Getting ready to switch to EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Getting ready to switch to EPG123

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:27 pm

I think it is about time for me to get on board. Today's lack of guide data past March 19 in WMC and you guys reports of what are basically non-issues is the kicker for me.

I mean, this looks like it is pretty polished and at RC status from what I'm reading here.

[Moderator note: topic split from EPG123 bug thread]

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:31 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I think it is about time for me to get on board. Today's lack of guide data past March 19 in WMC and you guys reports of what are basically non-issues is the kicker for me.

I mean, this looks like it is pretty polished and at RC status from what I'm reading here.
Yea, takes about 15 minutes and $6 or $25 to subscribe to SD, plus a variable amount of time re-adding series recordings. The end result is accurate and complete guide data and no download failures.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... tle=EPG123
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:34 pm

^Agreed. It is certainly possible to revert from EPG123 as well since you can always repeat Step 0 then just proceed with normal, MS TV Setup. The only loss is scheduled series recordings that have to be re-set up.

webminster

Post by webminster » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:37 pm

I'd say it's working pretty well. at least on my test box for the last 2 weeks or so. Is effectively no longer a question of "if", but "when", I pull the trigger. I hate poking sticks at my main HTPC because it gets mad and punishes me terribly for changes... but the current Rovi/MS issue may be last straw anyway.
-Alan

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:41 pm

webminster wrote: I hate poking sticks at my main HTPC because it gets mad and punishes me terribly for changes.
That's what system images are for. :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how ... windows-7/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Scallica wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I think it is about time for me to get on board. Today's lack of guide data past March 19 in WMC and you guys reports of what are basically non-issues is the kicker for me.

Yea, takes about 15 minutes and $6 or $25 to subscribe to SD, plus a variable amount of time re-adding series recordings. The end result is accurate and complete guide data and no download failures.

There is also a 7 day free trial if you just want to try it out.

Re-adding Series can only be done if there is at least one episode from that series in the listings. If not, you will just have to remember to add it when it appears in the listings again. You can also keep your old Series (along side your new Series), if your plan is to go back to the Microsoft feed once the crisis is over. Perhaps change something on the new Series to differentiate them easily (like the retention period, assuming you use the same retention period for all your Series normally (e.g. set them to "Keep until watched" instead of "Keep until I delete")). Of course doing this requires you to not wipe out your database when converting to EPG123.

You could also just make an image backup before you convert to EPG123 and revert to that old backup when you want to go back to Microsoft's feed (assuming you don't record any protected programs during that time (but you might also be able to copy the DRM files and restore them on the old image to fix that, but may be getting too complicated...)).

My plan is to just set up manual recordings if it comes to that (until it is fixed).

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Space wrote:
Scallica wrote:

There is also a 7 day free trial if you just want to try it out.

Re-adding Series can only be done if there is at least one episode from that series in the listings. If not, you will just have to remember to add it when it appears in the listings again. You can also keep your old Series (along side your new Series), if your plan is to go back to the Microsoft feed once the crisis is over. Perhaps change something on the new Series to differentiate them easily (like the retention period, assuming you use the same retention period for all your Series normally (e.g. set them to "Keep until watched" instead of "Keep until I delete")). Of course doing this requires you to not wipe out your database when converting to EPG123.

You could also just make an image backup before you convert to EPG123 and revert to that old backup when you want to go back to Microsoft's feed (assuming you don't record any protected programs during that time (but you might also be able to copy the DRM files and restore them on the old image to fix that, but may be getting too complicated...)).

My plan is to just set up manual recordings if it comes to that (until it is fixed).
I want to switch for more than this recent debacle on the part of Microsoft. Once I do it I don't think I'm going back but will make an image just in case.

