Record Series not Honoring Show Type: New (Generic Desc.)

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Jim-W

HTPC Specs: Show details

Record Series not Honoring Show Type: New (Generic Desc.)

Post by Jim-W » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 am

I'm not sure if this is even an EPG123 issue but, (and I could be wrong) I don't remember this happening pre-EPG123 with Zap2It or even after the Rovi change over.

If I Record a Series and select Show Type: New, WMC records just the new shows... perfect, but WMC also records episodes that have generic descriptions even though they don't have an original air date.

Pawn Stars is a good example, I select Show Type: New and it weeds out all the reruns that have a description and original air date, but does not weed out the episodes that have generic descriptions so I end up with like 40 recordings I don't want.

Not sure what's going on but seems like it should be no date, no record.

Thanks

Win 8.1
EPG123
Ceton InfiniTV PCIE 6
Verizon FIOS CableCard
Correct Time Zone, Date and Time

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 am

That is actually how it is supposed to work.

If a given airing does not have ESI (Episode Specific Information), then it is recorded just to be safe (as it may be a new episode/one you want to record).

The real problem is why aren't those episode without ESI not being updated with ESI?

If you look here:
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/pawn-st ... aid=zap2it

You can see that all episodes up until 4/2 @ 8pm ET have ESI ("No Episode Title" that isn't a hotlink indicates it has no ESI *), and I assume that those episodes will eventually be updated.

If you have episodes before that 4/2 episode without ESI, then you may be having issues with epg123 updates.

* Note that the 4/6 10pm ET episode also has "No Episode Title" but it is a hotlink, that means that it does have ESI, but just doesn't have an episode title.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:09 am

^what Space said. The risk of missing a valid new episode is much greater than the inconvenience of having to delete a show that was actually a repeat.

I would be much more concerned if we find that epg123 is not updating from a generic description when the valid ESI is available and downloaded ... that would mean I missed the mark.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:22 am

After comparing different zip codes on the Zap2It site for the same lineup (Verizon FIOS Keller, TX), our zip code has more no date/generic episodes than say Dallas (we are a suburb of Dallas). They should be the exact same lineup but apparently the data is not.

So, I'll switch to a better zip code and shorten my guide data to 10-12 days. Ugh, what a pain.

Thanks for the help and happy to say it's not an EPG123 issue!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 am

Just some clarification ... are you saying you are actually recording Pawn Stars shows with generic information, or that Pawn Stars episodes that have generic information are just scheduled to record in the future? If the former, than either the ESI was never updated, or epg123 is not working as expected. If the latter, then this is really a non-issue. When the ESI information is updated for the future episodes, if it is a repeat it will no longer be scheduled to record (on guide updates, the scheduled recording are reevaluated).

You shouldn't need to reduce the number of days to collect guide data ... the episode information will eventually be updated with proper information.
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:58 am

garyan2 wrote:Just some clarification ... are you saying you are actually recording Pawn Stars shows with generic information, or that Pawn Stars episodes that have generic information are just scheduled to record in the future? If the former, than either the ESI was never updated, or epg123 is not working as expected. If the latter, then this is really a non-issue. When the ESI information is updated for the future episodes, if it is a repeat it will no longer be scheduled to record (on guide updates, the scheduled recording are reevaluated).

You shouldn't need to reduce the number of days to collect guide data ... the episode information will eventually be updated with proper information.
Thanks for clearing that up, episodes that have generic information are scheduled to record in the future and epg123 is working as expected. There is a problem with missing guide data for my zip code so I will change that.

As far as reducing the number of days, I'm set to 25 days, and when setting Forensic Files to record WMC froze for like 10 minutes and it turned out to have over 400 episodes to record. So I may reduce the number of days.

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:00 am

Jim-W wrote:... setting Forensic Files to record WMC froze for like 10 minutes and it turned out to have over 400 episodes to record.
Yah, that could get old real quick ... wow. :shock:
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:14 am

garyan2 wrote:Yah, that could get old real quick ... wow. :shock:
You should have seen me trying to record the FX back to back The Simpsons, Every Episode Ever on a weak i3 machine. :wtf:

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:35 am

Jim-W wrote:...
Thanks for clearing that up, episodes that have generic information are scheduled to record in the future and epg123 is working as expected. There is a problem with missing guide data for my zip code so I will change that.

As far as reducing the number of days, I'm set to 25 days, and when setting Forensic Files to record WMC froze for like 10 minutes and it turned out to have over 400 episodes to record. So I may reduce the number of days.

Thanks!
Normally episodes with generic data get updated with ESI within about 10 or so days before airing, but it can take longer. If you have your settings so that you get 25 days worth of data, you will have a lot more episodes without ESI simply because the further in the future the episode airs, then less likely it is to have ESI (yet).

