be there for 30, then let's not give any false impressions that it is. I'm a simple 15 day kind of guy, myself ... I think looking out further than that is generally not worth it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 am

STC wrote:I see you went the extra mile with the pdf instructions.

Our Wiki is very much out of date now. Perhaps we should kill the old instructions and refer directly to you.
Yah, sorry about that. I actually threw that pdf together yesterday afternoon. It is the reason why it was so late when I posted the release of 0.9.5 ... wanted it to be at least usable. I still need to scrub my own site as well to get rid of the old guide data.

I can probable pretty quickly just disconnect the current guide pages and link the pdf file. Probably have that done tonight or tomorrow.
- Gary

STC

Post by STC » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:30 am

garnuts wrote:...So, yes maybe killing the Wiki instructions and replacing them with a copy of the new/latest .pdf instructions would be better.
Apologies. Development has been at a rapid rate, the wiki became outdated very quickly.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:29 am

Scallica wrote:
garnuts wrote:So, yes maybe killing the Wiki instructions and replacing them with a copy of the new/latest .pdf instructions would be better.

Gary - can you put the EPG123 instructions PDF file on your website somewhere? Then, we can post a link on the forum and anyone can grab the latest instructions at anytime. Something like:

Close. The link to the pdf is actually http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf :thumbup:
- Gary

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:16 am

Regarding the new ABOUT information...

The Guide identifiers require more than one line of text, resulting in truncation on the right edge. If there is something relevant out there it certainly cannot be seen when presented horizontally as it is.

Might this not be better produced vertically, on multiple lines, one lineup per line?

I have two lineups in my setup, one for OTA/ATSC in Los Angeles 90292, and a second for TWC/LA Hollywood DigitalCable. I think it would be useful to provide detailed info/ID for each of the lineups in the setup. That is what the MS Guide ABOUT shows I believe, details on all lineups used by the tuner cards in the machine.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:55 am

DSperber wrote:Regarding the new ABOUT information...

The Guide identifiers require more than one line of text, resulting in truncation on the right edge. If there is something relevant out there it certainly cannot be seen when presented horizontally as it is.

Might this not be better produced vertically, on multiple lines, one lineup per line?

I have two lineups in my setup, one for OTA/ATSC in Los Angeles 90292, and a second for TWC/LA Hollywood DigitalCable. I think it would be useful to provide detailed info/ID for each of the lineups in the setup. That is what the MS Guide ABOUT shows I believe, details on all lineups used by the tuner cards in the machine.
Not possible in this case. That is why the lineup title is "EPG123 Lineups with Schedules Direct". What we are doing with epg123 is combining all the lineups you are subscribed to and combining it into one. It would only be doable if I create a separate mxf file for each lineup which will need its own unique identifier, numeric only, and not a valid Rovi lineup id.

As far as multiple lines, I tried. I tried every language I could think of to insert a new line/carriage return and got no change. Actually it looked like it worked but only the first line of each field is visible.
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Scallica wrote:

Close. The link to the pdf is actually http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/epg123_Guide.pdf :thumbup:
Thanks! I put the link in an alert bulletin at the top of the EPG123 forum.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm

STC wrote:
garnuts wrote:...So, yes maybe killing the Wiki instructions and replacing them with a copy of the new/latest .pdf instructions would be better.
Apologies. Development has been at a rapid rate, the wiki became outdated very quickly.
I don't think that apologies are necessary.. Anyone following along got the information needed I suppose but new comers might get confused by the "old" (What is it a month?) directions. There's no way to keep a wiki up to date if you're not revising it every day. Kudos to garyan2 for getting this done and stable in such a short time.

When's v1.0.0 coming out?

groovejumper

Post by groovejumper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:58 pm

garyan2 wrote:
groovejumper wrote:Is this the version that addresses the multiple channel instances for folks with HDHomeRun's? I'm still using 0.7.6 and was waiting for that change before upgrading (what I have now seems to work reasonably well but the multiple instances has messed us up on busy recording nights).

Also, my setup is a bit complicated so I need to commit a number of hours to get everything going - as a Canadian I have to do an extra step to enable ATSC tuners (2x HDHomeRun's, 4 tuners), also a Colossus (so I need to do a full setup for the satellite tuner, back it up, do another setup for EPG123, and restore the lineup file). Which is why I'm waiting to do the next upgrade...

g.
Yes, this version doesn't make the same mistake as 0.9.4 with multiple tuners, and it also removes any duplicate tuners in the channels (cleans up after 0.9.4). I wish I had known the duplicate tuners were actually causing an issue out there ... I would have pushed out a quick fix quite a while ago. Sorry.

