EPG123 & Hauppauage Collossus Anyone? Tuner Not Available

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
fzy8gc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by fzy8gc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:59 am

fzy8gc wrote:I'll take this on for us. Since I am already up and running with ROVI, I'll do the dirty build first. It may be a few days before I can work this in.

Assumptions:
1. I use the v0.9.9 build.
2. I now follow the regular build procedure.

Jim
Here's the results:
The "dirty" build executed with no runtime errors.
After adding the missing OTA channels: 3.1-13.4, I ran epg123 v0.9.9 with no errors.

However, when I went to edit my guide list there were no satellite channels.

In an effort not to go back to Rovi, I copied the a backup lineup file from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome\mcepg2-x\backup\lineup\. Renamed the copied file to lineup.mxf and placed in the epg123 directory. I then executed "C:\Windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i c:\users\%username%\downloads\epg123\lineup.mxf".

I now had the satellite stations (minus channel 116 A&E), but I also doubled all my OTA channels. I used the Guide Tool to delete all the OTA channels not associated with a turner. I then ran epg123 again to make sure there were no run time errors.

According to the Guide Tool, some of the OTA channels have a double association with a turner. I am concerned this may cause an issue when recording with both OTA turners simultaneously. I'll do some further testing on this tomorrow.

I cleared all the series information that was still there and re-scheduled all my series. It seems to be working. I have already successfully recorded an OTA and Satellite recordings scheduled via a series. I'll report back in a couple of days after the schedule has been updated a few times.

I would still like to get channel 116 back in the linup. Perhaps a manual channel add similar to the digital ATO channel add feature can be worked out.

FYI, this system has a dual FusionHDTV7 turner card for OTA and a Colossus card connected to a Dish Network 211k set top box via component cables for video and a fiber optic cable for sound.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:40 am

fzy8gc wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:I'll take this on for us. Since I am already up and running with ROVI, I'll do the dirty build first. It may be a few days before I can work this in.

Assumptions:

Jim
Whoa!!!! Sorry, the Colossus capability is not in v0.9.9 ... it is in the version I am currently working on. The plan is to give you the exe file to try out.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 am

KenL wrote:I can test a clean start.

BTW will this coexist with ATSC tuners?
I just got it to work, but it is kinda a weird setup. Have all you HD PVR folks always had to jump through hoops to get things working? Either way, I got it working but will try to get the routine as simple as possible.

And yes, that is 9999 digital cable or satellite channels along with the ATSC scanned channels using the Hauppauge Media Center Service (with HD PVR) and 2 SiliconDust dual tuners.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 am

fzy8gc wrote:Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
I don't think I'm going to have anything for you to work with real quick. I would suggest you perform a new setup (normal with Rovi and no lineup restore) with settings->TV->TV Signal->Set Up TV Signal. Once all your tuners are set up, then run epg123 to push Rovi out of the way to give you a good guide to work with.

I'll get as much done as I can to get the test software out to you, but I'm working on only 3 hours of sleep right now. It may be Wednesday/Thursday before I'm ready.
- Gary

KenL

Post by KenL » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:28 am

garyan2 wrote:I just got it to work, but it is kinda a weird setup. Have all you HD PVR folks always had to jump through hoops to get things working? Either way, I got it working but will try to get the routine as simple as possible.

And yes, that is 9999 digital cable or satellite channels along with the ATSC scanned channels using the Hauppauge Media Center Service (with HD PVR) and 2 SiliconDust dual tuners.
The initial Hauppauge "scan" is definitely an unusual process but once you get it down it's fairly reliably repeatable.

HD homeruns along with the Hauppauge software tuner will be great! I've also used various internal ATSC tuners but the dual HD homeruns seem to do better when Colossus is in the mix.

Thanks again for looking into this... no hurry of course.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:46 am

Clean installs, with and without additional ATSC tuners, is proving easier than expected. I may have this out pretty soon. 8-)
- Gary

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:57 pm

garyan2 wrote:
fzy8gc wrote:

Assumptions:

Jim
Whoa!!!! Sorry, the Colossus capability is not in v0.9.9 ... it is in the version I am currently working on. The plan is to give you the exe file to try out.
Not a problem. I am getting proficient at switching guide systems. I am back to Rovi awaiting your beta executable.

Jim

KenL

Post by KenL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:39 am

garyan2 wrote:Clean installs, with and without additional ATSC tuners, is proving easier than expected. I may have this out pretty soon. 8-)
That's big news if it *works* on other machines!!?

That should mean Colossus/HDPVR users will be able to configure inputs/tuners now/in the future free of dependence on the MS/Rovi setup server!?

With all channels working w/ correct sources and setup as easy as (EPG)123. :thumbup: :thumbup:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 am

Prepare to be amazed. I just sent KenL and fzy8gc links to the test software and by all my testing, everything looks really good.