I was a little confused when you said different zip codes have missing guide data, because the History channel is the History channel and the lineup should not make a difference (unless it is east coast feed vs. west coast feed, etc.), but I think you are actually talking about a separate subject in that the lineup for one zip code is missing channels vs. the lineup for a different zip code.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:44 am

Space wrote: Normally episodes with generic data get updated with ESI within about 10 or so days before airing, but it can take longer. If you have your settings so that you get 25 days worth of data, you will have a lot more episodes without ESI simply because the further in the future the episode airs, then less likely it is to have ESI (yet).

I was a little confused when you said different zip codes have missing guide data, because the History channel is the History channel and the lineup should not make a difference (unless it is east coast feed vs. west coast feed, etc.), but I think you are actually talking about a separate subject in that the lineup for one zip code is missing channels vs. the lineup for a different zip code.
After getting some sleep and looking at this closer you're right Space, but I AM seeing inconsistencies between the 75002 Zap2It site and my WMC Guide.
http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... =TX64967:X

Guide updated today at 2am, trace.log not showing any errors except the approved app thing.

So far I've found

Has descriptions and first aired dates on Zap2It.com but not in WMC Guide
CH 628: Wed, Mar. 30, 9:00PM
CH 628: Thu, Mar. 31, 1:01AM

CH 687 LOGOHD: Almost every program is wrong in WMC.

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:40 pm

There is a possibility that Zap2it has updated since your last EPG123 update. If you are going to compare zap2it to WMC you should run epg123 right now and then restart ehome to make sure the latest guide is showing in WMC. then do your compare to zap2it

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:50 pm

I know that particular Pawn Stars episode was not in the guide (on Rovi at least) 3 days ago, since the Rovi download is having problems again and it hasn't updated since then and it is not in my WMC. But since you are using epg123 (and therefore Gracenote) I would think it should be updated on your system, but it may have just been added recently, so you should allow at least 8 hours (I think) after first seeing it on zap2it for it to show up in Schedules Direct (I don't have an SD account, so can't check).

As for LOGO HD, that channel was just added recently to the FiOS lineup (it hasn't even been added to my lineup on zap2it yet, and I also have FiOS). But I am not sure what you mean by almost every program being wrong.

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:29 pm

If the schedule is incorrect then please open a ticket at the Schedules Direct website as an "Other" lineup issue.

Jim-W opened a ticket with us and I sent him what's on the server so that we can determine if this is a Jim-W issue or a Schedules Direct issue.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:43 pm

@ Space We've had Logo here for a very long time, I'm thinking over a year.

@ rkulagow Ticket #13570 we've been communicating. Great support which is very much appreciated.

EDIT:
@ Space but I think LOGO high def is pretty new.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:58 am

Is the schedule problem with Gracenote? or something in epg123?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, level of support from SD is encouraging.
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:20 am

garyan2 wrote:Is the schedule problem with Gracenote? or something in epg123?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, level of support from SD is encouraging.
Not sure where the problem is yet.

Today Sat, Mar 26 at 12:27AM CST the guide says:
LOGO Ch. 187 - Saturday Night Live, Host Charles Barkley; Alicia Keys performs. Which is right and what is playing.
LOGOHD Ch. 687 - Saturday Night Live, Blake Lively hosts; Rihanna performs. Which is wrong and not what's playing.
187 (low def) and 687 (high def) should be the same. Host Charles Barkley; Alicia Keys performs, is playing on both channels.

EDIT: And LOGOHD Ch. 687 is wrong Until 5:00 am. Then both 187/687 (according to Zap2It.com) look wrong starting at 8:30 pm.

The occasional missing data from Pawn Stars episodes still exists in the WMC guide.

tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings has none of these issues.

For the heck of it I deleted EPG123\cache, epg123.mxf, guideimages.xml and re-ran epg123/Lineup Selector... no help.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:34 am

I just loaded your lineup with LOGO and LOGOHD and they all match descriptions with "Blake Lively hosts; Rihanna performs." ...

I have generic descriptions for Pawn Starts on 3/30 @ 7PM, 4/2 5PM & 9:01PM, 4/6 @ 7PM and on (out to 4/7) ... look about like what you have?

EDIT: for your timezone is 3/30 @ 9PM, 4/2 7PM & 11:01PM, 4/6 @ 9PM -
Last edited by garyan2 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:38 am

garyan2 wrote:I just loaded your lineup with LOGO and LOGOHD and they all match descriptions with "Blake Lively hosts; Rihanna performs." ...
My LOGOHD is showing Taylor Lautner hosts; Bon Jovi performs.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe in Lineup Selector?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:51 am

Is your clock off, that episode starts in 10 minutes. There is nothing lineup selector can do for this ... time entries are imported in zulu time; lineup selector just matches services with guide channels.
- Gary

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:55 am

Clock is right, time zone is right