That said, how do you not wipe your database when making the switch to EPG123 and SD? I thought that step 0 was optionally required. Is this done by utilizing the boot to safe mode and emptying the contents of c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome as previously discussed?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:19 pm

Step 0 can still be considered optional, but certainly advised. By running TV Setup again and not agreeing to the terms of service for the EPG, that should disconnect you completely from Rovi. The problem doing it this way is that the database is messy ... if you search by category, actor, or movie genres, it is a mess. The Rovi crap should die out eventually, but the first time you see epg123/SD, and remember what the WMC experience used to be, you'll probably never go back.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm

garyan2 wrote:Step 0 can still be considered optional, but certainly advised. By running TV Setup again and not agreeing to the terms of service for the EPG, that should disconnect you completely from Rovi. The problem doing it this way is that the database is messy ... if you search by category, actor, or movie genres, it is a mess. The Rovi crap should die out eventually, but the first time you see epg123/SD, and remember what the WMC experience used to be, you'll probably never go back.
So how do you not wipe your database when making the switch to EPG123 and SD? I thought that step 0 was optionally required. Is this done by utilizing the boot to safe mode and emptying the contents of c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome as previously discussed?

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Sammy2 wrote:... So how do you not wipe your database when making the switch to EPG123 and SD? I thought that step 0 was optionally required. Is this done by utilizing the boot to safe mode and emptying the contents of c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome as previously discussed?
You just need to stop the services for the rcvr and sched. Then delete then restart them. You don't need to boot into safe mode at all. run services.msc to do this or use Net stop xxxx as mentioned in step 0.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:45 am

There's nothing here about going into safe mode. Is it necessary to do so?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm

choliscott wrote:The folder is C:\Program Data\Microsoft\eHome

The files & folders people are deleting (without having to do the Uninstall & Reinstall WMC is the mcepg*.db file(s) & the folder(s) of the same name. I usually found this easiest to delete these under safe mode.
So mcepg2-0.db and mcepg2-1.db on my system..
Attachments
Capture10.JPG

DaveInPa

Post by DaveInPa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Sammy2 wrote:There's nothing here about going into safe mode. Is it necessary to do so?
It can be done in safe mode, but you can also stop the Media Center services that would normally prevent you from deleting those folders/files.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 am

Yes, both the .db files & the folders with the same name. Another method that I have tried, was to delete the contents of the ehome folder, which also works
Sammy2 wrote:

The files & folders people are deleting (without having to do the Uninstall & Reinstall WMC is the mcepg*.db file(s) & the folder(s) of the same name. I usually found this easiest to delete these under safe mode.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:36 pm

choliscott wrote:Yes, both the .db files & the folders with the same name. Another method that I have tried, was to delete the contents of the ehome folder, which also works
Sammy2 wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't going to delete the folders.. Now I know.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:37 pm

glorp wrote:^Agreed. It is certainly possible to revert from EPG123 as well since you can always repeat Step 0 then just proceed with normal, MS TV Setup. The only loss is scheduled series recordings that have to be re-set up.
I am not sure about that, I only get a serious error has occurred when I try that and can only go back to epg123.

glorp

Post by glorp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Skybolt wrote:
glorp wrote:^Agreed. It is certainly possible to revert from EPG123 as well since you can always repeat Step 0 then just proceed with normal, MS TV Setup. The only loss is scheduled series recordings that have to be re-set up.
I am not sure about that, I only get a serious error has occurred when I try that and can only go back to epg123.
Perhaps you need to revert/remove the 2 registry settings for guide T&C acceptance before running setup to get back to MS?

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:48 pm

skybolt do you have any images / snapshots from before the change?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:05 pm

STC wrote:skybolt do you have any images / snapshots from before the change?
No, sorry. I was trying to reproduce the issue and could not not revert back to the old Rovi epg. Right now I have epg123 working but if I try and revert back I get the serious error message at the end of the 7MC setup.

EDIT: I just re-read your post, by images did you screen shots? if so then I answered correctly. I do have a hard drive image I can restore to to re-create the error, but its a lot of work to do that because it's an older image from months ago.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:14 pm

I think he meant a disk image from just before you converted to epg123. It is always a good idea to make a disk image before making any kind of changes to your system that might break it.