Getting ready to switch to EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Yeah, for when things go unexpectedly up the creek, you need a get out of jail card.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:48 pm

Is this usable with EPG123 to restore the recording schedule??

And maybe this should be posted in the "Introducing EPG123" thread?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:00 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Is this usable with EPG123 to restore the recording schedule??

And maybe this should be posted in the "Introducing EPG123" thread?
No, because the series IDs are different in the new metadata/lineup.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks!

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:18 pm

I do have an image but it's months old. I don't want to take over sammy's thread, I only posted that because from my experience you can't just roll back once you convert to epg123. I just want Sammy to know what my experience was before he plunges in. So if you make a back up image before converting, which I didn't do, you should be in good shape.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:03 pm

do these entries change when not agreeing to the guide terms of service in step 1.3 and therefor need to be changed back in step 1.5?
Attachments
registry.JPG

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:28 pm

I believe that is the premise, I didn't check before and after though. I just checked what is currently there and they are set like in step 1.5. I did re-image and roll back to Rovi, so my settings are from a completed setup, if that helps.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Skybolt wrote:I believe that is the premise, I didn't check before and after though. I just checked what is currently there and they are set like in step 1.5. I did re-image and roll back to Rovi, so my settings are from a completed setup, if that helps.
I suffer from analysis paralysis at times but I want to have a complete and clear understanding of what it is that I am doing beforehand. Tomorrow is Saturday and I will have some time in the morning to run through the whole set up. I'm just mocking through the steps right now. I even fired up EPG123 and put in my SD log-in information but that is as far as I've gone with that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Sammy2 wrote:do these entries change when not agreeing to the guide terms of service in step 1.3 and therefor need to be changed back in step 1.5?
That is correct. When not agreeing with the ToS, the 2 registries are cleared. We restore them in 1.5.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:11 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:do these entries change when not agreeing to the guide terms of service in step 1.3 and therefor need to be changed back in step 1.5?
That is correct. When not agreeing with the ToS, the 2 registries are cleared. We restore them in 1.5.
So the entries still appear in regedit but have different values or they are gone and need to be put back in to the registry? I have not added entries in the registry before only changed those that already exist so I'm not too familiar with it. I don't usually edit the registry at all. Maybe your software can be made to just do it? There are other tools on here that do that so I'm just wondering.. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:
So the entries still appear in regedit but have different values or they are gone and need to be put back in to the registry? I have not added entries in the registry before only changed those that already exist so I'm not too familiar with it. I don't usually edit the registry at all. Maybe your software can be made to just do it? There are other tools on here that do that so I'm just wondering.. Thanks for all your hard work on this!
The entries are still there. fAgreeTOS reverts to a value of 0, and strAgreedTOSVersion reverts to an empty string when you disagree to ToS. I had thought about having epg123 make the changes but didn't want to deal with user access privileges and all that. Maybe later in the development
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 pm

garyan2 wrote:That is correct. When not agreeing with the ToS, the 2 registries are cleared. We restore them in 1.5.
garyan2 wrote:The entries are still there. fAgreeTOS reverts to a value of 0, and strAgreedTOSVersion reverts to an empty string when you disagree to ToS. I had thought about having epg123 make the changes but didn't want to deal with user access privileges and all that. Maybe later in the development
Have you thought through what happens when someone reruns TV Setup after installing EPG123 successfully ? Since the T&C are agreed to in the registry will this not result in MS/Rovi suckiness reinfecting the MC ? It's certainly a realistic scenario if someone needs to make a tuner change, e.g.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:00 pm

glorp wrote:Have you thought through what happens when someone reruns TV Setup after installing EPG123 successfully ? Since the T&C are agreed to in the registry will this not result in MS/Rovi suckiness reinfecting the MC ? It's certainly a realistic scenario if someone needs to make a tuner change, e.g.
When you run through TV Setup again, it will require you to agree to the ToS again as well, so it will be the same as an initial setup. That is however a good point to support including the registry mod in epg123 for 1 less step to have to remember when changing tuners.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:04 pm

