FR: Enhance Guide Listings from thetvdb.com

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Paint

HTPC Specs: Show details

FR: Enhance Guide Listings from thetvdb.com

Post by Paint » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:42 am

garyan2,

I want to thank you so, so much for creating EPG123. You have literally saved my Ceton 6-tuner Win 7 x64 setup on FIOS.

Zap2it guide listings are much better than the Rovi guide listings for me, but there are still some errors that sometimes occur with season and episode numbers.

Would it be possible for you to integrate enhanced episode information importing from thetvdb.com? I see you already added some fanart enhancements from themoviedb.

Thank you again for all of your hard work - especially with the latest version v0.9.2, it works flawlessly.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:59 am

Paint wrote:garyan2,

I want to thank you so, so much for creating EPG123. You have literally saved my Ceton 6-tuner Win 7 x64 setup on FIOS.

Zap2it guide listings are much better than the Rovi guide listings for me, but there are still some errors that sometimes occur with season and episode numbers.

Would it be possible for you to integrate enhanced episode information importing from thetvdb.com? I see you already added some fanart enhancements from themoviedb.

Thank you again for all of your hard work - especially with the latest version v0.9.2, it works flawlessly.
Before I was doing SD-JSON, I was using their xml service (SD-DD) which doesn't include the artwork. I tried to make up for it by using the tvdb API, but it just proved too unreliable. You can search tvdb based on the Gracenote series id, but there were a lot of inaccuracies and a lot of series don't have that field populated to search against.

The big thing about season and episode numbers is for Gracenote there is no such thing as a special/Season 0. If there is a 5 minute "catch-up" presentation of a series after episode 10, Gracenote will report that as being episode 11 while tvdb will stick it in with the specials.

What enhanced episode information are you looking for?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Paint

Post by Paint » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:06 am

garyan2 wrote:
Paint wrote:garyan2,

Before I was doing SD-JSON, I was using their xml service (SD-DD) which doesn't include the artwork. I tried to make up for it by using the tvdb API, but it just proved too unreliable. You can search tvdb based on the Gracenote series id, but there were a lot of inaccuracies and a lot of series don't have that field populated to search against.

The big thing about season and episode numbers is for Gracenote there is no such thing as a special/Season 0. If there is a 5 minute "catch-up" presentation of a series after episode 10, Gracenote will report that as being episode 11 while tvdb will stick it in with the specials.

What enhanced episode information are you looking for?
I am just speaking generally. I sometimes find certain shows like @midnight on Comedy Central do not properly have the Series, Episode # or even the name up until the showtime - this even occurs with zap2it. My post-processing of WMC files sometimes causes an issue which moves and renames the files incorrectly because of this.