Minor Text Display Formatting Issue

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
glorp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Minor Text Display Formatting Issue

Post by glorp » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 pm

The "Show Name: Season XX, Episode YY" string appended at the end of an episode description needs one or two leading spaces before appending. See attached graphic.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:45 am

glorp wrote:The "Show Name: Season XX, Episode YY" string appended at the end of an episode description needs one or two leading spaces before appending. See attached graphic.

Done...next release. This is an unintended consequence of adding the episode number. There was actually 2 new lines between the end of the description and the start of the series/season/episode info. MC just stripped those out. I actually really hate that the only place MC uses the short description is on the guide ... not anywhere else like the recorded history or movie guide.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:45 am

Is it really necessary to include the show name? I mean it is right there on top, is there a good reason to also have it again in front of the season/episode info?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:28 am

Space wrote:Is it really necessary to include the show name? I mean it is right there on top, is there a good reason to also have it again in front of the season/episode info?
Nope. I was just following the convention MS had with Zap2it using the season branch ... [Series]: Season X.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:01 am

garyan2 wrote:
Space wrote:Is it really necessary to include the show name? I mean it is right there on top, is there a good reason to also have it again in front of the season/episode info?
Nope. I was just following the convention MS had with Zap2it using the season branch ... [Series]: Season X.
OK, well I would suggest removing it then, it just unnecessarily increases the size of the MXF file with repetitive info, plus there is less of a chance of the season and episode info being cut off in the display area if the description is long. I would even suggest just using the sXXeXX format to make it even more likely to fit.

KenL

Post by KenL » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:52 am

Space wrote:OK, well I would suggest removing it then, it just unnecessarily increases the size of the MXF file with repetitive info, plus there is less of a chance of the season and episode info being cut off in the display area if the description is long. I would even suggest just using the sXXeXX format to make it even more likely to fit.
It is *removed* with v0.7.4 and v0.7.5 when selecting sXXeXX. One or the other.

BTW I'm a fan of the sXXeXX convention. Same as TiVo, Roku , Netflix, etc... easier to see at a glance and it should order the "show grouped" episodes chronologically when arranged by title.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:41 pm

garyan2 wrote:
@garyan2: I am fine with removing the series name - It is redundant. I would prefer to keep the rest of it the same, some people are not as well versed in WMC as others and while they can understand Season: xx Episode: xx I am not sure they would understand SxxExx.
I am sure all of us here on this board will understand it, I am not so sure about kids, grand kids, grandparents etc.
Just my two cents. Keep up the great work!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:54 pm

^ pretty much my stance as well. The series title is redundant and can get pretty darn long so no problem taking it out. Reducing down to sXXeYY will not be well understood so I'm not going that far.

Personally, I'm a sXXeYY in the episode title kinda guy ... gives me a quick look to see what/when the episode is.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:24 pm

garyan2 wrote:^ pretty much my stance as well. The series title is redundant and can get pretty darn long so no problem taking it out. Reducing down to sXXeYY will not be well understood so I'm not going that far.

Personally, I'm a sXXeYY in the episode title kinda guy ... gives me a quick look to see what/when the episode is.
How about keeping the "Season:/Episode:" in the long description and use sXXeYY in the short description?

KenL

Post by KenL » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Space wrote:How about keeping the "Season:/Episode:" in the long description and use sXXeYY in the short description?
I suppose it could be 3(?) separate toggles if people prefer different combinations. But in my opinion Gary got it right the first time: sXXeYY prepended to episode title. As a toggle of course for those who can't use that.

TiVo actually does it like this:

Code: Select all

Here's Lucy
"Lucy's Birthday" (Sea 1 Ep8)
...appended to the episode title, however TiVo has advanced sorting options so that still works for optional chronological sorting regardless of record date.

I like it better on the beginning of episode title for MC... where it is now.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:26 am

A question... on some shows viewing the grid, the season/episode shows up in the short description. On most, it doesn't show up. Not a problem, just wondering why...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
-Alan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:50 am

What you are seeing is the long description. If the program does not have a short description, it shows the long description ... along with the Season X, Episode Y.
- Gary

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:54 am

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.
-Alan

glorp

Post by glorp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:33 pm

It's baaaack.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:44 pm

glorp wrote:It's baaaack.

Oops. Must have missed this when I added the 'append episode description' and changed the 'prefix episode title' checkboxes. It'll be a quick/easy fix.
- Gary