garyan2 wrote:
glorp wrote:Have you thought through what happens when someone reruns TV Setup after installing EPG123 successfully ? Since the T&C are agreed to in the registry will this not result in MS/Rovi suckiness reinfecting the MC ? It's certainly a realistic scenario if someone needs to make a tuner change, e.g.
When you run through TV Setup again, it will require you to agree to the ToS again as well, so it will be the same as an initial setup. That is however a good point to support including the registry mod in epg123 for 1 less step to have to remember when changing tuners.
In this case the optional Step 0 is not required because the database will not be polluted with Rovi but rather populated with Schedules Direct. If running TV Setup for whatever reason one would need to start over at Step 1. I get that.

Maybe my analysis paralysis will come to some good here.. LOL!

If you have the Registry Hacks built into EPG123 it merely needs to be run elevated, correct?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:09 pm

One other question comes to mind. Should extenders be powered down during this procedure or does stopping the ehome service in Step 0 accomplish this?

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 pm

garyan2 wrote:When you run through TV Setup again, it will require you to agree to the ToS again as well, so it will be the same as an initial setup. That is however a good point to support including the registry mod in epg123 for 1 less step to have to remember when changing tuners.
I believe you 100% but what does fAgreeTOS do then or maybe more importantly why does WMC think it needs T&C agreement still ? Just put the guide on the TV menu strip and there's something else that really defines agreement ?

I've been trying to think through this for a couple of days about how to revert if needed, how to rerun tv setup, but my head starts to hurt, LOL.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:16 pm

glorp wrote:
garyan2 wrote:When you run through TV Setup again, it will require you to agree to the ToS again as well, so it will be the same as an initial setup. That is however a good point to support including the registry mod in epg123 for 1 less step to have to remember when changing tuners.
I believe you 100% but what does fAgreeTOS do then or maybe more importantly why does WMC think it needs T&C agreement still ? Just put the guide on the TV menu strip and there's something else that really defines agreement ?

I've been trying to think through this for a couple of days about how to revert if needed, how to rerun tv setup, but my head starts to hurt, LOL.
It is a Microsoft Control thing. They want you to agree to the ToS for their guide and these Registry Entries tell them that you agree. Maybe, before downloading guide data each time their servers check this entry in your registry?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
glorp wrote:

It is a Microsoft Control thing. They want you to agree to the ToS for their guide and these Registry Entries tell them that you agree. Maybe, before downloading guide data each time their servers check this entry in your registry?
I don't know if it is so much a control thing as it is an ego thing. Why in the world would anyone want to use a guide other than the guide provided by Microsoft?!? It also may be a privacy/legal thing ... in the process of setting up and providing the guide, some information is transferred across the internet such as your service, lineups, possibly IP address. OR, and probably even more likely, is simply the ToS agreement is part of the TV setup and providing the logic to determine whether you already agreed or not wasn't worthwhile. :crazy:
- Gary

glorp

Post by glorp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:28 pm

OK. I confirmed this on my last remaining unconverted MC that is still on MS/Rovi.

It seemed to me that it did not always ask for re-confirmation of guide T&C on an already setup system if you had confirmed before but I just went through Tasks->TV->TV Signal->Set up TV Signal. When I got past the Region, ZIP stuff it did indeed ask me to confirm agreement to the T&C again. I guess it had been so long since I had had to run TV set up my memory was bad and I thought this step could be skipped by MC if it saw fAgreeTOS = True on a EPG123 installed system. More specifically one that had been MS/Rovi and was then converted. No worries. Carry on with the good work :)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:47 pm

OK..

The deed is done and all is well. So can I now restore my re-mapped channels that have been saved using Guide Tool previously or do I need to go back in and re-number the channels?

Also, in Guide Tool, I'm only seeing RTW line up on the right side. To show other line ups do I have to select them in Schedules Direct??

Thanks.

BTW, It took forever to download data from tmdb as it kept pausing:
Attachments
guidetool.JPG
tmdb requests.JPG