Cross those fingers, toes, arms and legs ... we are almost to v1.0.0!
- Gary

KenL

Post by KenL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am

I got the beta version but I'm not seeing any Colossus/HDPVR specific instructions.

What is the new approach and how does it work?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:52 pm

KenL wrote:I got the beta version but I'm not seeing any Colossus/HDPVR specific instructions.

What is the new approach and how does it work?
There is an updated Guide in the package with an additional step on page 3 for the Clean Start which references page 9 for what is needed.

EDIT: Okay, I'm a dufus. I forgot to include the updated guide in the package. I'll have to do that remotely, so I'll send you guys a link to the new guide when I have a change.
- Gary

KenL

Post by KenL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks.

I'm still prepared to be amazed once I learn the crucial step. :D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:57 pm

KenL wrote:Thanks.

I'm still prepared to be amazed once I learn the crucial step. :D
Okay, sent you a link to the updated guide. :oops:
- Gary

KenL

Post by KenL » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:50 pm

The early indications are I'm AMAZED!

Don't want to speak too soon, after just a brief test of Colossus only but that is really slick!

Seems to work... 9999 channels. 118 and all! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:57 am

Some unexpected events with the dirty install. I believe I found a cure, but time will tell.

fzy8gc: I sent you a PM with some additional directions to see how it looks on your end.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:39 am

I think I'm going to have to throw in the towel for a dirty install of epg123 with a HD PVR/Colossus software tuner. I can temporarily get you a perfect guide, but as soon as WMC calls the MS servers, either the extra channels disappear or all 9999 are enabled in the guide. The only way to have a stable guide is to either prevent WMC from calling home, or completely eradicate MS/Rovi from the database.
- Gary

KenL

Post by KenL » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:44 pm

The good news is the clean install seems to be stable (so far) and *should* be simple enough at this point anyone can do it in (15?) minutes. :)

I'll know more in a week or so after using it for a bit longer... but of course keep the casting call open for additional Colossus/HDPVR users who want to beta test this fix. That leads to another question I thought of: I wonder how this solution (clean install?) behaves for those using more than one Colossus and/or HDPVR per machine? Media Center apparently merges the multiple Colossus/HDPVR tuners as multiple sources per channel, like cable card. But theoretically how would the EPG123 Colossus "scan" behave in that scenario? Same as MC/Rovi? This fix seems to behave perfectly for the standard single Colossus per machine which should be most of us. I'm half tempted to test two cards per machine but I thought I would ask first.

You have done a great job on this! I'm still pondering the implications it's such a game changer for Colossus/HDPVR users to potentially take full advantage of the numerous benefits/features of EPG123. 8-) 8-)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:01 am

KenL wrote:The good news is the clean install seems to be stable (so far) and *should* be simple enough at this point anyone can do it in (15?) minutes. :)

I'll know more in a week or so after using it for a bit longer... but of course keep the casting call open for additional Colossus/HDPVR users who want to beta test this fix. That leads to another question I thought of: I wonder how this solution (clean install?) behaves for those using more than one Colossus and/or HDPVR per machine? Media Center apparently merges the multiple Colossus/HDPVR tuners as multiple sources per channel, like cable card. But theoretically how would the EPG123 Colossus "scan" behave in that scenario? Same as MC/Rovi? This fix seems to behave perfectly for the standard single Colossus per machine which should be most of us. I'm half tempted to test two cards per machine but I thought I would ask first.

You have done a great job on this! I'm still pondering the implications it's such a game changer for Colossus/HDPVR users to potentially take full advantage of the numerous benefits/features of EPG123. 8-) 8-)
I believe the clean install with Colossus is totally safe and that is really going to be the only method to use; not just for Colossus/HDPVR, but for everyone else as well.

I would certainly love to know what a multiple Colossus/HDPVR setup looks like. Anyone out there with multiple Colossus/HDPVR tuners care to share the contents of their C:\ProgramData\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService folder? I took a guess on how it might look and work, but have no idea. The capability may already be built into the beta software right now.

And good point about testers ... any other Hauppauge software tuner folks want to give this a try as well and help with the cause?
- Gary

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Did a clean build. WMC found 10,070 channels. 71 channels being OTA. When I went to execute step 3, epg123 prematurely exists after fetching M5ds data for 1081 stations. It fetched all the information but exits after processing just over 7,000. No error messages seen before the window closes.

Any suggestions?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:06 pm

fzy8gc wrote:Did a clean build. WMC found 10,070 channels. 71 channels being OTA. When I went to execute step 3, epg123 prematurely exists after fetching M5ds data for 1081 stations. It fetched all the information but exits after processing just over 7,000. No error messages seen before the window closes.

Any suggestions?
Is there anything in the trace.log file? I've heard of it going this if there is something wrong with the cached md5 file.
- Gary