If your setup is up and running with 0.7.6, you can just drop in 0.9.5 and keep going. Is there a reason you expect to do your setups again with the upgrade?
I'm not 100% sure - now that I've re-read the explanations of the multiple tuner issue (which I definitely have), I'm wondering if I'm also experiencing something else, which is manifesting as multiple instances of my OTA channels in the guide (like 2x 2.1, etc).

What I had done initially was enable ATSC for Canada (there's another MXF that I import to do that), then run TV setup normally to get my Colossus working, backup the lineup mxf, then start over at step 0 (importing the lineup mxf again).

I'm thinking that enabling ATSC first may be what resulted in the duplicate channels? (not to mention the automatch piece wasn't available when I did this so maybe that would've solved it, not sure). I'm sure there's a way to get everything in place, just having some difficulty figuring out the right order to do it all.

Anyway, I'm going to try starting with just dropping in the new exe, if that doesn't take care of it all, next step would be starting fresh I guess.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 am

Scallica wrote:Thanks! I put the link in an alert bulletin at the top of the EPG123 forum.
Awesome...thank you!
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:54 am

Sammy2 wrote:When's v1.0.0 coming out?
It's gonna have to be soon ... I'm running out of numbers! Really depends on when mostly everybody is happy with it ... though I'm seeing a possible 2.0 :shock: I'll just need to take a hiatus for a little while after this one. :D
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 am

groovejumper wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
groovejumper wrote:Is this the version that addresses the multiple channel instances for folks with HDHomeRun's? I'm still using 0.7.6 and was waiting for that change before upgrading (what I have now seems to work reasonably well but the multiple instances has messed us up on busy recording nights).

Also, my setup is a bit complicated so I need to commit a number of hours to get everything going - as a Canadian I have to do an extra step to enable ATSC tuners (2x HDHomeRun's, 4 tuners), also a Colossus (so I need to do a full setup for the satellite tuner, back it up, do another setup for EPG123, and restore the lineup file). Which is why I'm waiting to do the next upgrade...

g.
Yes, this version doesn't make the same mistake as 0.9.4 with multiple tuners, and it also removes any duplicate tuners in the channels (cleans up after 0.9.4). I wish I had known the duplicate tuners were actually causing an issue out there ... I would have pushed out a quick fix quite a while ago. Sorry.

If your setup is up and running with 0.7.6, you can just drop in 0.9.5 and keep going. Is there a reason you expect to do your setups again with the upgrade?
I'm not 100% sure - now that I've re-read the explanations of the multiple tuner issue (which I definitely have), I'm wondering if I'm also experiencing something else, which is manifesting as multiple instances of my OTA channels in the guide (like 2x 2.1, etc).

What I had done initially was enable ATSC for Canada (there's another MXF that I import to do that), then run TV setup normally to get my Colossus working, backup the lineup mxf, then start over at step 0 (importing the lineup mxf again).

I'm thinking that enabling ATSC first may be what resulted in the duplicate channels? (not to mention the automatch piece wasn't available when I did this so maybe that would've solved it, not sure). I'm sure there's a way to get everything in place, just having some difficulty figuring out the right order to do it all.

Anyway, I'm going to try starting with just dropping in the new exe, if that doesn't take care of it all, next step would be starting fresh I guess.
I think we may be talking 2 different things. The duplicate tuners is having 8 tuners assigned to a single channel when there is only 4. I believe you are talking 2 duplicate channels with the same tuners.

duplicate tuners: station 2.1 with tuners A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D
duplicate channels: station 2.1 with tuners A, B, C, D and another station 2.1 with tuners A, B, C, D

The problem with 0.9.4 was it created the duplicate tuner issue. I believe your issue with the duplicate channels was self induced when you imported a lineup that already included the ATSC channels. Version 0.9.5 will not take care of that ... I would suggest using Guide Tool to delete the duplicate channels.
- Gary

groovejumper

Post by groovejumper » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:12 am

garyan2 wrote: I think we may be talking 2 different things. The duplicate tuners is having 8 tuners assigned to a single channel when there is only 4. I believe you are talking 2 duplicate channels with the same tuners.

duplicate tuners: station 2.1 with tuners A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D
duplicate channels: station 2.1 with tuners A, B, C, D and another station 2.1 with tuners A, B, C, D

The problem with 0.9.4 was it created the duplicate tuner issue. I believe your issue with the duplicate channels was self induced when you imported a lineup that already included the ATSC channels. Version 0.9.5 will not take care of that ... I would suggest using Guide Tool to delete the duplicate channels.
Ok thanks. Yes I suspected it was two different issues after I re-read everything. I definitely have both issues, multiplied. When I look at edit sources, I see 8 tuners instead of 4. When I look at the guide, I see two instances of 2.1 (and others).

I did try Guide Tool but couldn't get things exactly right.

I know when to fold 'em. Gonna start fresh....