Getting ready to switch to EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Sammy2 wrote:OK..

The deed is done and all is well. So can I now restore my re-mapped channels that have been saved using Guide Tool previously or do I need to go back in and re-number the channels?

Also, in Guide Tool, I'm only seeing RTW line up on the right side. To show other line ups do I have to select them in Schedules Direct??

Thanks.

BTW, It took forever to download data from tmdb as it kept pausing:
I've never used that feature of Guide Tool, so can't speak to that. Should be okay to remap and your listings will follow no problem. Guide Tool doesn't show the epg123 listings for some reason, so the lineup selection will be empty since we denied the guide TOS during setup.

TMDb only allows 40 requests in a 10s window (IIRC), so that is what all the pausing is for. You were evidently scanning through movie channels that SD didn't have many posters for already so we try TMDb. Image results are archived in the guideImages.xml file for use on updates to avoid calling on SD or TMDb for future image requests.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:26 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:OK..

The deed is done and all is well. So can I now restore my re-mapped channels that have been saved using Guide Tool previously or do I need to go back in and re-number the channels?

Also, in Guide Tool, I'm only seeing RTW line up on the right side. To show other line ups do I have to select them in Schedules Direct??

Thanks.

BTW, It took forever to download data from tmdb as it kept pausing:
I've never used that feature of Guide Tool, so can't speak to that. Should be okay to remap and your listings will follow no problem. Guide Tool doesn't show the epg123 listings for some reason, so the lineup selection will be empty since we denied the guide TOS during setup.

TMDb only allows 40 requests in a 10s window (IIRC), so that is what all the pausing is for. You were evidently scanning through movie channels that SD didn't have many posters for already so we try TMDb. Image results are archived in the guideImages.xml file for use on updates to avoid calling on SD or TMDb for future image requests.
Attached is the guide tool xml file. So nothing here will disrupt EPB123? I can restore this and get my channel numbering back?
Attachments
channel list in guide tool.JPG

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:01 pm

After seeing the xml file, I don't think it will work. If Guide Tool requires the WmisUId to do what it needs to do, then it will probably not work. Worst case is it won't work ... I wouldn't expect it to hurt epg123 any.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:22 pm

garyan2 wrote:After seeing the xml file, I don't think it will work. If Guide Tool requires the WmisUId to do what it needs to do, then it will probably not work. Worst case is it won't work ... I wouldn't expect it to hurt epg123 any.
Thanks.

I'll just renumber from scratch but how to get the Uverse line up in the right side of GuideTool?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:After seeing the xml file, I don't think it will work. If Guide Tool requires the WmisUId to do what it needs to do, then it will probably not work. Worst case is it won't work ... I wouldn't expect it to hurt epg123 any.
Thanks.

I'll just renumber from scratch but how to get the Uverse line up in the right side of GuideTool?
The epg123 lineup won't show in Guide Tool for some reason. The only thing you can do there is rename, renumber, enable/disable, delete ... but no matching.
- Gary

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:17 pm

I created a clone of my main C:\ drive to an identical SSD over the weekend and now have a working copy. I plan on deleting WMC next weekend and performing the setup using EPG123 and SD for my program guide. If something goes south all I have to do is swap out the drives and reboot. The one thing I hate about doing this is having to set up all of my season passes again from scratch. It's especially a pain for any shows that aren't currently airing because I have to remember to set them back up when they air again. It will be worth it if I never have to worry about Microsoft pulling the plug on our guide data.

Long Live WMC!

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:46 am

I don't think it would be very hard to create a tool to convert the old Series (season passes) to work with an EPG123 converted system. There is an MXF format (XML text file) backup of them maintained by WMC and I would think you could plug in the new seriesId for each Series (assuming you had a way to get that). You could then use loadmxf to import the modified file in to your converted WMC.

Maybe one day it could even be implemented as part of EPG123...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 am

garyan2 wrote:The epg123 lineup won't show in Guide Tool for some reason. The only thing you can do there is rename, renumber, enable/disable, delete ... but no matching.
Not true anymore ... found the secret and some future release will show in Guide Tool.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:34 am

Space wrote:Maybe one day it could even be implemented as part of EPG123...
Sorry, not a direction I want to take epg123 ... maybe as a stand alone utility. EPG123 is going to be strictly a guide builder and maintainer; not a transition tool.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:07 am

garyan2 wrote:
garyan2 wrote:The epg123 lineup won't show in Guide Tool for some reason. The only thing you can do there is rename, renumber, enable/disable, delete ... but no matching.
Not true anymore ... found the secret and some future release will show in Guide Tool.
Thanks for looking into that! Any idea as to when?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:07 pm

garyan2 wrote:
Any update on this? Is this in the forthcoming 0.9.0 release?
Sammy2 wrote:One other question comes to mind. Should extenders be powered down during this procedure or does stopping the ehome service in Step 0 accomplish this?
Let me add that I had to disable them and other things such as ServerWMC and Ceton Echo services in Task Manager to be able to delete the database files before I could proceed.

You may want to include this information in the guide on your website and on the Wiki here.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:04 pm

Yes, other third party apps that hook into WMC may also need to be disabled.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:41 pm

I guess booting into safe mode accomplishes the same thing but I was able to get EPG123 working without doing that but finding and stopping various services and processes in task manager until I was finally able to delete the database files necessary for EPG123 to work.

glorp

Post by glorp » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:57 pm

^Same thing. Either way accomplishes it. Just need to get the programs out of memory so they don't lock files in that directory.